Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: slamming pool

1. Back To Top    #1

slamming pool

when slamming pool do I stabilize at the same time?
    Pool Size - 6000 gallons
    Filter - Cartridge
    Above Ground Pool
    Vinyl

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: slamming pool

You should set your stabilizer first so you know what FC level is required for the SLAM. See the FC/CYA Chart.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by Gerri View Post
    when slamming pool do I stabilize at the same time?
    You can. But you need to know what your target CYA is - what that CYA you've added should raise it to - so you can use the appropriate level FC for your CYA.

Tell us a little more. What's going on? What does the water look like? What are your test results? Why are you SLAMming?
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

4. Back To Top    #4

The water looks like a milky greenish blue. Cannot see the bottom.

FC 0
    CC .5
    PH 7.8
    T/A 210
    CYA I am assuming none cause the black dot was visible when tube was completely filled

I have gotten the PH level down to 7.4

If you need anymore info just let me know.
    Pool Size - 6000 gallons
    Filter - Cartridge
    Above Ground Pool
    Vinyl

5. Back To Top    #5

So add 20-30ppm of stabilizer and then SLAM away.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

6. Back To Top    #6

ok but what is meant by ppm is that meaning set my goal number to that I feel so dumb.
    Pool Size - 6000 gallons
    Filter - Cartridge
    Above Ground Pool
    Vinyl

7. Back To Top    #7

ppm means... parts per million. Set your goal to 20-30.
    Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

8. Back To Top    #8

ok thank you i kind of thought that is what you meant
    Pool Size - 6000 gallons
    Filter - Cartridge
    Above Ground Pool
    Vinyl

9. Back To Top    #9

Stabilizer is CYA aka Cyanuric Acid. You buy it at the pool store, or walmart, or the pool section at a big box hardware store. For a pool your size, you only need 1 lbs to get to 30 parts per million. Dry volume = 3 cups. Wash your good measuring cup out well when you're done with it. You pour it in a sock or nylon and tie it shut and drop it in the skimmer or hang it over the edge of the pool in front of the return. It will take a few days to dissolve all the way. That's it.

Jugs Away!

- - - Updated - - -

Target 12 FC with 30 CYA.

16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

10. Back To Top    #10

ok before I asked about slamming and stabilizing at the same time I had already knew what my cya was and knew the appropriate level for FC so I had already added my bleach. I just didn't know if I should stabilize at the same time. So it had been about an hour before when i added the bleach and just checked and now it is reading my FC at 17.5 which when I started about an hour or so ago it was 0. Does that sound ok I just thought that was a big jump and I added exactly the amount it stated
    Pool Size - 6000 gallons
    Filter - Cartridge
    Above Ground Pool
    Vinyl

11. Back To Top    #11

If your CYA level is 30 your SLAM level is 12. Your pool volume could be off. Did you add the correct strength of chlorine into pool math ? Did you put in the target level of 12 ?
    You'll be ok. It'll come down. 😎
    Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

12. Back To Top    #12

At the time when I did it I only had my goal set on 10. So since it was 17.5 when I test it again should I add more if it is above 12? The way I was reading on slamming was like I might be adding alot of bleach Just sort of confused. Like I said earlier I feel so dumb.
    Pool Size - 6000 gallons
    Filter - Cartridge
    Above Ground Pool
    Vinyl

13. Back To Top    #13

At the time when I did it I only had my goal set on 10. So since it was 17.5 when I test it again should I add more if it is above 12? The way I was reading on slamming was like I might be adding alot of bleach Just sort of confused. Like I said earlier I feel so dumb.
    Double check you have all the settings on poolmath right. If the bleach is 12% and the calculator is set for 6%, you'll overdose. Also, if the volume defaulted to 10000, and your pool is only 5000, you'll overdose.

Relax a little. It's only a pool. Nobody's grading you on this. If FC is less than 12, you need to add. If it's above 12, you don't. Just take a reading and plug it into the now column and set 12 as the target and it will tell you how much to add. Tomorrow, the light bulb will go off and it will all make sense. With pool chemistry, you do a lot of learning by doing. Maybe you're just tired. Forget about it and pick it up again in the morning.

14. Back To Top    #14

And your not dumb. Nobody is born knowing this stuff. You'll get it with time. I promise. Just keep asking questions as the only dumb question is the one NOT asked ! 😎
    Jeff

15. Back To Top    #15

lol Thank you all I will post back tomorrow.
    Pool Size - 6000 gallons
    Filter - Cartridge
    Above Ground Pool
    Vinyl

16. Back To Top    #16

Just tested pool for FC and still 17.5. Vacummed up a lot of milky looking residue of some sort. As cloudy as the pool is (where I can't even see the bottom) when I scoop the water out that I am using to test with (which I do go down to about middle of pool) it is clear.
    Pool Size - 6000 gallons
    Filter - Cartridge
    Above Ground Pool
    Vinyl

17. Back To Top    #17

What was your CC ?
    Jeff

18. Back To Top    #18

It was 0. Also all the stabilizer I put in the sock last nite was 3 cups 1 oz and it is almost completely gone. I read where that might take several days to dissolve. Is that odd? I really appreciate your help Thanks
    Pool Size - 6000 gallons
    Filter - Cartridge
    Above Ground Pool
    Vinyl

19. Back To Top    #19

slamming pool

Sometimes it dissolves fast and sometimes it takes awhile. No problem with how fast or slow it dissolves. It can take up to a week to fully register on a test though. 😎
    Jeff

20. Back To Top    #20

ok so with my FC being 17.5 and my CC at 0 don't add anything? And then test again in about 30 minutes or so?
    Pool Size - 6000 gallons
    Filter - Cartridge
    Above Ground Pool
    Vinyl

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast