I'm so ready to fill in the pool

I don't know the answer on sand depth, but I wanted to post so I can come back to the thread easily (haven't found out how to bookmark on the new forum yet without posting). I love these clean up threads, and this looks like a great swamp -- can't wait to see you tame it!

I rinsed with the hose for 2 hrs and stuff is still coming out I did a big backwash on it before I shut the pump down yesterday and after reading the manual I'm 13ins low on sand. Is this a normal sand loss or should I be worried. We are thinking it's probably been 8yrs min since anything was done with the filter other then backwash rinse filter, the lines were all hard plumbed in so I assume that it hasn't been opened since it was installed. Will work on it again tomorrow. This pool will not ruin my summers again

After 3 hrs the water started coming out clear. I went with the deep clean first because in my mind why not help the filter as much as I can. I'm glad I did the sand is maybe only 3-4 inches over the laterals. Glad I figured that out

Is this results from the new test kit? Bring down ph first to 7.2 before you start slam mode. You might have to add acid more than once. 8.2 is highest it reads so it may be higher. Test in 30 mins and dose again if necessary to get it down. :)

I just want to encourage you.. By following this forum and getting "to Know" your pool you will be miles ahead for years on the pool maintenance. Study pool school and keep a positive attitude. Scrub and vacuum while you are SLAMing. I had a "clear" pool but a lot of stains on the bottom. I also could not pass a OCLT test for two weeks on my little bitty 7200 gallon pool. However now I have crystal clear water and a great swimming experience for my grandkids. So Hang in there. Your pool will clear up and the world will be good !!!!

Ok can't wait to get this done. Wife gave me till the 4th

As mentioned before, this could take weeks. As said by someone else in another thread, "it takes as long as it takes". Managing expectations is important.

The end of the SLAM process seems to go the slowest regarding day to day changes. Don't stop until you pass ALL 3 tests required...clear water, OCLT AND CC's.

It will get clear though, and cheaper by this method than any other.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Ok so this is what I got from test
Chlorine is 0
Cya is 40
Ph is 8.2 or above
Ta is 60
It's a fiberglass pool so I didn't do calcium I can if it's important

Do I need to drop the ph or use the calculator and start bleaching
I would check the CH number, just to know. Low CH is no problem. High CH can still cause scaling, even in a fiberglass pool. And you can't attack it with a wire brush. You might need to drain some water to lower CH, and in that case, don't waste time or chemicals treating water you'rte just going to dump.

If the Ch is okay, then plug all your numbers into pool math and let it calculate the acid dose. Give it half an hour to mix, maybe brush a little to ensure it's really spread out, and then recheck pH. If you're reading 8.2, it could actually be higher. So it might take a second treatment. You will need to know the new TA to get the right acid dose if that happens.

If you aren't draining any and the pH is good, jugs away!

Welcome to the forum :wave:

Just a word of encouragement. Because it hasn't been opened in 2 years it's going to take some time and a lot of bleach to clean up. Once clean it's pretty easy to maintain. Once you start to SLAM it will seem you are throwing your money (bleach) into an endless hole but that is what a green monster does, it eats bleach. You need to have patience and shortly it will be light green, you'll start to see steps, the shallow bottom, a better color of blue and finally the deep end. It won't be fast but when you are done it will be worth it.

If you read a couple postings of green monsters that owners are ready to fill in or just shoot themselves you'll see you aren't alone and if you see the before and after shots it might give you hope !!

Quick question about great value it's 121oz but says same amount as 182oz. Do I go off of the 182 amount
Just plug in the strength. Most likely it's 8.25% The bottle sizes only matter when you're talking jugs.

It is all marketing... they claim that 121 ounces at the new 8.25% strength is the same as 182 ounces at the old 6% strength. It's not...but that's why it says that.

I think they mean the concentration level of the bleach. Probably 121 oz of 8.25% is equal to 182 oz of 6.0 % bleach. Just plug the percentage into the pool calculator and it will tell you how much to add. Which will probably be alot for now. Good luck!!!

Ok so I'm doing the slam.
Test results before starting
Chlorine 0
Cya 50
Ph 7.2
Ya 60
Calcium 300
Using the initial 20fc goal we added 6 jugs
Hour later FC 12.5
Added 3 to go back to 20
Hour later FC 11.5
Added 3 to get back to 20
Hour later FC 10
This time I set the goal for 30 since I'm losing about 10 an hour.
Question my understanding for the slam is it needs to stay at or above 20fc for the best results. Is this correct or am I over doing it?

I agree forget the bleach until you have a test kit. I learned the hard way, PH balance FIRST!!!!!! And know your CYA level. I wouldn't think it would be high but if it is bleach is a waste. If your PH isn't right you use more bleach and with high chlorine levels a ph test isn't accurate so get that in control first. 1 step at a time. I had a swamp too and I was so ready to turn it into a planter. Happy to be swimming right now!!!!!!!Thanks to everyone here!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.