Solar pump???

I think OP is inquiring about a main pump that is solar powered.

If so, I think you will find the cost to do so excessive. Main pumps require a lot of energy that is not easily obtainable ($$$$) with solar panels.

There are specialized pumps designed to work with solar panels. However, once you price them out you will find that they cost significantly more than the price of a conventional pump plus the electricity to run it, even if your electric rates are fairly high.

The topic of these speciality solar pump kits comes up from time to time, but I don't know of any members that have invested in them. Generally they are DC motor powered pumps that connect directly to a solar panel, this allows the pump to run at varying speeds depending on how much light is hitting the panel, and does not have to deal with power loss converting to AC, etc.

Ike

p.s. there are some of these listed on ebay at the moment, price is nearly $1,500 for the smallest pump, this does not include the solar panel or wiring, specs say minimum panel output needed is 720 watts (max panel 1,000)

Pentair Single 1.5 HP pump
Best thing would be to swap out the motor with a two speed and cut your energy cost by a factor of four. Shortening run time can help a lot too. Also at that rate a VS pump might make sense.

I saw a video on YouTube where a guy ran his vs pump with something like 5 solar panels and a couple inverters. It was running around 1150 watts I believe, and his solar system was making a little over 1200 watts. No idea how much he sank into the system, but it wasn't any kind of "kit". He assembled it all himself. So, it is possible, but would probably take a while to break even when compared to a 2 speed or vs pump running the minimum required time.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.