Another swamp, is it worth it? Drain or gain?

Did you finish scooping out all the solids on the bottom?
I did as much as possible, got about 12 mesh bags full, I of course can't see but I'm sure there is still plenty down there.
I've scrubbed the walls and floor and will do some vacuuming tomorrow before I start the slam. Think Ive got it figured out now.
If you've got a bunch of stuff in the bottom, I'd recommend the leaf grabber, on that note though, doubt if I'll ever use it again,
because this ain't gonna happen again!!

Good, your on the right track then. Just make sure you get some CYA in there soon or much of the bleach will get destroyed by the sun. We recommend 30ppm for the SLAM process.

OK started 12 hours ago, I have a total of 6 gallons of bleach in now my number are as follows.

FC 11.5
CC 1.0
CH 75.0
TA 210
pH >8.2
CYA <20

I think I should keep adding a gallon untill I get FC to 14, does that sound right.
I have added powdered CYA but I guess it still isn't registering, or I dont know how to
do the CYA test correctly? Then green is now white! But man it is cloudy. I am backwashing every hour
and vacuuming the floor about every 3 hours. Am I overlooking anything, or does it sound like
Im on the right track? Thanks.

Now that you've added the CYA to get to 30. SLAM like it's at 30. Keep FC at 12. Test and dose with bleach as often as you can.

The CYA may not show up properly on the test for several days, so don't bother testing that for a few days.

Keep brushing and vacuuming but you should only need to backwash based on your filter pressure. When the pressure climbs 20% higher than when it's "clean," then backwash.

You'll have to excuse my crappy cell phone pics, it's not as clean as it looks. Very cloudy!!! That hose is all floating on top. It's a boulder swirl liner....if that gives any clue as to how the water looks. Yes, started Thursday around 4am. My wife thinks it should have been cleaned and cleared over night.

Remember...Don't stop SLAMming until it's completely clear...or it'll just go right back to where you started! Usually sand filters take a little longer to clear the water after the algae is dead so you might pass the OCLT and you might have less than .05 CC but you may have to wait a bit to pass that last test. I know I did...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Remember...Don't stop SLAMming until it's completely clear...or it'll just go right back to where you started! Usually sand filters take a little longer to clear the water after the algae is dead so you might pass the OCLT and you might have less than .05 CC but you may have to wait a bit to pass that last test. I know I did...

Thanks for the heads up, will do.
I don't know what any of my other chemistries are right now, I'm only checking FC.

That's fine. For a SLAM that's all you need to know. Only time you would be asked for more results is if it starts to drag out or some sort of problems come up. You aren't dragging so all is well!

Keep on keepin' on! :)

Sorry wife, it doesn't usually clear overnight. :( Even if you get all the algae killed quickly, the filter still has a lot of work to do!

Pass that POP (Pool Owner Patience) around! You'll probably need it. lol

OK, I'm tired of slamming, not really, but I'm getting frustrated. Last 2 days/night FC was at 12 and dropped to 10 after 8 hr morning test.
Today's readings after 14 total gallons of 10% bleach and 1/2 a canister of HTH brand CYA approx. 2lbs, the water I am replenishing with is just normal city tap drinking water (if that matters, I would say 1/2 the pool volume is city water) The cloudiness appears to be murky, but I'm not for sure how to describe it. I let the pool set undisturbed for 10 hours and it doesn't settle out. I am back flushing about every 10-12 hours, going by recommendations of 20 lb increase, it is actually normal at 26lbs and I'm back flushing when it gets close to 40lbs. Am I just being inpatient? Should I add the other 2lbs of CYA - scared to go overboard. But also judging by pH it needs more, should I go the muratic acid route? Any advice would be appreciated even if it is "Quit whining and stay the course!"

FC 12
CC 1
CH 125
TA 240
pH 8.0 litmus test
CYA <20

During a SLAM it is not necessary to test your pH. If your FC is over 10 the pH test reads artificially high. ;-)

CYA is usually not tested again until 1 week after you add it because it takes a while to show up on the test. If you added enough to get to your goal I'd wait at least that 1 week after the addition and retest before you add more. That way you are safer from overshooting the goal.

The filtering process takes a while! Keep on keepin' on!

*edit*

I noticed you said you let your pool set "undisturbed" for 10 hours? I don't know if that means pump running and no brushing/vacuuming or if you're saying you had everything off...
Just in case, you should have your pump/filter going 24/7 while you are SLAMming.

My lazy energy and money wasting self still hasn't bought a timer and my pump has been running 24/7 since last May. :shock: It's a sad state of affairs over here in procrastination land...

I'll bet ya if that pump had a tongue it would be hang'n out like a dog's in 100 degree weather !! It's probably like come on give me a break ! ?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.