Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 1st time BBB. Please visit and share your knowledge

1. Back To Top    #1

1st time BBB. Please visit and share your knowledge

Hello all. 1st off, thanks for your time and your valued experience.

This is my 1st year utilizing the BBB. Ive had this pool for 3 years and the previous 2 years ive used a Copper system. After reading this forum for a year, ive decided that this is the way I want to go.

I just received my Taylor 2006c and are getting somewhat familiar with it. I still have a long way to go learning.

Here are the numbers thus far.

FC Zero
    TA 60
    Ph 7.2
    Cya Zero

Im going to slam the pool tomorrow 4/5/2014. From the charts, I believe that I should initially hit it with almost 5 gallons of bleach to kick start the 30ppm shock?

I bought bleach from Wally world and it is 8.2 %. Doing the math I came up with right around 5 gallons to achieve the 30ppm initially.

Should I put the Cya in 1st? Im assuming yes.

Im looking forward to this and have been impressed with everyones willingness to share their knowledge and their patients with others in this forum.

Regards,

Scott

Nashville TN
    24' Above Ground Vinyl.
    Cartridge Filter ( bullet style )
    Hayward 1.5 pump
    13,500 Gallons
    Taylor 2006c

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: 1st time BBB. Please visit and share your knowledge

Your pH is good.

Add enough CYA to get to 30 ppm.

Your SLAM target for FC will be 12, so add enough bleach to get to 12 or slightly higher. For your pool, that's 2 gallons of 8.25% bleach.

Where were you seeing 30 for an FC target?
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

3. Back To Top    #3

Edited: I found the 12 Fc for shock as I did some more review.

What is the 30ppm that this Taylor book is suggesting? that seems incredibly high

Hello Smykowski. Thanks for your info and reply.

My 30ppm came from the blue Taylor testing and treatment guide. Table B page 54. is 30ppm super shock table for Algae Removal. At 10% available chlorine. 13500 gallons pool water. I did the math that this book showes and I converted the 10% to the 8.2 % that is actual. The math came out to around 5 gallons.

Steer me to where I should have came up with 12 FC

thanks again !

Scott
    24' Above Ground Vinyl.
    Hayward 1.5 pump
    13,500 Gallons
    Taylor 2006c

4. Back To Top    #4

If you want to follow our methods, then you can not be using the information from that Taylor book. Have you read Pool School yet? There is a chart that shows the appropriate FC level that is a function of CYA level.

If you truly have 0 CYA, then you should never raise the FC above about 5ppm. Best to add CYA up to about 30ppm and then SLAM.

You will also want to learn to use PoolMath which will do the calculations for you.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

What blizzle said.

The PoolSchool link is in the upper right corner of every page.

Read it all, but start with these articles:
    http://www.troublefreepool.com/conte...ater-chemistry
    http://www.troublefreepool.com/conte...at-is-tfpc-bbb
    http://www.troublefreepool.com/conte...tain-shockingl
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

Use "PoolMath" found at the top of these pages here on the site......it's what most all of us reference.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

7. Back To Top    #7

Hello. yes sir, I have read most all of this site and its a lot to take in when you know nothing about pool chemistry and how to treat a pool. I missed the part on the cya and FC chart.

I feel like its starting to come together. since I got the taylor kit last week, Ive been focusing on reading the book and performing tests with the kit so I can feel comfortable using it.

I plan on solely using this method and I will not use the taylor suggestions.
    24' Above Ground Vinyl.
    Hayward 1.5 pump
    13,500 Gallons
    Taylor 2006c

8. Back To Top    #8

What is your source of CYA and have you put it in yet? It takes awhile to dissolve so like Jbizzle stated you want to have at least some in there before you bring your FC up to 10-12.
    16k gal, 28'x3.5', Vinyl A/G, 1hp Pentair Dynamo 2-speed Pump, Hayward S160T Sand Filter, Intermatic HB800RCL Digital Timer, Intex 8110 SWG, TF-100 Test Kit, SpeedStir Author: Jesse's Graphical Pool Testing Log

9. Back To Top    #9

I bought some stabilizer last night and wont be able to put it in until the morning. My Cya is zero.

stupid question. can you grind the Cya to a smaller more powdery substance? And will this speed up the process of dissolving?
    24' Above Ground Vinyl.
    Hayward 1.5 pump
    13,500 Gallons
    Taylor 2006c

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by driver5 View Post
    I bought some stabilizer last night and wont be able to put it in until the morning. My Cya is zero.

stupid question. can you grind the Cya to a smaller more powdery substance? And will this speed up the process of dissolving?
    Just put it in a sock or pantyhose and hang it in front of the return. Give it a good squeeze when you walk by. It will dissolve faster than you think. Did you use poolmath to see how much to add?
    17500 gallon Doughboy AGP, Hayward DE filter, waiting for the 1.5hp DB pump to go out.
    Learn to take the advice here and be trouble free or use the pool store's advice. "You can't do both and get very far"

11. Back To Top    #11

You have already been given good advice by the previous responders, so I will welcome to TFP!

