Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: I think my cell has gone out

1. Back To Top    #1

I think my cell has gone out

I think my cell has gone out. It is not producing chlorine like it should. Salt level is up and I have acid washed the cell twice. Any other things I should check before buying another cell.
    The number of people staring at you is directly proportional to the stupidity of your actions.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: I think my cell has gone out

Welcome to TFP!

The cell might be bad, but it is more likely that you either have a low CYA level or have a low level algae problem that is consuming the chlorine that the cell produces.

If you post a full set of water test results we can help you figure out what is going wrong.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks. I will get some test done and post. My CYA was low. I brought it back up and it did not help.
    The number of people staring at you is directly proportional to the stupidity of your actions.

4. Back To Top    #4

If your CYA was low, your chlorine could have dropped to the point you are now fighting some contamination in the water that is consuming all the chlorine your cell produces. The only way to know whether it's a bad cell or something else is to get a full set of test results.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

5. Back To Top    #5

One way to tell if you are fighting an algae problem is to take a chlorine measurement right after dark in the evening. Then take another one early the next morning before sunrise. If two differ by more than 1 ppm FC then you have an infestation and need to shock.
    7,500 gal, IG pool, L shape 22' x 15', 1.5 hp pump, cartridge filter, AquaPlus SWG/Controller, Pebble-Tec liner.

6. Back To Top    #6

not sure how you brought your CYA up in 4 hours, it takes about a week for CYA to dissolve, but I agree with dschlic

Whats the test number for your CYA?
    13,000 IG Plaster, 2hp whisperflo pump, 48 sq in pentair DE Filter, 1 skimmer, 2 eyeball outlets, 200 sq ft solar panels on second story, Auto Pilot SWG-36, Polaris ATV Cleaner

7. Back To Top    #7

If you have a Jandy system are you getting a "service" light? After you get your water balanced and still have problems, look at the back circuit board. Ours had two blackened diodes. New part has been shipped. We are certain this was our problem all along.
    7,000 gallon, in-ground, aggregate finish, screen-enclosed, Hayward CX-900 cartridge filter, 1 HP pump, Melbourne, Florida

8. Back To Top    #8

A quick way to tell if your cell is producing/depending on the cell type, is to crack open the union that leads away from the cell while it is running and collect some of the water to test for Chlorine, It should be a lot higher than the pool water if the cell is working well. It's pretty simple and foolproof.
    22K gallon free form pebble tec pool, non screened, surrounded by 3, 100+ year old Live Oaks (pure misery for 3 months every spring) elevated non heated spa, jandy cl340 filter, Pentair Inteliflo 3hp pump, Jandy 1400 swg, infloor cleaning system which has had all outlets removed due to uselessness of system with the organic load the pool carries and now low rp