Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: How I removed the copper bars from my intex SWG and plugged the holes in the cap

1. Back To Top    #1

How I removed the copper bars from my intex SWG and plugged the holes in the cap

Ta Da!! No bars, no leaks!
    Angie M.
    AG, 26' x 52" Intex Ultra Frame, vinyl, 14667 gal. And LOVING it!!! Hayward S15922S 1HP, 2SP pump and Hayward S220T Sand Filter. Hard plumbed with PVC, added second return, intex SWG, Hydro Pool widemouth skimmer. Set up in May 2012!
    N.E. Florida. TF100 - Best investment EVER! (Well, for the pool anyway)

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: How I removed the copper bars from my intex SWG and plugged the holes in the cap

Thanks for posting!
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: How I removed the copper bars from my intex SWG and plugged the holes in the cap

Nice fix!
    17K Kidney Shaped Pool Concrete (Diamond Bright) Pool, 3/4 hp 2 speed 115V Sta-rite Duraglas PEA5D-180L/P2R5D-181L (Impeller C105-92PS Diffuser C1-216P), 1.5 piping, Pentair CC100 Filter , Heat Siphon 100K BTU Heat Pump Pool Heater, Flow meter Blue White Flowmeter Model No. F-30150P, Hayward Astrolight SP0581N, SWCG CalimarTitanium Edition TE45 , Dolphin Nautilus Plus with CleverClean, Lakeland Florida

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks guys!
    Angie M.
    AG, 26' x 52" Intex Ultra Frame, vinyl, 14667 gal. And LOVING it!!! Hayward S15922S 1HP, 2SP pump and Hayward S220T Sand Filter. Hard plumbed with PVC, added second return, intex SWG, Hydro Pool widemouth skimmer. Set up in May 2012!

5. Back To Top    #5

And the reason to remove them was?

6. Back To Top    #6

You don't want copper in the water. It's unnecessary and causes staining and green hair.
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

7. Back To Top    #7

I had unplugged them and they were just hanging there taunting me. Some of the guys on here mentioned removing the bars in addition to unplugging them. I don't remember exactly why. But I figured they could still be putting copper into the water. Not to mention, it looks better without the copper bars.
    Angie M.

8. Back To Top    #8

So why they built into it? One would think maybe like the sacrificial anode rod in a hot water tank?

9. Back To Top    #9

The Copper helps sanitize the water I think. But unfortunately the copper will turn blond hair green. The guys on here recommend disconnecting them. I just went one better and removed them altogether. Basically because I could.
    Angie M.

10. Back To Top    #10

Angie, did you have problems with stains or green hair before you removed the bars? I've had my SWG for 3 years now with no problems associated with copper. The other 3 people I know with Intex SWGs haven't either. I wonder if this is an actual problem for other Intex SWG users.

Still, awesome hack!
    18 x 48 Intex Ultra Frame
    2500 gph cartridge filter
    Intex SWG

11. Back To Top    #11

My daughter consistently had green hair when we had a SWG. No green hair at all since I stopped using it.
    Sharkline Reprieve 15x52 (3/14). Still using Intex 2650 Sand Filter with Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 3/4 HP pump (6/15). Solar Cover cut into strips for easy removal, (2) 2*10 Space Saver solar panels. Swim Jet HD Robot (by Aquabot) (3/15). Chlorine Liquidator (4 gal). 4 person hot tub. Hard pipe is the way to go for improved flow! Retired Lil Shark (3/15). Starite Max E Therm 333k BTU Propane Heater w/ 24 gal tank (7/15).

12. Back To Top    #12

Did you unplug the bars or just ditch the system altogether?
    18 x 48 Intex Ultra Frame
    2500 gph cartridge filter
    Intex SWG

13. Back To Top    #13

No green hair. Just saw no reason for them to be there if they weren't plugged in. That and I like to play with all this stuff and wanted to see if there was a way to plug the holes if I took the bars out. I had it in my own little mind that it may obstruct the flow a little so I wanted them out.
    I loved my saltwater generator but it died about a year after I took the bars out . It was not fixable . So I replaced it with a HASA coordinator. I've just about got the hang of it.
    Angie M.

14. Back To Top    #14

Chlorinated not coordinator😄
    Angie M.