Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Solar.... yes, no?

1. Back To Top    #1

Solar.... yes, no?

Thinking about getting a solar (black tubing) system installed. Any thoughts? Just trying to not have to plan on when we heat the pool (gas) and swim. The Mrs. loves the pool at a frigid 85 degrees.

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Solar.... yes, no?

I have one... I haven't installed it yet, but it was cheap and designed to heat a pool that has 5000 litres of water more than mine... A definite yes for a solar cover though.....
    Intex Rectangle 18 x 9 x 52', 4544 gallon (18000 litres), 0.75 hp pool pump, 100 sqft Zodiac Titan Cartridge Filter - 40mm, Stenner Peristaltic Pump chlorine injection system, Intex Over The Wall Skimmer, Intex Fittings with 40mm plumbing Lil Patch Of Heaven. Build/Construction http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...lice-of-heaven

3. Back To Top    #3

There are a number of posts on this subject so you may want to try the search function to find out more information, but to sum it up:

Commercial poly panels beat any home built black hose contraption in every way, usually even on total price. There is simply no comparison, I am as much of a DIY'er as the next guy, but this is one place where buying commercial makes sense even if you install them yourself.

When it comes to solar heat, size is everything, depending on climate, goals, etc. you will likely need a set of panels sized between 50-100% of the surface area of your pool.

Solar heat can provide a good source of heat for a pool, as long as your expectations are appropriate, in other words don't expect a toasty warm pool after a week of cloudy weather.

Ike

p.s. If you add your location information to your profile we could give better advice
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

4. Back To Top    #4

Yes, we're 85 degree pool people too. In DFW area with a black bottom pool with only 2 hours or so of full sun. We have 5 4x12 panels and often use them to keep pool above 80, even in august. Water coming outta the panels is hot!

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by pooldv View Post
    Water coming outta the panels is hot!
    Water out of the solar panels shouldn't be hot. That means the flow rate through the panels is too slow and you are losing a lot of heat. At most, you want only a 5 degree rise from input to output temperature but the lower the temperature rise through the panels, the higher the heat transfer.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by mas985 View Post
    Water out of the solar panels shouldn't be hot. That means the flow rate through the panels is too slow and you are losing a lot of heat. At most, you want only a 5 degree rise from input to output temperature but the lower the temperature rise through the panels, the higher the heat transfer.
    I don't understand this. Wouldn't hotter water from the panel equal a hotter pool????

7. Back To Top    #7

No, because the lower the temperature difference the more heat transfer in the solar panels, this is a very common misconception, heat transfer does not always work the way our common sense makes us think it should.
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter

8. Back To Top    #8

It all has to do with heat loss. The hotter the panels/water, the more heat is lost to the cooler environment. So when you feel heat in the panels or water you are actually feeling the heat that can be lost to the environment. Maximum efficiency in the panels is achieved when the heat differential between the input and output of the panels is a minimum.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

9. Back To Top    #9

I probably exaggerated a little. It's not like the hot water tap. But, definitely noticeably warmer than the pool water. We can pick up 3-5 degrees on a sunny day. 20k gal pool. No cover, too many trees and leaves.

10. Back To Top    #10

We're in Southern California. 3 miles from the beach. Right now our average is 82 degrees with solar. We have 8 4x12 panels. Running the filter/solar from 10am-4:30pm. Actually hope it gets it a little warmer. This week is supposed to be hot here so we'll have a better idea what to expect over the summer.

11. Back To Top    #11

I would suggest getting a solar controller even if it is just the basic Goldline GL-235, depend on your local conditions (cloud cover / wind, etc.) they can significantly boost efficiency of solar heat, here on the gulf coast with summer afternoon thermal thunderstorms they are almost a must have as the ice cold rain on a running set of panels can really suck the heat out of a pool.

12. Back To Top    #12

X2 on the GL235 - best money I've spent on my pool so far this season. It's nice knowing that even when I'm at work my pools solar heat gain is now being managed automatically - sun comes out and be differential (panel temps vs pool temp) hits the trigger point, and blammo - the valves open and it turns my pump on. Unexpected cool snap or storm, solar turns off automatically. Love it.

I'd also x2 a proper panel vs the cheap plastic tube option. I've done both , and my (still relatively inexpensive) Fafco 4x20 panel beats it in very way shape and form. Best money I spent on my pool LAST year.
    Mark
    -- Courtice, Ontario, Canada. "Cabo San Backyardo"
    12x16 3/4 inground - Hayward 3400VSP, Sand Filter, Rooftop 4x20 solar w/ Hayward GL235 automation.
    Previously installed at a neighbors, before, during & after photos HERE!