So glad I didn't give up!!! TFP, all the way!

Re: Should I just give up? Can

when you do your pH test. do it twice. if you get a different result, then do a third one for two out of three. That pH test is SENSITIVE. one drop too much or if you dont hold the bottle perfectly upside down while dropping and cause a mis-shaped / mis-sized drop, it will throw that test wayyyy off.

still every once in a while, Ill goof that test and get a radical result (usually on the low side) from what I expected.

then ill retest and it will be where i expected it. then ill test once again to verify.

take your time, and do it twice to make sure you didnt goof it.

Actually the number of drops for the pH test does not matter. It will change the intensity of the color but not the hue.
Some people prefer 4 drops, some prefer 6 ... use whatever helps you match up the color.

The same is true for the green and the blue drops for the TA and CH tests.

Bring your pH up to 7.2 with some Borax and SLAM the daylights out of the pool. You have 3 CC that need to be taken care of by SLAM'ing the pool.

Also use pool math to determine how much CYA to add to the water so you're chlorine isn't being burnt off by the sun. You can check it in a week. If you're going with 30ppm CYA then SLAM to that level. BRUSH! BRUSH! BRUSH! your pool!!! :goodjob:

Can you please update your signature with your pool specs so we can see what you're working with at a glance. Thanks.

Under the TFP logo at the top right of the screen in settings, under signature. :goodjob:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

Bring your pH up to 7.2 with some Borax and SLAM the daylights out of the pool. You have 3 CC that need to be taken care of by SLAM'ing the pool.

Also use pool math to determine how much CYA to add to the water so you're chlorine isn't being burnt off by the sun. You can check it in a week. If you're going with 30ppm CYA then SLAM to that level. BRUSH! BRUSH! BRUSH! your pool!!! :goodjob:

To expand on what Casey said - inch toward your target CYA ... don't do it all at once (half steps and test after a week - it takes that long to show up, distribute using the sock in front of skimmer method), overshooting means replacing water.

Wendy did you take pics of the pool before you started? I sure hope so. It will so SO much fun to see what you started at once you get it all sparkly!

Are you keeping your pump running? If not, you need to. It does not need to rest. The more you run it the faster your SLAM will go.

You are going to LOVE how cheap your pool is once you get it clear! When I used the pool store I spent more in one month than I did in a WHOLE year using the TFP method!

HUGS and good luck!

I do have pictures of the before, and it improves each day. We bought this house in November and the pool came with it, green slime and all! The pump runs 24/7! The water is blue but cloudy. I can't wait for clear water!

Tonight's test results: PH 7.5, FC 15, CC 3, TC 18, CYA 45, TA 220, CH 270
Per math school instructions I added nothing, but let out 3" of water and it is refilling now .... on my way!

Last edited:

Do not worry about doing any test except for FC and maybe once a day CC levels. That is all the matters right now.

You are getting there! Have fun this weekend-testing FC and adding bleach, brushing, sipping a beer, adding more bleach, more brushing, sipping more beer! LOL

Keep SLAM'ing the pool and running your filter... BRUSH! BRUSH! BRUSH! You'll see the bottom of your pool here real soon!

Should I just give up? Can

I had the levels pretty good with the new kit and lots of Clorox. The water was still real cloudy, my husband poured in some clearifier, and now I have what looks like little with things floating in the water. They floated all night so the pump is not able to catch them. I turned off the pump in hope they would settle to the bottom and I can vacuum them up. The pool store had us 'shock' the pool a couple of weeks ago and I wonder if it's left over residue from that? Any ideas?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.