Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Benefits of going to a higher HP pump during replacement?

1. Back To Top    #1

Question Benefits of going to a higher HP pump during replacement?

Hi - I believe I have a pump impeller failure, as it's not turning anymore and I get a 'whining' from the motor. The pump is about 8 years old, and this is the second season I've had issues w/it. Last season I replaced the capacitor for the motor after it failed.

I get modest pressure on my 3 returns (2 seat spa jets and one main pool return) and was thinking of upgrading the HP of the motor to give me more circulation.

Currently I have a 1 HP single speed Hayward SP2607x10 and was thinking of replacing it with a 2 HP Hayward SP2615x20 unit.

I don't know a tremendous amount about what this would do for my pool though. Good, bad, too much flow? Waste too much energy?

pool is 16x23 vinyl. Pump is 1 foot above and 20 feet away from skimmer.

TIA
    NJ
    16x32 Vinyl lined IG, 1 skimmer, 1 return, 2 seat jets, 19.5k gal, Hayward 4800 fiber clear filter, 1hp pump, heater and in-line chlorinator

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Benefits of going to a higher HP pump during replacement?

A larger pump has no advantages and will use significantly more electricity. Stick with a smaller pump. I recommend looking at a two speed pump, which you can then run on low speed most of the time. That will save you money on electricity.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Benefits of going to a higher HP pump during replacement?

Thanks Jason for quick reply - I was thinking the 2 speed pump as well. Do I stick w a 1 HP 2-speed pump? Also, do I need a new Intermatic timer to run a 2-speed? Suggestions on timer choices?
    NJ
    16x32 Vinyl lined IG, 1 skimmer, 1 return, 2 seat jets, 19.5k gal, Hayward 4800 fiber clear filter, 1hp pump, heater and in-line chlorinator