1. Back To Top    #1

Such a thing as high chlorine

Fc 12
    Cc 0
    Ta 80
    Ph 7.4
    Cya 60-70
    Pump run time 8-5pm with generator at 70%

Does it matter that my FC is that high, or should I decrease % of generator or pump run time?
    17k gallon pool, pentair whisperflo pump 1hp, Pentair FNS Plus 36, SWG Hayward Turbo Cell 15 40,000g, blue quartz with pebble finish landings/bench, ultra pure water cleaner.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Such a thing as high chlorine

Your FC is high, but not dangerously so, with a CYA level of 70 and an SWG you want to target an FC level of 5 ppm
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

3. Back To Top    #3

That's still below shock level, so it's safe to swim in, but it doesn't have to be that high. Turn the SWG down to 50% and see what happens over the next week. If it's still above 5 or 6, turn it down some more and save your SWG. Wait -- are you planning on a big bash over the holiday weekend? Better leave it alone until after.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

4. Back To Top    #4

I'm going to lower percentage, this is the first time my cya is accurate since I had the pool built and the temperature has been unusually cool so that might be a good reason for not needing the salt cell to run at a higher %. Last year I had it running at 90%, but it was really hot and I'm sure I'm cya was a lot lower.
    17k gallon pool, pentair whisperflo pump 1hp, Pentair FNS Plus 36, SWG Hayward Turbo Cell 15 40,000g, blue quartz with pebble finish landings/bench, ultra pure water cleaner.

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by jrr View Post
    I'm going to lower percentage, this is the first time my cya is accurate since I had the pool built and the temperature has been unusually cool so that might be a good reason for not needing the salt cell to run at a higher %. Last year I had it running at 90%, but it was really hot and I'm sure I'm cya was a lot lower.
    Good work. The fact that you are able to articulate the above means you understand what's going on in your pool.

This is also why, even with an SWG, we recommend daily testing. Any change in air/water temp, bather load, etc., will change the FC consumption in the pool.
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry