Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 23

Thread: Pool out of lever or a hole in the cover ?

  1. Back To Top    #1

    Pool out of lever or a hole in the cover ?

    My winter cover is still on. Ive been losing water over the winter.
    I noticed that my pool cover has a lot more water on one side of the cover than the other side. Basically one side of the cover has very little if any water on it. The other side has about 6" of water on top. Is this a sign of a hole in the cover or the pool being out of level ?

    Thanks Joe

    15ft Round
    Aqua Leader Escape Pool
    Thanks, Joe

    New Jersey
    - 15ft round Above Ground pool with vinyl liner (10 yrs old)
    - 5700 gallons, Sand Filter, 1.5hp pump

  2. Back To Top    #2
    Casey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    SW PA
    Posts
    10,157

    Re: Pool out of lever or a hole in the cover ?

    How about a pic Joe? Pics are worth a 1000 words.
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

    24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

  3. Back To Top    #3

    Re: Pool out of lever or a hole in the cover ?

    Quote Originally Posted by Casey View Post
    How about a pic Joe? Pics are worth a 1000 words.
    I can do that , but not until later. I'm at work.
    Thanks, Joe

    New Jersey
    - 15ft round Above Ground pool with vinyl liner (10 yrs old)
    - 5700 gallons, Sand Filter, 1.5hp pump

  4. Back To Top    #4

    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Taylorsville, KY
    Posts
    27

    Re: Pool out of lever or a hole in the cover ?

    A pic would definitely be helpful. It could just be the cover being on uneven, or loose on one end. My appeared the same way somewhat, it was a combination of wind and the weight of the water that kind of pulled it down on one side. Go around the outside of the cover and see if the same amount of material hanging off the side all the way around.
    24' Round AGP, 13,500 Gallons. 19" Ecco Sand Filter, 1.5 HP ecco pump.

  5. Back To Top    #5

    Re: Pool out of lever or a hole in the cover ?

    Quote Originally Posted by LookBehindYou View Post
    A pic would definitely be helpful. It could just be the cover being on uneven, or loose on one end. My appeared the same way somewhat, it was a combination of wind and the weight of the water that kind of pulled it down on one side. Go around the outside of the cover and see if the same amount of material hanging off the side all the way around.
    I can definitely say that the cover is not even around the outside.
    Thanks, Joe

    New Jersey
    - 15ft round Above Ground pool with vinyl liner (10 yrs old)
    - 5700 gallons, Sand Filter, 1.5hp pump

  6. Back To Top    #6
    Casey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    SW PA
    Posts
    10,157

    Re: Pool out of lever or a hole in the cover ?

    Quote Originally Posted by TechJPC View Post
    I can do that , but not until later. I'm at work.
    Good! We'll be here waiting.

    Have you ever noticed this before Joe?
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

    24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

  7. Back To Top    #7

    Re: Pool out of lever or a hole in the cover ?

    Quote Originally Posted by Casey View Post
    Good! We'll be here waiting.

    Have you ever noticed this before Joe?
    No I have not, but this past winter I bought a slightly larger cover and did not use the pool pillow.
    Thanks, Joe

    New Jersey
    - 15ft round Above Ground pool with vinyl liner (10 yrs old)
    - 5700 gallons, Sand Filter, 1.5hp pump

  8. Back To Top    #8

    Re: Pool out of lever or a hole in the cover ?

    Decided that after 12 years A new liner is in the cards. I was going to try and do it myself but decided against it (just not in the mood)
    Went to a local pool store on recommendation from neighbor.

    This is what I decided on ... http://www.poolsupplies.com/product/...ad-52-20-gauge

    The store wants to charge me $320 for the 20 gauge. I asked him about the 25g and he said it did not come in 25g.

    All in all it's $320 for the 20g liner, $280 for install and $100 for wall foam for a total of $700. If I get the liner myself the install would be $380. I also asked him about a flood pad and foam cove. He said that he doesn't recommend the floor pad because of termites , etc eating it (sounded fishy to me). He also doesn't recommend the foam cove. He uses sand for floor and cove.

    So my question is, do I get the 25 gauge on my own and have him install it or just get . I'm guessing that he won't guarantee the liner since I did no buy it from him (I have to call him today)

    I read somewhere that 25g in NJ is not recommended because of the cold winters.
    Thanks, Joe

    New Jersey
    - 15ft round Above Ground pool with vinyl liner (10 yrs old)
    - 5700 gallons, Sand Filter, 1.5hp pump

  9. Back To Top    #9

    TFP Guide

    laceygirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Canberra Australia
    Posts
    1,240

    Re: Pool out of lever or a hole in the cover ?

