Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Help me label my lines

1. Back To Top    #1

Help me label my lines

1- Skimmer 1
    2- Skimmer 2
    3- Main drain?
    4- ???? (It's on the suction side of the pump)
    5- Return

So I'm only confused about 3 and 4. Could they both be main drains? I can't see the bottom of my pool to see if I even have two.
    23,000 gal, in-ground, plaster with 24" sand filter, 1.5" piping.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Help me label my lines

I am not sure how we are going to be able to help ... with no access for experimentation.

It is pretty odd to have 4 suction lines and only 1 return line though. I can not tell what is going on with line 4 in that picture. I almost wonder if line 4 has been re-purposed from a return line to a suction line?

Could be that 3 is the floor and 4 is a cleaner line.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

All I can do is guess, but I suspect that 4 is for a suction side cleaner.

There should should only be one pipe coming from dual main drains. They always join up into a single pipe very close to the drains.

The only way to be sure what is what is to turn things on and off and see what happens. That will be easier to do when the water is cleared up and you can get in the pool.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks for the responses.

What exactly is a suction side cleaner? Is this a dedicated line for a vacuum or something?

The reason I'm asking about the lines is that I attempted to vacuum today for the first time so I had to experiment with the valves to get enough suction to keep the vacuum hose on the skimmer port. It would only stay put with one skimmer (#1) and the main drain (#3) closed, but the vacuum still wasn't moving much on the bottom. I'm wondering if closing #4 will help. Also, when I closed #1 and #3, the pump pressure eventually rose about 5 psi. I didn't know if this was due to the vacuum doing its job or the pump working extra hard with only one line open.

5. Back To Top    #5

A suction side cleaner is a dedicated line for a cleaner that goes around vacuuming on it's own, with a hose connecting it to a port on the side of the pool.

The filter pressure rise is unexpected. Normally when you shut off suction lines the filter pressure falls a little.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

I guess the pressure rise was due to the vacuum doing its job and the sand filter getting dirty. I backwashed and everything returned back to normal.

Now my task is to find out what #4 does and what the best way to run the vacuum is.

7. Back To Top    #7

I just emailed the previous owner and he confirmed that #4 is a suction side cleaner and I have already found the port. The pool still isn't clear so I had to feel around for it but sure enough, it's there. Thanks again for the help guys.

8. Back To Top    #8

I have a similar mixing valve on my suction line, what you have labelled 1 and 2. On mine, one side is the skimmers (both of them) and the other side are the main drains. Are you sure each side is just 1 skimmer?
    24'x40' 25k gal Imperial Mountain Pond IGP, full 28 mil VynAll Ocean Breakers liner. All Hayward system: 140k BTU HeatPro heat pump, 3/4HP single speed TriStar 2" Pump, DE6020 filter, AquaPlus Automation/Salt Chlorination, remote controls, ColorLogic 4.0 lighting. Polaris 280 w/PB4-60 BP. TF100 & K1766 test kits. Rinox Palazzo pavers and Spherik coping. Pool installed 9/2013, project completed 6/16/14.

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by steveg_nh View Post
    I have a similar mixing valve on my suction line, what you have labelled 1 and 2. On mine, one side is the skimmers (both of them) and the other side are the main drains. Are you sure each side is just 1 skimmer?
    Yes. 1 and 2 are separate skimmers.