Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: MISS READ POOLMATH: for Slam TOO MUCH Bleach

1. Back To Top    #1

MISS READ POOLMATH: for Slam TOO MUCH Bleach

OMG, don't ever do a project half asleep. Cloudy and muggy in Houston, perfect for Slamming and killy the last of the stuff in my pool for a perfect summer. Well calculated that 40 CYA bumps up the SLAM to 24 for the Mustard kill. Well did not pay attention to the % on the PoolMath of bleach was 6% to add 4.3 128oz - BUT, I have 10% 128oz, should have only added 2.6.

Now I am at 37.5 instead of 24 - my footer has pool details, chems before start

FC 4
    CC 0
    PH 7.4 (brought down for slam)
    AK 100
    CYA 40
    CH 320

What do I do now?
    13200 gal, IG, plaster, built 1985, replastered 2012, Mytilus MA-90C cartridge filter, 2716 Blue Line In-ground Pump and Motor (1 HP), (manual clean/brush/test with Taylor K-2006, TFP since 2012) in Northwest Houston TX

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: MISS READ POOLMATH: for Slam TOO MUCH Bleach

Brush.

If the pool is cloudy or green, that excess FC will get used up pretty quickly. And luckily, it's plaster, so fading the liner is not a worry. Probably the only damage you've done was to your wallet and your pride.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

Don't worry it will go down in a day or 2.
    Screen enclosed 17K gal 16x30 IG with Diamond Brite finish, elevated 4 jet spa with spill over, Twin dolphin fountain, Hayward Ecostar pump[ Pentair intelliflo VS, Filter Sta rite Posi-Flo PTM 100, Aqua Cal heat pump, Tiger Shark QC robotic cleaner.
    Stenner peristaltic pump model 45MPHP10, 15 gal storage tank. TF 100 with Speed Stir.

4. Back To Top    #4

Brush it is - my biceps will get pumped up. Pool is clear and bright, but you can smell the bleach. Pride all gone, apparently around this house - if you wear readers YOUR ARE too old. Ahg..... Thank you. Have a great Memorial Day, and bless all those that served.
    13200 gal, IG, plaster, built 1985, replastered 2012, Mytilus MA-90C cartridge filter, 2716 Blue Line In-ground Pump and Motor (1 HP), (manual clean/brush/test with Taylor K-2006, TFP since 2012) in Northwest Houston TX

5. Back To Top    #5

oh, forgot to ask on original stream - do I wait unttil the chlorine count gets back to 24 to start the slam - or did I fast track the process?

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by EllieWilliams View Post
    oh, forgot to ask on original stream - do I wait unttil the chlorine count gets back to 24 to start the slam - or did I fast track the process?
    You HAVE started the SLAM, off to a roaring start! Check FC every couple hours and when it gets below 24, top it off again. Be sure to plug in the right bleach strength next time.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

7. Back To Top    #7

Now, it's raining, I will be paying for this all the live long day....

8. Back To Top    #8

Ok, guys, need some asuramces I am on right track - 35 went fast overnight down to 29 this morning before daylight. There is a monster in my pool! So adjusted for me being gone all day brought up to 34 and sure enough 14 hours later down to 23..5. So will adjust for night with enough to bring up to 34 since losing 10, but in theory, in the morning should have spent less, right? (Cause I am killing it) and I want to keep above 24 for CYA of 40.

9. Back To Top    #9

In theory, yes, each addition should be smaller than the last, assuming you test and dose at precise intervals. Also not you won't lose any to the sun overnight. I'd dose it right now to get to SLAM, and check and add more just before bed. Also note that you lose a percentage of the FC to the sun, not a fixed amount, so at higher concentrations, you lose more ppm.

10. Back To Top    #10

I have a weird question - developed a bad case of hives yesterday - could this be caused from the exposure to high chlorine? Only skin to water is to get good water for testing and excessive brushing.

11. Back To Top    #11

Hives all over or one part of the body? I've never heard of that happening...
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

12. Back To Top    #12

Itching all over but the hives are confind to joints and bends, which tells me more absorbtion then splash. Ruled out stress, food, etc.. only thing different is this project. Maybe the fumes, been raining a lot so the smell of bleach still there. Just thought would check. Thank you.

13. Back To Top    #13

Recheck your ph and alkalinity... I've seen one of those low cause rashes before, couldn't tell you which though...

Edit: forgot you can't check your ph with that high of chlorine... Doh!!

14. Back To Top    #14

Can you get rash from fumes or contact for the PH or Alk? You right can't right now but dgood to know, thank you!

15. Back To Top    #15

TFP Guide

Low PH is a measurement, not a product but yes.....my children have gotten very red itchy/irritated skin when our PH dropped. I think that is how I originally found this forum (I was really "new pool dumb"). It was borax to the rescue. Glad it happened as at that point I still had never walked into a pool store with a water sample. Year 3 with the pool.
    18*36*23 true "L" vinyl IG 29,000 gallons. SWG. TF-100 test kit.
    http://tftestkits.net/splash-page.html

16. Back To Top    #16

ok, all, 4 full days and still working it, wanted to drop a couple of numbers on you to see if I am on right track, lot of rain, but also lot of sunshine:

2014-0526 80 degrees
    FC 4.2 CC 0 PH 7.6 Ak 100 - 10am
    remember this is what prompted this string - I put in too much bleach due to misread of 6% vs 10%
    FC 35 - 11am
    FC 40 - 2pm
    FC 36 - 7pm
    FC 32 - 11pm
    2014-0527 80 degrees
    FC 29 - 4:30am (brought up to 34, cause gone all day)
    FC 23 (-11 in 15 hours) - 7pm (brought up to 34, cause bed time)
    2014-0528 82 degrees
    FC 26 (-8 in 12 hours) - 7am
    FC 22 (-4 in 4 hours) - 11am (brought up to 24)
    FC 11 (-13 in 7 hours) - 6pm (brought up to 34)
    FC 27 (-7 in 2 hours) - 8pm (brought back up to 34)
    FC 32 (-2 in 1 1/2 hours) - 9:30pm
    2014-0529 85 degrees
    FC 26 (-6 in 8 hours) - 5am
    FC 24 (-2 in 5 hours) - 10am (brought up to 34)
    FC 27 (-7 in 1 1/2 hours) - 11:30am (brought up to 34)
    FC 7 (-27 in 7 hours) - 6pm (brought up to 24)
    FC 27 - 7:00pm - looks like the 10% is really on the higher end of 12% bleach from pool store

does this make sense - cause I'm thinking this could go on forever - went through my 6 carton of bleach. The stain are fading - am brushing and cleaning. My pool was clear with the exception of that mustard algae, now it is looking brighter, whiter. So, I will keep going. Right? Remember dumbing up the pool for retirement, no lights no nothing in the pool. FYI: bring up to 34, due to work, and afraid it would drop to far and take longer to reclaim the drive.

Thoughts?

17. Back To Top    #17

It never goes on forever unless you let your FC levels get too low... as long as you keep them at shock level then the bleach *will* kill whatever is growing in the pool. When you let the FC level drop too far below shock level then whatever you mostly-killed can grow back and seek bloody revenge on the pool owner.

(the whole SLAM thing works better if you make it a bit personal )

Only thing I find a bit troubling is that you are losing a lot of FC during the day, so wondering if there's any chance your CYA level is actually lower than 40. If the CYA level is correct, wondering if it's worth taking the FC level up higher in the morning to keep it from dropping so low during the day ?
    Cedar hot tub, 680 US gallons - Snorkel wood-burning heater, canoe paddle, "offline" Intex 1000 GPH pump/filter with skimmer

18. Back To Top    #18

I checked every day for a week before doing this to make sure that CYA was correct. It is hot in Houston and my pool gets about 12 hours of sunlight this time of year, so not surprises but totally shocked at the day time loss.

19. Back To Top    #19

Quote Originally Posted by EllieWilliams View Post
    I checked every day for a week before doing this to make sure that CYA was correct. It is hot in Houston and my pool gets about 12 hours of sunlight this time of year, so not surprises but totally shocked at the day time loss.
    would I not also be losing the same amount if I do it every hour or every 12 hours?

20. Back To Top    #20

Yes, you would lose the same amount but if you check & top up FC levels every hour the FC level will never get much below shock level, while if you check & top up every 12 hours the FC levels are quite low for a good part of the day. At best that means algae isn't dying as fast as it should so the SLAM is taking longer than normal, at worst it means algae is growing back during the day which would make your SLAM go on forever.

Make sense ?
    Cedar hot tub, 680 US gallons - Snorkel wood-burning heater, canoe paddle, "offline" Intex 1000 GPH pump/filter with skimmer

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast