Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pool deck paint help

1. Back To Top    #1

Pool deck paint help

Our pool deck which is stark white and is in great condition (no cracks) but we just want to add some color and make sure it remains non-slip. I believe it is a Kool Deck. Any suggestions on a product that we can roll on or spray?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pool deck paint help

Welcome to TFP!

If in fact your deck is a Kool Deck, check with a few of the local installers and see if they would recommend an epoxy based paint.
    15'x48" 4500 gallon Intex pool, buried 1.5 ft. Pac-Fab Dynamo 3/4 hp pump. Hayward S180T sand filter, bought used. Taylor K-2006 test kit. Rocket mass heater based wood fired pool heater.

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie_R View Post
    Welcome to TFP!

If in fact your deck is a Kool Deck, check with a few of the local installers and see if they would recommend an epoxy based paint.
    Am I to infer then that I may be ale to use just epoxy paint over a Kool Deck? I don't have to use Kool Deck itself which is very expensive?

Then again mine is showing wear which probably means mine is down to below the top layer. Is Kool Deck the material the deck is made of like a plaster or concrete or is it the top layer?
    10000 Gal, IG Pebbletec, pop up cleaners,Hayward EcoStar VS, 425 sq ft Hayward Cartridge, waterfall feature

4. Back To Top    #4

The reason I referred the O.P. to a local installer is that I don't know much about Kool Deck. I know normal concrete, but not what they do for Kool Deck.
    15'x48" 4500 gallon Intex pool, buried 1.5 ft. Pac-Fab Dynamo 3/4 hp pump. Hayward S180T sand filter, bought used. Taylor K-2006 test kit. Rocket mass heater based wood fired pool heater.

5. Back To Top    #5

A few links about Kool Deck.

http://www.rosieonthehouse.com/faq_detail.aspx?id=570

http://pooltilecleaningtucson.com/kool-deck-repair/

Invented in Tucson where my pool is located. Seems like it is hard to work with and hard to bond to the original surface when doing a repair. And yet it yields better cooling than acrylic. Got to do some more reading
    10000 Gal, IG Pebbletec, pop up cleaners,Hayward EcoStar VS, 425 sq ft Hayward Cartridge, waterfall feature

6. Back To Top    #6

I'm also researching this subject because like the OP we have Kool Deck that is stark white, very very bright in the sun & although it looks nice it's overwhelming. We would love to be able to tone it down with a sand color or even a dark brown would be great.

Please post back here with what you find out!
    -Tom

17,000 gal plaster with spa. Pentair Clean & Clear cartridge filters. Jandy systems with Aqualink RS and Polaris 360.

Pool Store free since May 2011!