Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Question on filer drain plug

1. Back To Top    #1

Question on filer drain plug

Installed a new one and wrapped the threads with Teflon tape but still leaks. Is there anything else I can use to stop the drip drip drip.
    Thanks
    Mark

EDIT: Filter drain plug !!
    Last edited by Mark R; 05-17-2014 at 01:02 AM. Reason: Misspelled on subject line
    12k gal Gunite/Hayward filter C5520BH with quad 33 inch filters. 2.5 hp motor. Pool is on south side, so full sun light. Spill over spa.
    Laar's heater LT250-Low NOx Gas Fired for pool/spa 250,000 BTU. Roof mount 6 panel solar system installed east/south. TF-100 test kit. May-September 100+ degrees out side.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Question on filer drain plug

I thought most (all?) filter drain plugs used an o-ring so no need for tape.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

I saw no o ring when I replaced the old one a few months ago. The new one came with out one. What could be my options, the new plug was by its self and the one I replaced had always used tape. Is there some other kind of seal I could use ? Or should I use more tape for a better seal. It's not a lot of water but it's very wasteful and annoying. I would like a solution to stop the minor leak.
    Thank you for the response
    12k gal Gunite/Hayward filter C5520BH with quad 33 inch filters. 2.5 hp motor. Pool is on south side, so full sun light. Spill over spa.
    Laar's heater LT250-Low NOx Gas Fired for pool/spa 250,000 BTU. Roof mount 6 panel solar system installed east/south. TF-100 test kit. May-September 100+ degrees out side.

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

Mine has an O-ring as well. The surface on the filter is not perfectly flat on mine so the O-ring is essential.

If you are out and about today, I would take the plug with me and buy an O-ring to fit and then some pipe dope. Try the O-ring by itself and if that doesn't work, apply the pipe dope in lieu of the teflon tape. One of those ideas should seal it.

I understand perfectly how annoying those minor leaks are.

PS - you might be able to find a diagram of parts for your filter and see if it calls for that O-ring.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks for your advice guys

6. Back To Top    #6

Here's some pics, pool store said no o ring or gasket needed. I don't usually take their advice at heart. So other then Teflon tape, pipe dope would seal it better and won't lock it in, right ? It does seem to be a very flat area, no curves where the plug goes.

Thanks

Sent -3 or -7

7. Back To Top    #7

In the Industry

1. It looks a little gnarled up like it's been forced open with the wrong tool. The mating surfaces may be damaged

2. Pipe dope will not set up so you can remove it when you want......it may or may not leak because of the above.

3. It still looks to me like a gasket is qappropriate
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

8. Back To Top    #8

Mark, are you sure of the model number? I'm finding lots of close numbers, but not that model.

All the filters that resemble yours list "1-1/2" Drain Plug with O-Ring" on the parts diagrams.

http://www.a1poolparts.com/-strse-38...ter/Detail.bok
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

9. Back To Top    #9

I was very careful when installing, I'll go to Lowes and get a gasket and some dope.

Thank you

10. Back To Top    #10

Ca you take a picture with the plug out and of the back of the plug?
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

11. Back To Top    #11

Mine is the one on the right

Thanks

Sent -3 or -7

12. Back To Top    #12

Sorry if it's blurry
    I'll get a better pic tomorrow

Plug pic too

Sent -3 or -7

13. Back To Top    #13

C5520BH model, the other is C4520BH

EDIT:
    Seems from the parts link it needs a gasket !

Sent -3 or -7

14. Back To Top    #14

Cool Re: Question on filer drain plug

Yes, needs an O-Ring. My fault for not doing due diligence and listening to someone at the pool store

EDIt: Trouble Free School saves the day. Again..

Thank you for this wonderful site

15. Back To Top    #15

I know everyone was worried about my 2 drips a minute lol

I installed O ring with a little lube and presto, all fixed !!

16. Back To Top    #16

Quote Originally Posted by Mark R View Post
    I know everyone was worried about my 2 drips a minute lol

I installed O ring with a little lube and presto, all fixed !!
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

17. Back To Top    #17

So it's leaking again, I took if off and it has a few hairline cracks in the new plug. Took it back and they gave me another one and installed it finger tight, lubed the O ring and Teflon Tape. Can anyone suggest a better drain plug then these plastics ones that are probably made in China ? With the dry weather and constant sun in the desert I think the plastic ones won't last. I take the drain plug out 3 or 4 times a year to clean the bottom of the filter.
    Thanks