Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What would you do differently, if you could rebuild your pool?

1. Back To Top    #1

What would you do differently, if you could rebuild your pool?

Hello to all,

We are getting ready to qualify vendors, bids & designs, then select and build [I will post the whole pool process here, including the summer kitchen of all before and afters].

After reading many more of your posts, what I would like to acheive w the help of everyone, is to compile a list of all the suggested changes on years of experience w your pools. As we all know, sometimes you just have to live through it or figure it out over time. W all the experience here, I am hoping to accomplish a list of best practices that I can incorporate into our design and build. Trouble Free Pool does not mean maintenance free, but I would like to optimize your experiences, good or bad, to help make the best pool possible, then pass my experiences back on for future pool owners.

Here is what I know today:

14K gallons IG Pool w spa & sunning shelf, approx 16' x 20 w additional 7.5' tanning shelf [18-12"], depth 4' x 5.6' x 3.6'

Rectangular to match geometrics of house - pool runs S-N w N side next to summer kitchen to be

spa w custom seating for both tall people and other so shoulders neck will be in water w out hunching over, extra jets
    an additional sitting shelf 13' x 2' by 18" not looking into the sun

4 sq columns w two scuppers & two for potted plants on wall w equipment behind for optimal pressure & friction reduction

additional electrical outlets and 4-6 irrigation taps w lines for potted plants

extensive drainage system / volleyball sleeves

No trees in yard or neighbors, only palm trees...our backyard has only grass

summer kitchen is 20' x 34' w gas stove, gas/wood burning fireplace, flatscreen & stereo...S-Kitchen runs E-W w west side enclosed from sun w fireplace & wall - S side open to pool, gas stove on N side since 11 mo's per yr wind is from S and blows smoke out and away

That is it.. w these potential design dimensions, I am hoping to get your advice & experience on cleaning and filtering systems, and anything else you think we need to change, eliminate or enhance.

Thank you very much,
    tstex

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: What would you do differently, if you could rebuild your pool?

My normal advice: put a skimmer at the absolute downwind end of the pool, even if it means a long pipe run. Otherwise surface trash gets blown right past it, gets waterlogged, and sinks so you get to vacuum it up.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

thanks, that makes a lot of sense...

4. Back To Top    #4

Make sure and go big enough on all plumbing, and home run everything, makes life a lot easier when there is a leak later on, lets you isolate it and keep running until the off season. There are lots of other things, which may not apply to your situation, for example I wish my shallow end was just a few inches deeper, I have long arms and hate scraping my knuckles when I swim laps, another 3 inches would make all the difference.
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

5. Back To Top    #5

Deep enough to dive in... one of my more serious regrets is that mine is just a bit short on depth and everyone loves to dive into a pool
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

6. Back To Top    #6

I would have gone with 2 or more lights..1 just isnt enough for my pool
    18k: IG: Black Granite Liner: Aspen: 16x33.5: SWG: Polaris 280

My pool build new-pool-build-in-nh-t60957.html

7. Back To Top    #7

make sure the design has good circulation with no "dead" spots
    more than one skimmer amd multiple outlets
    you don't mention where you are located but plan for winter heating or freeze control, or summer cooling of water
    SWG inground peanut shaped eco-bright concrete pool
    50,000 litres 13,000 gallons
    Lincoln Salt Chlorinator, 25 gram cell Sand Filter with glass media
    Taylor K2006-C test kit, Taylor K-1766 salt test, Dolphin M500 pool cleaner
    are you taking care of your pool or is the poolshop taking care of you

8. Back To Top    #8

TFP Guide

On our deck area, we have about 5' of free space next to the pool in the areas where there are chaise lounges and tables. This proved to be great for people movement while seating areas were occupied. Those areas are 13' and 15' wide. Though our pool is the destination type, not up by the house where we could utilize existing decking.

Two LED lights for an 18x38 rectangle. One would be too dark.
    18'x38' Rectangle (3'-8 1/2' deep w/ diving board) - 27K gal. w/ gray plaster
    Hayward equipment (cartridge filter, 2-speed pump, SWCG, automation) View Our Build
    Coverstar automatic pool cover | StoneMakers concrete retaining wall and decking
    Spring 2013 Build | Dolphin Active 20 robot cleaner | Support TFP!

9. Back To Top    #9

Thank you for the suggestions...we will examine all of the lighting and spacing re chairs and tables.

We are located close to Houston, so winter cold is not an issue, but water cooling surely is...I will ask the PB to ensure there is plenty of movement of water. I can assure you the Spa will be spanking with movement and pressure.

On depth, our pool is going to be action oriented w V-ball and similar. 5'.6" in the middle is good enough to dive at an angle.

Finally, we are going with a pump for each need: main pool, scuppers, jacuzzi, etc. I want to spec homeruns for each, but since we are going to be real close from pumps to pool/spa, I believe 2" PVC should be good, but will ask the PB to give an opinion. Real close should mean distances of 5', 10' & 5/7 ft for pool, spa and scupppers, respectively.

Lastly, is it recommended to get the PB to both flush and pressure test all of the PVC runs before they are covered-up w dirt? I am not too inclined on have to dig anything up at a later date to fix a leak...

Thanks again,
    tstex

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by tstex View Post
    On depth, our pool is going to be action oriented w V-ball and similar. 5'.6" in the middle is good enough to dive at an angle.
    Not to burst your bubble, but no, 5'6" is NOT deep enough for safe diving. I sooooo wish it were.
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

11. Back To Top    #11

TFP Guide

7-8 foot for diving....
    Intex Rectangle 18 x 9 x 52', 4544 gallon (18000 litres), 0.75 hp pool pump, 100 sqft Zodiac Titan Cartridge Filter - 40mm, Stenner Peristaltic Pump chlorine injection system, Intex Over The Wall Skimmer, Intex Fittings with 40mm plumbing Lil Patch Of Heaven. Build/Construction http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...lice-of-heaven

12. Back To Top    #12

This is a great thread. We are thinking of building again and may do a lot differently, from shape to materials. I would keep the SWG and the spa. On the fence about in-floor cleaning and may even go vinyl/concrete over gunite, but not sure. We are in the northeast and kept our old pool open April to October, but it is still costly up here for half the year. Great idea for a thread.

Building 20x40 free-form pool; pebble sheen, caretaker in floor, swg, intelliflo pump, heater. Sundance 800 spa happily in use. More to come!

13. Back To Top    #13

I would tend to say 8 ft minimum for diving from the side or a rock, 9 ft is even questionable with a diving board, but the more common problem with residential pools is intercepting the slope at around the 5-6 ft depth even with shallow face first diving due to limited length.
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

14. Back To Top    #14

I got it. I will put the proverbial sign up, "No Diving Allowed".

I will ask the selected PB to be "can you toss in this sign to seal the deal after the bids are in"...

15. Back To Top    #15

5' 6" is plenty for diving for you or your family, 3.5' is plenty. But you would NOT want to be encouraging others to do that if they don't know what they're doing.

16. Back To Top    #16

Quote Originally Posted by andyoi630 View Post
    5' 6" is plenty for diving for you or your family, 3.5' is plenty. But you would NOT want to be encouraging others to do that if they don't know what they're doing.
    I do trauma care. I beg to differ with your opinion- too many broken necks say otherwise

17. Back To Top    #17

In the Industry

Diving depth is an interminable discussion that we have had before and can evolve into acrimonious (who says I don't know any big words??) postings.

Each of us has an idea about safety around our pools and each of us will continue to practice what we think is best.

I would rather see us not get involved more "deeply" in diving depth.....it's been quite unproductive in the past.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

18. Back To Top    #18

I'm finishing up my pool and I can say I underestimated how big the equipment pad was going to be. With a heater, filter, and 2 pumps, and all of the valves, mine is nearly 10x4. It was impracticle in my build, but I wish it had been more hidden.

I would have made sure all electrical conduits were at least 1", the electricians had an awful time pulling the light cords through 3/4".

I think the fire features really look neat, so if you have gas lines nearby you might want to consider one.

19. Back To Top    #19

S-Kitchen: Go with a full-size sink, hot-water (electric is good), garbage disposer and a Fridge / ice-bin.
    Decking: Use Pavers (no cracking) and install plenty of umbrella sleeves (various areas).
    Dave My Pool Build, ODK Build
    22X42 Gunite Freeform 23K Gal, 10X12 Spa
    Diamond-Brite midnight blue, 1800sq. ft Kool Deck
    Pentair Easy-Touch 8, 2-2hp Pentair, 500lb Sand Filter, 400K btu Pentair heater

20. Back To Top    #20

These are great suggestions...

Just met with a pool builder and the 500sqft decking [including a 12x12 jacuzzi] in that space with a 4' walkway betw the deck and house and an open floor area in the summer kitchen of 28 x 20, I think we are going to s-can the cool deck and go with travertine pavers. The pavers would be install with 9" of aggregate and sand combo as a base, then the 1.25" thick t-pavers in shapr/size and pattern to be. This would prevent cracking and allow for expansion. It was only 2K more for this soltution vs coo deck.

Thank you, I appreciate all of your feedback.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast