Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Mike59

1. Back To Top    #1

Mike59

I am excited to be here and finally take some control over my pool.
    I have been reading through different threads and I know more now then I have in the 15 years I had my pool. (still have much to learn)

I am done with the stores! I never understood how important pool chemistry was. I'd look at my dip sticks and estimate what to throw in.
    Or I'd go to the pool store and do whatever they recommend.

For the last 3 years I have been fighting with keeping chlorine levels. People would tell me my water is "locked" because other than lowering the level for winter, it's never been fully changed since the pool was installed (20 years ago). Others would say there is no such thing as locked. Some would say I don't have any stabilizer. Last year a place told me everything would be fine if I put CYA in. I did....lots. Went back and still no reading.......told me to put more in (actually gave it to me for free and guaranteed it would work). Well it did!!! My CYA went up to near 150.
    No one ever mentioned how important ph was.

I've been going to Leslie's for years. This last time the guy said your CYA is 100. You need to drain your pool and stop using stabilized cholorine (Chlor-Brite). I said last time I was here that is what you guys have always recommended. Plus 3" pucks. He said I needed to use Powder Plus. I said I just spent over $100 on Chlor Brite. He flipantly just said, well that's up to you. I'm just telling you what you need to do.

Now I know.

I ordered my K-2006 DPD kit but won't get it for a week or two (should have ordered it from here...sorry, didn't know at the time).

Right now 2 pool stores said my CYA is 100 and one said 90...so I know its high.
    My ph was 7.1 and 6.8....so I know its low.

I decided to drain about 1/3 of my pool (in progress as I write this) and will be refilling with city water (hose) this weekend.
    Water company only charges $3.73/1K gallons. Sewer company charges flat rate regardless of use. So I'm really happy about that!

I'm going to buy some Bleach and Borax and keep on hand.

I will start a thread once I get the pool refilled and have some numbers to report.

Thank you to everyone for dedicating your time and expertise to those who were always scared to understand the right way to care for our pool.

Mike

15K gal, IG Vinyl, DE filter (more data to come in my signature)

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Mike59

You might hold off on the borax for now. That's an "option". You can aerate the PH up cheaper if you have one. Welcome to the forum!
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

3. Back To Top    #3

Welcome to TFP!

Is the pool green or clear at this point?
    TFP Moderator Chris V. ~16K Pool & Spa, 48NSF DE, IG Plaster Circa 2000, Intermatic PE653, Challenger pump with a 2 speed B2984, 20gal stenner chlorine injection, Houston, TX
    One cannot follow Islam and Christianity at the same time, nor can one follow pool store methods and TFP at the same time.
    Pool School -- Pool Math -- TF-Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

Welcome Mike! You're gonna love the TFPC way!
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks for the welcome guys!

The pool is clear. The one pool guy said he wouldn't recommend draining, but I'm tired of seeing CYA that high.

It's a slow drain. I hooked up a hose to my sliding board connection in the ground and running pool pump (I have a floor drain). The hose is running up to my kitchen drain (don't want to flood the neighbors or get a ticket for putting water in street drains).

I plan to drain approx. 1/3 of the pool...will make sure to keep water at least a couple feet in low end.

I will hold off on Borax.
    16K gal, IG Vinyl, Hayward DE Filter EC-65, 3/4 HP pump, Raypak R266A Gas Heater, Hayward Chlorine Feeder (Retired), Dolphin cleaner. K-2006 w/ Speedstir.
    Pool 18yrs - Liner 14 yrs

6. Back To Top    #6

Welcome!

Hey, does your local pool store have one of these to help them advise the customers?
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

7. Back To Top    #7

Until you get a kit with results you can verify you may want ot hold off on that drain and fill. Pool stores get the CYA wrong more often than they get it right.
    TFP Moderator Chris V. ~16K Pool & Spa, 48NSF DE, IG Plaster Circa 2000, Intermatic PE653, Challenger pump with a 2 speed B2984, 20gal stenner chlorine injection, Houston, TX
    One cannot follow Islam and Christianity at the same time, nor can one follow pool store methods and TFP at the same time.

8. Back To Top    #8

Richard, not sure what you are asking. Sorry.

Chris V.....I had several pool stores all test CYA over the last 1.5 years and its always been high. I'm ok with draining...it'll only cost be about $20 for the water per the water company. And it's only a partial drain.
    16K gal, IG Vinyl, Hayward DE Filter EC-65, 3/4 HP pump, Raypak R266A Gas Heater, Hayward Chlorine Feeder (Retired), Dolphin cleaner. K-2006 w/ Speedstir.

9. Back To Top    #9

Richard is the local giggle maker (AND has forgotten more about pools than I know). He's insinuating in his own unique way that any pool store advice is entirely random, subject to revision and generally as accurate as throwing darts blindfolded. Also instead of like Wheel of Fortune where you win something, your pocket book is siphoned.

Congrats on finding the best place to help you take control of your pool and welcome!
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by Mike59 View Post

Chris V.....I had several pool stores all test CYA over the last 1.5 years and its always been high. I'm ok with draining...it'll only cost be about $20 for the water per the water company. And it's only a partial drain.
    Cool - just wanted to make sure you were "in the know". At $20 I would do the exact same thing to get a jump start on it.

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by Mike59 View Post

Let me put up the companion graphic

16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by Richard320 View Post
    Let me put up the companion graphic

+1 love that one too!

Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir

13. Back To Top    #13

Hi Mike59,
    Welcome aboard!
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

14. Back To Top    #14

Thanks everyone. Let me know if I should start a new thread.
    Discouraged this morning. After draining 1/3 of water and refilling CYA hasn't moved.
    Since I didn't get my test kit yet, I went to 2 stores that tested this morning.
    Here is their readings. At this point I don't want to drain again until I do my own readings but want to know your suggestions on what to add now.
    I bought Bleach: sodium Hypochlorite 8.25% and a box of Borax and soda powder.

Store 1 and store 2 readings:
    Ph 7.2 & 7.2
    FC 0 & 0
    TA 85 & 70
    CH 150 & 80
    CYA 100 (same place was 90 prior to drain/fill) & 95
    TDS ? & 600
    phosphates ? & 200

I'll learn to use calc, but just want suggestions on best way to start.

Bleach? How much?

Thanks and Happy Father's Day!

15. Back To Top    #15

2 options: Get some FC up to match your "current" cya level and wait on the test kit. OR: Drain another third and refill and match FC to 60ish cya level. I'd probably do another partial drain.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

16. Back To Top    #16

Sorry, but what do you mean by match?
    Are you saying get a FC reading of 100?

17. Back To Top    #17

Hi Mike,
    what woody means is Match your FC to the CYA. They are not the same levels, Its a ratio thing.
    Here is a recommended levels chart. Determine your CYA and then the chart tells you what the FC should be.
    http://www.troublefreepool.com/conte...art-slam-shock
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

18. Back To Top    #18

I'd just get some chlorine in your pool till the test kit arrives. Pool store CYA results are not often reliable. Perhaps add enough bleach to get to the appropriate level for the CYA readings you've gotten, but until you get an accurate self test, it's hard to make good recommendations.

19. Back To Top    #19

Thanks guys. That will be my plan. Thanks for the link to the chart. I'm going to add chlorine. I tried to run the exe file for amount of chlorine but it doesn't run on my apple device. I'll start with half a gallon and check in 4 hours. Sorry for being so needy!

20. Back To Top    #20

Your cya could be 20 or 200. Key is ... Don't trust the pool store.

Pool math is linked in my signature or in the blue bar above, it isn't an exe (it's a web page) so you shouldn't have any trouble using it.

Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast