Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Plumeria

1. Back To Top    #1

Plumeria

We have 2 different plumerias that we bought while in Hawaii.....about 15 yrs ago.
    This year we got blooms on one of them. Does anyone else grow these? Around North Texas, we have to bring them inside during the winter.

Finally completed March 2014
    IG 27,300 gal 35'x16' 3.5'/5.5'/8' diving pool, Pentair Intellichlor IC40, De FNS 60, 3HP Intelliflo VF pump, Easy Touch 4, Kreapy Krauly Platnium, 3/4 Hp booster pump, raised stone wall w/ 2 stone scuppers, Stonescapes aqua blue mini pebble plaster

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Plumeria

Stunning! Had neighbors in Houston that grew several of them. I haven't tried them unfortunately.
    Finally Done! - 21x34 IG, SWCG, depth - 3.6 - 4.6 - 6.6, Pentair IntelliFlow 3050 vs+svrs, 60 sq ft Pentair DE Filter, 400k BTU Heater, Polaris 280 w/.75 hp booster pump, Pentair EasyTouch wireless, 38 sq ft raised spa, wet edge Barbados quartz finish - ODK w/36 in Napoleon grill

3. Back To Top    #3

Wow they are beautiful!
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

4. Back To Top    #4

Yes, I am growing them, too! I have three very small ones with yellow flowers. A friend gave me cuttings from her tree.
    Down here, they can grow pretty large and you find them all over. They smell wonderful, don't they?
    Swimming!: 19x32 IG rectangular pool, 22,500 gallons; 3' - 6.5'; open spa w/ 6 jets; raised wall w/ 1 sheer descent and 2 minijets, 2 color-changing LED pool lights, 1 spa light; Jandy 2 1/2 HP 2 speed Pump, Jandy cartridge filter (320 SQFT), Diamondbrite Cool Blue

5. Back To Top    #5

How do you plant them for we got a few stalks from a
    friend that visited Hawaii.
    18k free form IG w/spa (4 jets), Paramount in floor cleaning system, Starite system 3 filter, Jandy 2hp ePump, Sta-Rite SR400LP Maxi-therm propane heater, Jandy aquapure/apurem 1400 SWCG, Jandy automation PS4 w/PDA, IntelliBrite 120v 5-G LED pool & spa lights, 2" piping and (3)4x12 (5)4x10 Fafco Sunsaver Solar Panels.

6. Back To Top    #6

It's been a long since I planted ours from HA, so I took the following from http://www.theplumeriasociety.org/index.cfm.....

"When you are ready to plant the cutting, dip the cut end in RooToneŽ or other root hormone with fungicide. Plant it shallow in sand or perlite (potting soil, etc.) excellent drainage is necessary. Stake the cutting for support or allow it to rest against side of container. Water very sparingly but keep the soil moist. Place the newly planted cutting in strong or full sunlight. Bottom heat helps promote root formation and growth and can be accomplished by placing the container on sun-baked concrete. Watch for new leaf growth as your sign that roots have formed (usually 6-8 weeks). Tip cuttings may bloom the first year but these are usually flowers from latent buds already in the tip on the mother plant, Cuttings generally take one or more years to produce their own blooms."
    IG 27,300 gal 35'x16' 3.5'/5.5'/8' diving pool, Pentair Intellichlor IC40, De FNS 60, 3HP Intelliflo VF pump, Easy Touch 4, Kreapy Krauly Platnium, 3/4 Hp booster pump, raised stone wall w/ 2 stone scuppers, Stonescapes aqua blue mini pebble plaster

7. Back To Top    #7

They are easy plant here in Florida, Towney. It helps a lot to use the root hormone powder. First wet the end going in the ground and then dip in the root hormone powder. They need full sun otherwise they grow funny trying to reach the sunlight.

Do you have single stalks or "V" shaped?
    Swimming!: 19x32 IG rectangular pool, 22,500 gallons; 3' - 6.5'; open spa w/ 6 jets; raised wall w/ 1 sheer descent and 2 minijets, 2 color-changing LED pool lights, 1 spa light; Jandy 2 1/2 HP 2 speed Pump, Jandy cartridge filter (320 SQFT), Diamondbrite Cool Blue

8. Back To Top    #8

What ever we did this year we need to do more often. Our other plumeria is in bloom now.

9. Back To Top    #9

Gorgeous! I bet they smell fantastic too.
    Finally Done! - 21x34 IG, SWCG, depth - 3.6 - 4.6 - 6.6, Pentair IntelliFlow 3050 vs+svrs, 60 sq ft Pentair DE Filter, 400k BTU Heater, Polaris 280 w/.75 hp booster pump, Pentair EasyTouch wireless, 38 sq ft raised spa, wet edge Barbados quartz finish - ODK w/36 in Napoleon grill

10. Back To Top    #10

Thanks. Yes they do smell great. In all the years we have had them, they have only bloomed a few times. They are definately adding to our tropical backyard oasis.

11. Back To Top    #11

TFP Guide

737mech, You might want to check the pH of the soil and research if there is a specific pH level they "like" and specific fertilizer. Some plants will grow but not flower without being in just the right environment. I just have iris, day lilies and peonies. Pretty basic but it adds some color to an otherwise bland river rock border around the concrete apron of the pool.
    '70s IG Vinyl 32K gal, Lazy L, Hayward SuperPump 1.5hp 120V, S240 Sand Filter W/DE
    Solar Blanket, Well Water, Borax Added, TF-100 tester. ?° too cold
    1979, 275gal Conway Emerald Spa P-100-2, ES-2 Spa Pack, bromine floater, indoor
    TF-100, Best test kit - TFTestkits.net
    Please help keep the lights on, become a TFP Supporter!

12. Back To Top    #12

I've read that they need a fertilizer that is around 10,50,10 if they do not bloom. This will be the third summer that I've had mine and last year it bloomed. I've started the fertilizer about a month ago and the leaves have darkened to a deep green but no blooms yet this year.

I have in-laws that have 2 large trees in their backyard that bloom every year, so jealous.
    16k gal plaster with raised spa, Jandy DEV60 filter, 2 HP 2-speed SHPF Jandy Stealth pump
    Hayward Aqua Rite T-15 SWCG, Jandy LXi 400k BTU NG heater, 350 sq.ft. of Sun Star solar panels, TF-100 Test Kit, Dolphin s300i Cleaner
    Test Kits . Pool Math . Chlorine/CYA Chart . The SLAM Process

13. Back To Top    #13

jro33176

3 single stalks, one has "key west red" written on it. Where would you find root hormone powder? We were told to use Cactus Soil for planting, correct?
    18k free form IG w/spa (4 jets), Paramount in floor cleaning system, Starite system 3 filter, Jandy 2hp ePump, Sta-Rite SR400LP Maxi-therm propane heater, Jandy aquapure/apurem 1400 SWCG, Jandy automation PS4 w/PDA, IntelliBrite 120v 5-G LED pool & spa lights, 2" piping and (3)4x12 (5)4x10 Fafco Sunsaver Solar Panels.

14. Back To Top    #14

Gorgeous!!

My MIL has a huge purple one, and the fragrance can almost knock you over sometimes. Love them, but these are really beautiful.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

15. Back To Top    #15

Quote Originally Posted by ping View Post
    I've read that they need a fertilizer that is around 10,50,10 if they do not bloom.
    I got some fertilizer from Calloways early this year. The middle number is 52. I attribute the abundant blooms this year to this ferilizer and having them close to our arbor where they get morning to about noon direct sunlight then some shade as the day goes on.

16. Back To Top    #16

Update: A seed pod formed last year and it finally opened this weekend. I now have a bunch of seeds that I will try to grow. There is a new bloom forming on a newly rooted plumeria that got broken last summer. Another bloom is on one of the original plumerias. I wasn't expecting to see blooms at all this year, so it was a nice surprise when I noticed them.

17. Back To Top    #17

My white with yellow throats are blooming like crazy, however my pinks are slow bloomers!

JOHN
    AquaMaster Deluxe 8000 AGP, 5500 gallons, 12x18. Liquidator and Pool Rover JR.
    1st Pool so go easy on me I'm using a TF 100.

18. Back To Top    #18

We have them also. They were all planted last year when the pool was completed

19. Back To Top    #19

Those all look great! Wish we could plant ours in the ground instead of potting them. It gets too cold here for them to survive a winter.

20. Back To Top    #20

LMGTFY - http://lmgtfy.com/?q=How+to+transplant+a+Plumeria

Cool cat run above! ^^
    Chris - aka cwescapexlt4x4
    (Build 8/26/14 - 10/17/14) in-ground Presidential Pools 15K gallon salt water pool Pentair Inteiliflo pump, Regal Blue Pebble, Clean & Clear filter, in-floor cleaning,
    LED light, 3' sheer spill, 2 benches, large Baja step. / Pergola by Booth Built 19W x 14D // Outdoor Kitchen, W/Primo grill and BBQ Coach kit for the island.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast