Drained, replaced water, now what?

Sep 10, 2013
Lowell, indiana
Last year I bought the tf-100 test kit after my CYA went through the roof and we couldn't control the algae.

We just filled our pool with fresh water and started the pump. If anyone could help me figure out where to begin I would greatly appreciate it..
FC=0
PH=8.2
TA=180
CH=50
CYA=0

Water is starting to get cloudy but it's clear..

Where do I begin? I think I need to slam it? But what and how do I adjust things to get to that point?

You need to add chlorine to get to 10. You need to add acid to get to about 7.2. You need to add CYA granules in a sock to get to 30 or so.

Are you starting tonight? I'll assume so.

If it's looking cloudy, get the chlorine in first. Nip it in the bud! While that's mixing, measure out your CYA and tie it in a sock or nylon and either drop it in the skimmer or dangle it in front of a return, off a pole or something. By the time you're done with that, half an hour should have elapsed. Add the acid. One lap around the pool with the brush to be sure things are well mixed. Go have a drink. Recheck FC. Add what you need to get to 10 again. Leave the pump on the whole time. Test the pH, TA, FC & CC again in the morning. Report back and receive your next instructions.

For a pool your size, 2 jugs of 8.25% Clorox will get you to 10+
37 oz of 31.45% acid will lower your pH. You can eyeball a quart and get close enough for now.
A whole 4 lb canister of CYA will take you to 32. Close enough. No measuring needed!

Thank you so much and I will do that. One problem...I only have 1/3 of a 4lb bottle of stabilizer granules left. Can I add that tonight and the rest tomorrow?? (Everything w/in 30 minutes drive is closed now) and if that's okay, I have everything else and am ready to follow your direction:) thank you again for your help!!

Good morning! I did what was recommended and here's my readings...

FC-5.5
CC-0.5
TA-130
PH-7.2

Water is not crystal clear but is the color it's supposed to be :)
Any input is greatly needed and appreciated!
Take FC back up to 10 and brush around to loosen any dead algae clinging to the walls. Keep an eye on the filter pressure. Add the remainder of the CYA. You're SLAMming!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.