    I would opt out of the foam wall, it makes the liner easier to puncture.... Think of a piece of paper on a hard wood table, try and poke a pen through the paper, it doesn't go through, now take that same piece of paper, and put a piece of thin foam between the table and the paper... Now try to poke the pen through it... It will penetrate it much easier.... Just my 2cents....
    Intex Rectangle 18 x 9 x 52', 4544 gallon (18000 litres), 0.75 hp pool pump, 100 sqft Zodiac Titan Cartridge Filter - 40mm, Stenner Peristaltic Pump chlorine injection system, Intex Over The Wall Skimmer, Intex Fittings with 40mm plumbing Lil Patch Of Heaven. Build/Construction http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...lice-of-heaven

  10. Back To Top    #10

    Re: Pool out of lever or a hole in the cover ?

    Quote Originally Posted by laceygirl View Post
    I would opt out of the foam wall, it makes the liner easier to puncture.... Think of a piece of paper on a hard wood table, try and poke a pen through the paper, it doesn't go through, now take that same piece of paper, and put a piece of thin foam between the table and the paper... Now try to poke the pen through it... It will penetrate it much easier.... Just my 2cents....
    That makes sense. What about the argument of it protecting the liner from the walls themselves (metal walls and all) ?
    Thanks, Joe

    New Jersey
    - 15ft round Above Ground pool with vinyl liner (10 yrs old)
    - 5700 gallons, Sand Filter, 1.5hp pump

  11. Back To Top    #11

    TFP Guide

    laceygirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Canberra Australia
    Posts
    1,240

    Re: Pool out of lever or a hole in the cover ?

    Most above ground pools put liners directly against metal walled pools... You can feel safe in that knowledge...
    Intex Rectangle 18 x 9 x 52', 4544 gallon (18000 litres), 0.75 hp pool pump, 100 sqft Zodiac Titan Cartridge Filter - 40mm, Stenner Peristaltic Pump chlorine injection system, Intex Over The Wall Skimmer, Intex Fittings with 40mm plumbing Lil Patch Of Heaven. Build/Construction http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...lice-of-heaven

  12. Back To Top    #12

    Re: Pool out of lever or a hole in the cover ?

    Quote Originally Posted by laceygirl View Post
    Most above ground pools put liners directly against metal walled pools... You can feel safe in that knowledge...
    I understand that. I guess I should have said "That makes sense. What about the argument of it protecting the liner from the walls themselves (metal walls and all) on a 12 year old pool?"
    Thanks, Joe

    New Jersey
    - 15ft round Above Ground pool with vinyl liner (10 yrs old)
    - 5700 gallons, Sand Filter, 1.5hp pump

  13. Back To Top    #13

    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Orlando, FL
    Posts
    678

    Re: Pool out of lever or a hole in the cover ?

    There should not be anything on the wall that would puncture the liner except at the point where the wall is connected with bolts. At that connection point, instructions indicate one should cover the bolts with two strips of duct tape. I can hardly feel the bolts through the liner. If I were you, I would forgo the wall foam and purchase a 25 mil liner. There is a noticeable difference in the weight of a 20 v. 25 mil liner and they are available online. If you live in a moderately large town, you can call other above ground pool/spa stores and see if they will give you the name of their installer(s). I have had very good luck going this route.
    Sharkline Reprieve 15x52 (3/14). Still using Intex 2650 Sand Filter with Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 3/4 HP pump (6/15). Solar Cover cut into strips for easy removal, (2) 2*10 Space Saver solar panels. Swim Jet HD Robot (by Aquabot) (3/15). Chlorine Liquidator (4 gal). 4 person hot tub. Hard pipe is the way to go for improved flow! Retired Lil Shark (3/15). Starite Max E Therm 333k BTU Propane Heater w/ 24 gal tank (7/15).

  14. Back To Top    #14
    Casey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    SW PA
    Posts
    10,157

    Re: Pool out of lever or a hole in the cover ?

    Location and mil/gauge on liner does not matter! Always go with the higher quality. Foam, cove and bottom is all personal choice/preference. It's certainly not needed. I chose the bottom and cove because I have fill dirt and glass in my yard and the cove is super simple!

    Watch YouTube videos and DIY! Save the money, it's not hard! Get some friends n beer if you want!
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

    24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

  15. Back To Top    #15

    Re: Pool out of lever or a hole in the cover ?

    Quote Originally Posted by Casey View Post
    Location and mil/gauge on liner does not matter! Always go with the higher quality. Foam, cove and bottom is all personal choice/preference. It's certainly not needed. I chose the bottom and cove because I have fill dirt and glass in my yard and the cove is super simple!

