Hayward heater installed. Now what?

Apr 8, 2013
Battle Creek, MI
The new Hayward H100ID1 has been successfully installed and tested on a limited basis today. I have a few questions:

1) I assume the rather low-tech thermostat runs on the principle that when it's on a low setting, the heater shuts down after the incoming pool water reaches a modest gain, and at a higher setting it continues to run until the incoming water is much warmer -- not that setting the thermostat controls the intensity of how much the water is being heated (if that makes any sense). It's either on and heating as much as it can and then off, not varying how much it is heating the water as it passes through.

2) In theory, my pump is supposed to be flowing 50 gpm and the heater is rated for 20-70 gpm (if memory serves). Is the efficiency of the heating process at all like the solar, whereby only a certain flow rate will hit its sweet spot, much like with the solar panels, or do I just divert all the water through the heater and assume that is the most efficient way to heat the water? My pressure at the filter rose only a little more than 2 psi with the bypass valve fully closed, thus running all return water through the heater.

3) Anything else I need to be looking for to get the most out of my Hayward heater?

The heater will heat your water until the desired temp is reached and then it will shut off. When the water cools down to a degree less than the desired temp, the heater kicks back on and heats. Provided you left the heater on and ready to heat.

As long as the pump is pumping enough water to trigger the pressure switch to activate the heater, you're good. Push as much water thru the heater as possible.

Have a great time swimming in warm water!

The new Hayward H100ID1 has been successfully installed and tested on a limited basis today. I have a few questions:

1) I assume the rather low-tech thermostat runs on the principle that when it's on a low setting, the heater shuts down after the incoming pool water reaches a modest gain, and at a higher setting it continues to run until the incoming water is much warmer -- not that setting the thermostat controls the intensity of how much the water is being heated (if that makes any sense). It's either on and heating as much as it can and then off, not varying how much it is heating the water as it passes through.

2) In theory, my pump is supposed to be flowing 50 gpm and the heater is rated for 20-70 gpm (if memory serves). Is the efficiency of the heating process at all like the solar, whereby only a certain flow rate will hit its sweet spot, much like with the solar panels, or do I just divert all the water through the heater and assume that is the most efficient way to heat the water? My pressure at the filter rose only a little more than 2 psi with the bypass valve fully closed, thus running all return water through the heater.

3) Anything else I need to be looking for to get the most out of my Hayward heater?

Did you have someone install the heater? I have purchased the same unit. Trying to add a propane tank to it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.