Back before I started using the TFP method just over a month ago, one thing I was unaware of was how low my FC was. You could call me one of the lucky ones because all I ever did was run my SWG for 3 hours a day and my pool stayed pretty much crystal clear ever since October of 2013 or so. My FC test always indicated 0 since I had lots of sun and my SWG wasn't getting it done enough. I did not have CYA or borates in the pool back then. Even after the winter here in Houston I just cleaned the dead leaves out of the pool and thought it was ready to go because the water was perfectly clear. My first cartridge filter that came with the pool lasted about 3-4 months and it was a cheap one.
I did notice on more than a couple of occasions that sometimes there were water-bugs in the pool. These are little beetle type bugs that can live in the water. I used to catch them in local streams when I was a kid. This was an indicator to me though that something with my water must be too weak because I had never been in any other pool where there were water-bugs. Note that there were never more than 1 in any given day but I had to wonder if something as big as a tiny water-bug wanted to live in my pool, what else might want to?
It was somewhere around then that I started looking into the actual condition of my water. My specs are nearly perfect now after several weeks of the TFP method. My water is nearly perfect. Maybe a little high on borates and TA and a little low on PH. I expect to resolve all of that over the next couple of days. I'm draining some water and just got my first box of the 20 Mule Team Borax.
Here are a few other questions I have:
Anyone else ever find critters in their pool as far as water-bugs go? How about bees, wasps, frogs, snakes or worse if there is such a thing? That reminds me that I also wanted to ask if there was a way to keep the bees from landing in the pool? My kids freak out when a wasp or bee comes near and I must admit that is my fault since I hate them and my kids can tell. I'd rather take on a poisonous snake in my pool than a wasp. I've caught wildlife my whole life but bees and wasps seemed to have gotten the better of these exchanges in my childhood.. LOL.
Another question that comes to mind is what is your perfect water temp? The warmest my pool has been so far this years was about 88 degrees and I still found myself sucking my teeth a little as I lowered myself into the pool via the ladder. I'm thinking that water at the 93 degree mark might be my perfect temp.
Last question: I have a borate guess strip tests but wonder if there is a borate "count the drops type test" that is more accurate? Anybody know? Thanks all!