    Watch YouTube videos and DIY! Save the money, it's not hard! Get some friends n beer if you want!
    That being said, is this a "quality" liner ? http://www.poolsupplies.com/product/...ad-52-20-gauge
    Thanks, Joe

    New Jersey
    - 15ft round Above Ground pool with vinyl liner (10 yrs old)
    - 5700 gallons, Sand Filter, 1.5hp pump

  16. Back To Top    #16

    Re: Pool out of lever or a hole in the cover ?

    Quote Originally Posted by f3justusc View Post
    There should not be anything on the wall that would puncture the liner except at the point where the wall is connected with bolts. At that connection point, instructions indicate one should cover the bolts with two strips of duct tape. I can hardly feel the bolts through the liner. If I were you, I would forgo the wall foam and purchase a 25 mil liner. There is a noticeable difference in the weight of a 20 v. 25 mil liner and they are available online. If you live in a moderately large town, you can call other above ground pool/spa stores and see if they will give you the name of their installer(s). I have had very good luck going this route.
    Just spoke to installer... Said there's a chance that the new liner could rip during the install if there are any sharp pieces on wall. Also said there's a slight chance that it could also puncture the liner from inside the pool after it is filled if I use the foam wall. He said we can see what it looks like at the time of install. So I guess that's fair. I called another installer and he didn't mention anything about the foam.
    Thanks, Joe

    New Jersey
    - 15ft round Above Ground pool with vinyl liner (10 yrs old)
    - 5700 gallons, Sand Filter, 1.5hp pump

  17. Back To Top    #17
    Casey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    SW PA
    Posts
    10,157

    Re: Pool out of lever or a hole in the cover ?

    Do you have rough spots on the inside of your pool wall? If so, you can sand the walls down lightly to *knock off* anything that could puncture the liner or tear it. Wall foam is not needed. I've played with it before and never had a problem with holes in the wall and I had a diving dog using my pool every time we did and she swam close to the walls without puncturing through the liner/foam. If you don't know what the walls look like because you still have a liner in place, you are worrying needlessly over something that isn't worth worrying about.

    As far as the liner that is highlighted in the link you provided, you will be better off choosing the 25mil/gauge instead of the 20 mil/gauge. It is the better liner and it does NOT matter if you live in California, Colorado, Iowa, Jersey or Pennsylvania. It is the better choice. But in the end, it's your choice.
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

    24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

  18. Back To Top    #18

    Re: Pool out of lever or a hole in the cover ?

    Thanks for all of your input. I decided on the 25g liner with no foam walls.
    Thanks, Joe

    New Jersey
    - 15ft round Above Ground pool with vinyl liner (10 yrs old)
    - 5700 gallons, Sand Filter, 1.5hp pump

  19. Back To Top    #19
    Casey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    SW PA
    Posts
    10,157

    Re: Pool out of lever or a hole in the cover ?

    You'll be fine with that Joe.
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

    24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

  20. Back To Top    #20

    TSiGirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Crystal Lake Illinois
    Posts
    469

    Re: Pool out of lever or a hole in the cover ?

    Quote Originally Posted by TechJPC View Post
    Decided that after 12 years A new liner is in the cards. I was going to try and do it myself but decided against it (just not in the mood)
    Went to a local pool store on recommendation from neighbor.

    This is what I decided on ... http://www.poolsupplies.com/product/...ad-52-20-gauge

    The store wants to charge me $320 for the 20 gauge. I asked him about the 25g and he said it did not come in 25g.

    All in all it's $320 for the 20g liner, $280 for install and $100 for wall foam for a total of $700. If I get the liner myself the install would be $380. I also asked him about a flood pad and foam cove. He said that he doesn't recommend the floor pad because of termites , etc eating it (sounded fishy to me). He also doesn't recommend the foam cove. He uses sand for floor and cove.

    So my question is, do I get the 25 gauge on my own and have him install it or just get . I'm guessing that he won't guarantee the liner since I did no buy it from him (I have to call him today)

    I read somewhere that 25g in NJ is not recommended because of the cold winters.
    I just bought a unibead liner from The Pool Factory in January.. 25g for $229 and no shipping..overlaps weren't even more than $150 or so...I have a 15round also.
    Cornelius 15 Round , Semi Inground, TF-100 Test Kit, Speedstir
    Hayward 2 Speed Pump Swimpro 150 Cartridge Filter
    Pool Rover S2-50, Maytronics Solara Heating System

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •