Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Adding MA safely

1. Back To Top    #1

Adding MA safely

In another thread I read, "Lower the bottle into the water (keep the opening a few inches above the water) and slowly pour that way. I see some vapors, just make sure the wind is blowing away from you. "

How do you measure the amount you are adding when pouring directly from the bottle? Or is a guessed approximate amount okay?
    14'x28', 11.7K gal, IG, vinyl. Automatic pool cover, 1hp Hayward single speed pump, Hayward sand filter, Hayward heat pump, Hayward Navigator, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir, Intellichlor IC15 SWG

2. Back To Top    #2

Adding MA safely

I measure mine out into a plastic cup that has been labeled acid with marks on the side at 16, 24 and 30 oz.

Then pour gently in front of a return with the pump on high.
    TFP Moderator Chris V. ~16K Pool & Spa, 48NSF DE, IG Plaster Circa 2000, Intermatic PE653, Challenger pump with a 2 speed B2984, 20gal stenner chlorine injection, Houston, TX
    One cannot follow Islam and Christianity at the same time, nor can one follow pool store methods and TFP at the same time.
    Pool School -- Pool Math -- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Adding MA safely

I've been pouring MA into a 2 quart plastic measuring cup and slowly pouring the measured amount in front of the deep end return. But when I read "Lower the bottle into the water" I thought that would be a lot easier and safer, but how to measure pouring directly from the bottle?
    14'x28', 11.7K gal, IG, vinyl. Automatic pool cover, 1hp Hayward single speed pump, Hayward sand filter, Hayward heat pump, Hayward Navigator, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir, Intellichlor IC15 SWG

4. Back To Top    #4

I think people that use this method just eyeball it. If you have to add a quart that's 1/4 bottle.

I personally use a measuring cup and dilute into a 5 gallon bucket of pool water. Some here have said that this technique add more steps, and thus more exposure, but I find I get less fumes as I am not pouring slowly for a long period of time.
    TFP Method Advanced Intermediate
    • 17,500 gallons - In Ground - Plaster - Hayward Swimclear 3020 Cartridge Filter - Sta-Rite Max-E-Glas Main Pump upgraded with A.O. Smith B2980 E-Plus New Centurion Two-Speed Motor - Polaris 280 Cleaner with Polaris PB4-60 Booster Pump - TightWatt2 Timer - Taylor K-2006 Test Kit - Pool Pilot Digital Nano SWCG

Helpful Links: Pool School, BBB for Beginners, How to Shock (hint...it's a process not a product), Chlorine/CYA Chart, Jason's Pool Calculator

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

Yeah, the larger the pool you have, the more you can "eyeball" the amount. I am able to do that in my pool (43k) but it would be a somewhat trickier (and overdose prone) in a 5k pool.

You just have to work out a common sense solution that best fits your comfort level.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

My favorite is in my spa when Pool Math tells me to add 1.7 ounces... drip drip drip, done.
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by JVTrain View Post
    My favorite is in my spa when Pool Math tells me to add 1.7 ounces... drip drip drip, done.
    I'm visualizing ...
    TFP Moderator Chris V. ~16K Pool & Spa, 48NSF DE, IG Plaster Circa 2000, Intermatic PE653, Challenger pump with a 2 speed B2984, 20gal stenner chlorine injection, Houston, TX
    One cannot follow Islam and Christianity at the same time, nor can one follow pool store methods and TFP at the same time.
    Pool School -- Pool Math -- TF-Test Kit

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by JVTrain View Post
    So your wrist is calibrated, three drips = 1.7 ounces? Kinda reminds me of the "butt-dyno" in the motor-sports performance world.
    TFP Method Advanced Intermediate
    • 17,500 gallons - In Ground - Plaster - Hayward Swimclear 3020 Cartridge Filter - Sta-Rite Max-E-Glas Main Pump upgraded with A.O. Smith B2980 E-Plus New Centurion Two-Speed Motor - Polaris 280 Cleaner with Polaris PB4-60 Booster Pump - TightWatt2 Timer - Taylor K-2006 Test Kit - Pool Pilot Digital Nano SWCG

Helpful Links: Pool School, BBB for Beginners, How to Shock (hint...it's a process not a product), Chlorine/CYA Chart, Jason's Pool Calculator

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by svenpup View Post
    So your wrist is calibrated, three drips = 1.7 ounces? Kinda reminds me of the "butt-dyno" in the motor-sports performance world.
    haha. butt-dyno.

let's put it this way. pH was about 8-8.1, pool math called for 1.1 ounces (just checked what I actually did) to get to 7.2. After 3 drips and 20 minutes of circulating the pH was 7.2. Some would call it lucky (my wife) but I say I'm calibrated.

Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

10. Back To Top    #10

I pre dilute. I measure my acid very carefully, then pour it into a half full five gallon bucket of pool water and then pour that in. It's not necessary, and maybe obsessive, but that's the way I do it.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

11. Back To Top    #11

I used pool math to figure out how much acid it takes to lower PH 0.1, in my case it's about 16 oz or 1 red solo cup. 7.8, 4 solo cups to get it down to 7.4. It's close enough, I also have a 2 quart Rubbermaid pitcher I use. Also always pour with yourself standing up wind. Seeing the "smoke" is interesting in hot humid Florida.
    17K Kidney Shaped Pool Concrete (Diamond Bright) Pool, 3/4 hp 2 speed 115V Sta-rite Duraglas PEA5D-180L/P2R5D-181L (Impeller C105-92PS Diffuser C1-216P), 1.5 piping, Pentair CC100 Filter , Heat Siphon 100K BTU Heat Pump Pool Heater, Flow meter Blue White Flowmeter Model No. F-30150P, Hayward Astrolight SP0581N, SWCG CalimarTitanium Edition TE45 , Dolphin Nautilus Plus with CleverClean, Lakeland Florida

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by bobodaclown View Post
    I used pool math to figure out how much acid it takes to lower PH 0.1, in my case it's about 16 oz or 1 red solo cup. 7.8, 4 solo cups to get it down to 7.4. It's close enough, I also have a 2 quart Rubbermaid pitcher I use. Also always pour with yourself standing up wind. Seeing the "smoke" is interesting in hot humid Florida.
    I noticed your pool was about the same volume as mine, yet I know it takes less than half that amount to lower my pH by 0.1; I was very perplexed, messing around with PoolMath, then aha! You must have borates in your pool.

Anyway, I'm one of those who just "eyeballs" it and pours directly from the bottle into the pool in order to minimize handling the MA. I have practiced with water, and I'm pretty "calibrated" as to what 1 cup is.
    16K gal IG 16'x28' pebble since 2011; Pentair Easytouch; Sta-Rite Intellipro VS pump; Sta-Rite 400 sq. ft. cartridge (System 3); 6 Heliocol Solar Panels; Aquamatic Cover; Legend pressure-side cleaner with Hayward booster pump; TF100 Test Kit.