Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: At my wits end - pool won't clear

1. Back To Top    #1

At my wits end - pool won't clear

For the last 4 weeks I've been battling my pool. I know I've lost 3 weeks due to my stupidity of not getting all the leaves and debris out of my deep end. Everything I was able to scoop out is out. I slammed my pool starting Friday and it went from milky to less green, to the color it is in the pictures. It is NOT getting clearer daily. It has been stuck looking like this since Monday. What am I missing?

18x36 IG Vinyl 23,000 gal, AO Smith 48Y 1hp pump, Jacuzzi Laser Sand Filter 250L, T104R, K2006, Polaris 280

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: At my wits end - pool won't clear

What are your test readings?
    18 X 36 (21,000 gallons?), IG Vinyl, Tagelus High Rate Sand Filter (Model TA 60/60D - 60 gpm), 1.5 HP Waterway 48 Frame Special Flow Rate Pump (Model SMF-115), Installed June/July 2013, Auto Polaris Cleaner with separate pump, Inline Chlorinator (NOT USING - Using the BBB Method), Waterfall, Stadium Seating Entry, TF-100 w/ SpeedStir (Wichita, Kansas)

3. Back To Top    #3

Make sure you have gotten out all of the solid debris in the pool you possibly can. Piles of leaves on the bottom can leave you stuck at just this point.

The other two issues are chemistry and filtering. The color of the water suggests a problem with the filter, but we need more information to be sure. It would help if you could post a complete set of water test results, and describe how the filter has been behaving, does the pressure go up steadily, have you been cleaning/backwashing the filter?
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by KSpoolguy View Post
    What are your test readings?
    Before I left for work I was at 15ppm FC, 7.4 PH, TA 80, CYA was 50. Last night at 10pm everything was the same but FC was at 18.5. I added bleach to get it up to 20. I thought for sure the mounds of leaves at the bottom were the reason I could not get ahead of the algae. I don't know now.
    18x36 IG Vinyl 23,000 gal, AO Smith 48Y 1hp pump, Jacuzzi Laser Sand Filter 250L, T104R, K2006, Polaris 280

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by JasonLion View Post
    Make sure you have gotten out all of the solid debris in the pool you possibly can. Piles on leaves on the bottom can leave you stuck at just this point.

The other two issues are chemistry and filtering. The color of the water suggests a problem with the filter, but we need more information to be sure. It would help if you could post a complete set of water test results, and describe how the filter has been behaving, does the pressure go up steadily, have you been cleaning/backwashing the filter?
    I'll post complete test results soon as I get home. Pressure goes up steadily. Normal pressure is 18. I usually backwash at 23. I've been backwashing/rinsing daily.

sent from my Verizon Galaxy S3 on PPC.

6. Back To Top    #6

Make sure you have gotten out all of the solid debris in the pool you possibly can. Piles of leaves on the bottom can leave you stuck at just this point.

A few years back I replaced my laterals and pipe vertical pipe in the tank. Could a bad o-ring or spider gasket cause my issue? I've never replaced either. I'm going to pull the valve apart and take pictures.

7. Back To Top    #7

A bad spider gasket could let water bypass the filter. However if that was happening your filter pressure would not go up from 18 to 23, so the multi-port valve is unlikely to be involved in the problem.

You mentioned "mounds of leaves at the bottom", if there are lots of leave in the pool that is almost certainly the issue.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

8. Back To Top    #8

A bad spider gasket could let water bypass the filter. However if that was happening your filter pressure would not go up from 18 to 23, so the multi-port valve is unlikely to be involved in the problem.

You mentioned "mounds of leaves at the bottom", if there are lots of leave in the pool that is almost certainly the issue.
    The backwash port had a slight drip from it the last time I took the backwash hose off. Should I see if it still leaks. Here is what the gasket looked like yesterday.

My test came back
    13.5 FC
    7.2 PH
    80 TA
    50 CH
    50 CYA

9. Back To Top    #9

What's your CC level?
    16x32 IG 18k vinyl, Hayward S210t, Ecotech EZ motor, Kreepy Krauly, clear solar cover, Taylor K-2006 FAS-DPD

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by ec987 View Post
    What's your CC level?
    CC was 1.

