Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: how do you test in the dark

1. Back To Top    #1
    Just outside Nashville Tennessee

how do you test in the dark

simply put, if I don't have time to test at home while there is natural daylight, I want to be able to test in the dark and I will be using a flashlight. Is a flashlight suitable enough to read color change?
    24' Above Ground Vinyl.
    Cartridge Filter ( bullet style )
    Hayward 1.5 pump
    13,500 Gallons
    Taylor 2006c

2. Back To Top    #2
    Eastern Ohio

Re: how do you test in the dark

Get a bottle of pool water and head inside. In fact, I seldom test the water outside by the pool. The majority of the tests are just fine done inside as the only one we suggest being done outside in natural daylight is the CYA test.

3. Back To Top    #3
    Sacramento, CA
    15'x30' IG - Roman-style - 14K - Pebble Fina Classico
    Filter: Jandy CL460 Pump: Jandy Stealth SHPF1.5 SWG: Jandy AquaPure 1400 Cleaner: Jandy RayVac Test Kit: TF-100 w/SpeedStir

Chlorine/CYA Chart----Extended Test Kit Directions----SLAM

4. Back To Top    #4
    SW PA

lol I use an empty water or clean soda bottle to collect pool water. I'll fill it once with pool water, dump it and fill it again and head inside.
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

5. Back To Top    #5
    SW Louisiana

The only test that really needs to be done outdoors on a bright day is the CYA test, which does not need to be done too often (a few times per season typically), so unless you are a vampire this should not be too much of an issue. (No offensive meant to vampires, or as they may prefer to be called people with light sensitivity and alternative dietary requirements). For the rest of the tests do them indoors under good lighting, for the color matching test like pH hold them up to a good white background, a white wall, white appliance door, etc.

Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~