Quote Originally Posted by driver5
    After reading this forum for a year, ive decided that this is the way I want to go.
    I think you will be very pleased with your decision.
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.

12. Back To Top    #12

Welcome to TFP. Listen to these guys. You are getting the best advice possible. I know from experience. Good luck and welcome to the community.
    Gunite/Plaster pool at 13k gallons. All Jandy with CL340 series cartridge filter, 1.5 HP Jandy Stealth pump. Jandy 1400 SWCG and PDA4 controller. Dual waterfalls. Polaris 280. Pool installed August 2012. Southern Louisiana. And lets not forget my trusty TF100 test kit!

13. Back To Top    #13

I've been at it since 8am. Its already slightly clearer at 4pm.

I wait and test every hour. This last test it held at 10 ppm with a target Slam at 12ppm.

I've added roughly 1000oz thus far. (8 jugs) I have 16 left on hand still.

Currently I have 3 pounds of CYA in a sock.

pH 7.4
    TA 60
    Cya?

I will see if I can post a pic

Thanks!
    Scott

14. Back To Top    #14

Quote Originally Posted by driver5 View Post
    Hello all. 1st off, thanks for your time and your valued experience.

This is my 1st year utilizing the BBB. Ive had this pool for 3 years and the previous 2 years ive used a Copper system. After reading this forum for a year, ive decided that this is the way I want to go.

I just received my Taylor 2006c and are getting somewhat familiar with it. I still have a long way to go learning.

Here are the numbers thus far.

FC Zero
    TA 60
    Ph 7.2
    Cya Zero

Im going to slam the pool tomorrow 4/5/2014. From the charts, I believe that I should initially hit it with almost 5 gallons of bleach to kick start the 30ppm shock?

I bought bleach from Wally world and it is 8.2 %. Doing the math I came up with right around 5 gallons to achieve the 30ppm initially.

Should I put the Cya in 1st? Im assuming yes.

Im looking forward to this and have been impressed with everyones willingness to share their knowledge and their patients with others in this forum.

Regards,

Scott

Nashville TN
    New to BBB method here too
    I'm curious - why did you suggest SLAMing the pool at all to begin with?
    I just had new liner installed and have been getting levels correct
    over the past couple of weeks myself - never read anything about or had anyone suggest SLAMing the pool
    Your post didn't suggest anything from what I read to indicate it required SLAM
    Did I overlook something?
    20K gal, IG vinyl, 1 1/2 HP Hayward Super Pump , 100lb sand, installed 2000 - new liner/filter/pump March 2014
    TF-100 test kit

15. Back To Top    #15

You are correct. You only need to SLAM if there is a problem in the pool.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

16. Back To Top    #16

Quote Originally Posted by astronaut888 View Post
    Your post didn't suggest anything from what I read to indicate it required SLAM
    Did I overlook something?
    While Scott never said anything about cloudy water, 0 FC was the trigger for me. It may be a very fast SLAM, but it's insurance.

17. Back To Top    #17

Gotcha - I was afraid I needed to SLAM and didn't know it!
    20K gal, IG vinyl, 1 1/2 HP Hayward Super Pump , 100lb sand, installed 2000 - new liner/filter/pump March 2014
    TF-100 test kit

18. Back To Top    #18

Hello everyone. I'm sorry I failed to mention in my original post that my pool was green. I'm coming off of a copper system and have never had any chlorine in the pool whatsoever for the past two years. So I guess given that my pool was green and there was no chlorine whatsoever in it or any Cya for that matter, I need to slam my pool from the info that I have learned of this website.

As of 3:45

Pool is slightly green. I can see the bottom where as yesterday I couldn't.

Cya came up to 40.
    Had to adjust pH. It was 7.0.
    TA is 90.
    And the FC is holding at 12.
    12 is my Slam target.

I vacuumed the pool and brushed it yesterday. I will do it again today.

Is their anything else I should be doing? Or POP?

Also what other suggestions do y'all have for a fireman who works 24 hours on at 48 hours off? Tomorrow I will leave for the fire hall and I won't come back again until Tuesday morning

19. Back To Top    #19

1st time BBB. Please visit and share your knowledge

If you don't have anybody to check on it, you can bring the FC up higher right before you leave and then just adjust things when you get back. Make sure your filter pressure will be ok for 24 hrs. You could also run it on recirculate till you get back if you have that option.
    The green color is it a cloudy green or a clear green which could indicate metals in the water ? A picture could help.
    Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

20. Back To Top    #20

It's a clear green. If that makes sense. It was cloudy green yesterday. Their was a green film on the bottom of the pool until I brushed it and it stayed cloudy after that.

I can't find how to post a pic from my phone.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast