Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: cloudy water

1. Back To Top    #1

cloudy water

This is the first year I am trying the Trouble free pool method. My water is cloudy and I can not see the bottom of the pool. This problem began last year and was never resolved. I have a vinyl lined, in ground pool approximately 25,000 gallons with a sand filter. I have been adding bleach daily but it disappears quickly. My numbers today are

TA 190
    calcium hardness 250
    Free chlorine .5
    cc 50
    cya 40

I will add more bleach tonight but does anyone have any ideas regarding the cloudy water? The filter has been running nonstop for over a week. This problem started last summer and was never resolved with the help of a pool store in my area. The sand in the filter was changed last fall with no improvement. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: cloudy water

Quote Originally Posted by rhart View Post
    This is the first year I am trying the Trouble free pool method. My water is cloudy and I can not see the bottom of the pool. This problem began last year and was never resolved. I have a vinyl lined, in ground pool approximately 25,000 gallons with a sand filter. I have been adding bleach daily but it disappears quickly. My numbers today are

TA 190
    calcium hardness 250
    Free chlorine .5
    cc 50
    cya 40

I will add more bleach tonight but does anyone have any ideas regarding the cloudy water? The filter has been running nonstop for over a week. This problem started last summer and was never resolved with the help of a pool store in my area. The sand in the filter was changed last fall with no improvement. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks
    Is that CC really 50?

The solution is pretty simple, just time consuming: SLAM it. Plan to spend your weekend hunting for bleach and pouring it in the pool. Target 16 for your FC. Yes, 16. That will be 5 jugs of standard 8.25% Clorox, just for the initial dose. And every hour or two, at least another jug, maybe more, depending on what the test results say. You want to keep it at 16 for a couple days, until it clears up, the cc reading is below .5 and you don't lose any FC overnight.

Just study the instructions for the SLAM and follow them exactly.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: cloudy water

IGP, high CC and relatively low CYA for a first time TFPM user, my money is on ammonia eating the chlorine.
    8638 gallon 20'x52" Intex ultra frame round AG. 2650 gph Intex Sand Filter. Intex krystal Klear SWG. (newer model that includes copper ion generation) Hayward 1091LX skimmer, Kreepy Krauly lil shark. Taylor K-2006 w/speed stir and sample sizer. New this year, Intex PureSpa - dichlor-> bleach method for sanitizing.
    New pool, 16'x36' (approx 18000 gal) in ground pool, Haywood DE filter