Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Looking for new pump

1. Back To Top    #1

Looking for new pump

I am looking for a new pump as my Hayward 1HP is rattling .
    Interested in variable speed.
    My fuel costs are 32cents a kw.
    What are the advantages of variable speed and are they more expensive?
    11,750 gall. concrete, in ground pool in Barbados. Shallow (max depth 4'6"). New (May 2016) Hayward variable speed pump and SWG and (make?) PH controller. Hayward Star Clear filter (50 sq ft). History of algae but not since joining TFP! Surrounded by coconut trees and other palms. Serious white fly infestation of palms continues.

2. Back To Top    #2
    SW Louisiana

Re: Looking for new pump

Variable speed pumps can be more economic to run at low speeds, and let you easily fine tune your water flow for optimal performance. Given your fairly small existing pump you may want to look at one of the newer, smaller / more basic feature variable speed pumps such as the Hayward MaxfloVS. The down sides to variable speed pumps are their higher initial cost and potentially shorter lives due to more complicated electronics that are built into them.

Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~