Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Air bubbles in return jets

1. Back To Top    #1

Air bubbles in return jets

My pool has a lot of small air bubbled that come from the return jets.

What is the most likely cause of this problem?

Thank
    Tom

18 x 36 Grecian Polynesian Fiberglass Walls with Concrete bottom - 3 ft to 9 1/2 ft. deep -
    Hayward Variable Speed Super Pump SP2600VS 1 1/2 True HP,Hayward sand filter S200, and Hayward auto clorinator. Hayward 250,000 natural gas heater. PoolKeeper automatic water leveler. Loop Loc Ultra Solid Safety Cover. Hayward Color Logic 12 volt light. Dual Pool Deck Jets.
    Polaris 380 auto cleaner. Trouble Free Test Kit TF-100.

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Air bubbles in return jets

What is the most likely cause of this problem?
    A suction side air leak. There is an article in Pool School that may help you.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks, I have a pool man coming Monday but I just wanted to kinda know what kind of a problem I may be looking at.
    Tom

18 x 36 Grecian Polynesian Fiberglass Walls with Concrete bottom - 3 ft to 9 1/2 ft. deep -
    Hayward Variable Speed Super Pump SP2600VS 1 1/2 True HP,Hayward sand filter S200, and Hayward auto clorinator. Hayward 250,000 natural gas heater. PoolKeeper automatic water leveler. Loop Loc Ultra Solid Safety Cover. Hayward Color Logic 12 volt light. Dual Pool Deck Jets.

4. Back To Top    #4

Round up the usual suspects: low water level, stuck weir in the skimmer, loose drain plugs on the pump, poor seal on the pump strainer basket, and leaks at the fittings, especially any couplings.

In your particular case, I'd also add a good eyeballing of the inline chlorinator. You might be getting some venturi action in there and drawing air through the lid.

If you coat any suspicious areas with shaving cream one at a time and watch the bubbles, you might get lucky and locate the leak.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks
    Tom

6. Back To Top    #6

Problem solved: I use a Hayward 4 port valve SP0735 to switch the flow between main and skimmer. This valve has a little shaft 0 ring. This O ring was bad
    and there was where the air was entering my system.

I had a new one that I had ordered years ago as a replacement in case they ever quit making it so I would not have to replumb my system, so I just changed it out with the new one and now there are no air bubbles in my system.

This is for information only in case other people have a similar problem.
    Tom