Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: hayward ec50a & ec50ac whats the difference

1. Back To Top    #1

hayward ec50a & ec50ac whats the difference

I am in the market for a new Hayward de filter (currently using a hayward perflex ec40) I am trying to figure our the difference in these new pumps are. can anyone help please?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: hayward ec50a & ec50ac whats the difference

As far as I know, the A model has the bolts around the belly where you take the head assembly off while the AC has the clamp/spring assembly in place of the bolts. I believe the shell and clamping method are the only difference and internally are the same. The parts guides are the same.

I have the EC50AC and it's been an excellent filter and the clamp is quick and easy to remove with a ratcheting 9/16 inch wrench.
    -- Guy --
    10K gallons in 21' Round 52 inch wall Aqualeader AG, Hayward Power Flow LX 1.5 HP pump motor, Hayward Perflex EC50AC DE filter w/Cellulose, Wide mouth skimmer, 2013 new Diver Dan (craigslist) to replace the faded old Hayward AquaBug. TF-100

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

I prefer the clamp style as sometimes the bolts can rust and make it very difficult to remove the lid. The only other complaint on the Perflex is the DE fingers are really expensive to replace so when it comes time to replace all of the fingers within the filter it is almost as expensive as buying a whole new filter.

4. Back To Top    #4

don't all Hayward de filters have the fingers?
    55,000 litres in ground, vinyl liner.
    Hayward 1.5 h.p super pump
    Hayward EC 40 DE filter

5. Back To Top    #5

No, only the Perflex series have fingers, the Pro-Grid series does not
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

The other thing to know is that the Perflex uses a bump handle system to clean the fingers, basically a plate which runs up and down the fingers to clean them. The Pro Grid uses a backwash valve to clean the grids, I personally like Pro Grid much better.