Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: What to adjust first?

1. Back To Top    #1

What to adjust first?

I have my pool setup now. I've added chlorine and cynauric acid. This is my second year with the pool. Last year I set it up late in the summer and didn't get too much time with it.

Below are the results of my TF-100 testing kit for my 4600 gallon Ultra Frame Intex Pool with SWG and 2500 gallon/hr pump.

FC: 2.5
    CC: 0.5
    TC: 3.0
    TA: 60
    CH: 40
    CYA: 70

PH: ??

The pH is below 6.8 so I know I need to get that up.

What do I focus on first??
    4600 gallons, Intex Ultra Metal Frame 14' round 4' depth, SWG, cartridge filter pump, 2500 gph, Pool finish date: 7/16/13.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: What to adjust first?

I focused on getting my pH, FC, and CYA right first. Until CYA was where I wanted it, I of course was adding bleach each day as it lost it quick in the sunlight. That FC level is low for that CYA value too, so get FC up quick. Even though you have a SWG, you can still supplement with bleach. Did you see the table in Pool School, showing FC to CYA levels?
    24'x40' 25k gal Imperial Mountain Pond IGP, full 28 mil VynAll Ocean Breakers liner. All Hayward system: 140k BTU HeatPro heat pump, 3/4HP single speed TriStar 2" Pump, DE6020 filter, AquaPlus Automation/Salt Chlorination, remote controls, ColorLogic 4.0 lighting. Polaris 280 w/PB4-60 BP. TF100 & K1766 test kits. Rinox Palazzo pavers and Spherik coping. Pool installed 9/2013, project completed 6/16/14.

3. Back To Top    #3

I'd get that pH back into range, then check again on the rest.
    15'x48" 4500 gallon Intex pool, buried 1.5 ft. Pac-Fab Dynamo 3/4 hp pump. Hayward S180T sand filter, bought used. Taylor K-2006 test kit. Rocket mass heater based wood fired pool heater.

4. Back To Top    #4

What FC level do you think I should be trying to reach?

Quote Originally Posted by steveg_nh View Post
    I focused on getting my pH, FC, and CYA right first. Until CYA was where I wanted it, I of course was adding bleach each day as it lost it quick in the sunlight. That FC level is low for that CYA value too, so get FC up quick. Even though you have a SWG, you can still supplement with bleach. Did you see the table in Pool School, showing FC to CYA levels?
    4600 gallons, Intex Ultra Metal Frame 14' round 4' depth, SWG, cartridge filter pump, 2500 gph, Pool finish date: 7/16/13.

5. Back To Top    #5

PH first (soon!). After that raise FC, which is too low.

With CYA at 70, the normal FC range is 5 to 10.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

I added some bleach and soda ash. I will recheck the levels tomorrow.

7. Back To Top    #7

Okay here are the newest numbers:

FC: 4
    CC: 0
    TC: 4
    TA: 90
    CH: 60
    CYA: 60

PH: closer to 6.8 than prior day.

Going to add more soda ash to get the pH up. Any other suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by itodd View Post
    I have my pool setup now. I've added chlorine and cynauric acid. This is my second year with the pool. Last year I set it up late in the summer and didn't get too much time with it.

Below are the results of my TF-100 testing kit for my 4600 gallon Ultra Frame Intex Pool with SWG and 2500 gallon/hr pump.

FC: 2.5
    TC: 3.0
    TA: 60
    CH: 40
    CYA: 70

PH: ??

The pH is below 6.8 so I know I need to get that up.

What do I focus on first??

8. Back To Top    #8

Here are the results of my latest test:

FC: 11
    TC: 11.5
    TA: 100
    CH: 50
    CYA: 60

PH: 7.5

Any suggestions or are my levels good at this point? I realize the chlorine is high but that will drop. Do I need to add some more cynauric acid??

9. Back To Top    #9

For your SWG your CYA level sound be in the 70-80 range.
    Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

10. Back To Top    #10

What's the salt reading? If you're chlorinating by jug, CYA is actually a bit high. If you're using the SWG, and it's been at least a week since you added CYA, then you need a teensy bit more.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

11. Back To Top    #11

The salt reading is 3130. I was thinking I needed to increase the CYA a little. I'm always a little iffy when doing the CYA test (do I see the dot or do I not see the dot is always the question). The CYA has been in for a week now. I'm chlorinating with the SWG now. I started with bleach but now just the SWG. I will test the CYA again and then add some if I get 60 (using the pool calculator to determine how much).