11. Back To Top    #11

Keep your SLAM level up and brush and sweep your pool.
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

12. Back To Top    #12

JasonLion,

What information can I provide to help determine whether or not the filter is the issue? Should I by some DE and toss it in the skimmer to see if it comes out the returns.

Quote Originally Posted by Casey View Post
    Keep your SLAM level up and brush and sweep your pool.
    I'm not sure what to do. This quote worries me.

While SLAMing, the appearance of the water should improve each day, though perhaps only by a little. If you fail to see any improvement you might have a problem with your filter, or have a higher CYA level than you think, or bad circulation, or have some other more complex problem.
    It is like I've hit a wall. I literally have seen no improvement in 3 days.

13. Back To Top    #13

You have seen no improvement but is the pressure still rising in the filter? You mentioned the pressure is rising steadily and you've been backwashing daily.

If that's the case it looks to me like the filter is working and it's just taking that annoying time that it takes at the end of a SLAM for the filter to finish filtering everything out.

That's my $.02 but it might be only worth what you paid for it! lol
    18' x 48" (42" water depth) Intex Metal Frame 6,700 Gallons
    Hayward Power-Flo LX 1.0 HP pump
    Hayward Pro Series S166T Sand Filter
    Original Intex Floating Skimmer

14. Back To Top    #14

Quote Originally Posted by Beens View Post
    You have seen no improvement but is the pressure still rising in the filter? You mentioned the pressure is rising steadily and you've been backwashing daily.

If that's the case it looks to me like the filter is working and it's just taking that annoying time that it takes at the end of a SLAM for the filter to finish filtering everything out.

That's my $.02 but it might be only worth what you paid for it! lol
    Can I have a leak in the filter that is causing water to go by unfiltered which is slowing down the process? Maybe I just need to hunker down more and be patient. I wasted 3 weeks with leaves in my mounds of leaves in my pool. Perhaps I'm impatient because of that. It has been 5 days I think since I got the leaves out.

15. Back To Top    #15

I'm really not an expert on leaks and the like. (I hate leaks!)

It just really seems to me like its POP (Pool Owner Patience) time with the slow going sand filtration process.

Have you tried adding DE to the filter? It's suppose to help the sand filter the finer stuff faster. Where's that link..........

*edit*
    aha!

http://www.troublefreepool.com/conte...-a-sand-filter
    18' x 48" (42" water depth) Intex Metal Frame 6,700 Gallons
    Hayward Power-Flo LX 1.0 HP pump
    Hayward Pro Series S166T Sand Filter
    Original Intex Floating Skimmer

16. Back To Top    #16

How often are you able to get FC up to SLAM level of 20?

Just keep SLAMing, brushing & Vac'ing. Don't forget to scrub all the hiding places, like ladders, behind light niches, skimmer throats, etc.
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

17. Back To Top    #17

Quote Originally Posted by Butterfly View Post
    How often are you able to get FC up to SLAM level of 20?

Just keep SLAMing, brushing & Vac'ing. Don't forget to scrub all the hiding places, like ladders, behind light niches, skimmer throats, etc.
    Over the weekend I was SLAMing hourly until I went to bed. Now through the week SLAM in the morning and then hourly when I get home around 6pm.

18. Back To Top    #18

Quote Originally Posted by 94SupraTT View Post
    Over the weekend I was SLAMing hourly until I went to bed. Now through the week SLAM in the morning and then hourly when I get home around 6pm.
    Sounds good. Keep up the good work. You'll get there.

Here's a bottle of POP with popcorn
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

19. Back To Top    #19

This is about 28 hours later. I see some improvement. Thoughts?

20. Back To Top    #20

That is quite a bit of improvement. Hang in there and keep slamming. I thought I had all the leaves out of mine until it cleared up enough to see the bottom and I still had a small pile in the center of the pool. You may find something similar in your case as the pool clears. You are doing a great job!
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast