New User, First Pool

Apr 3, 2014
Orlando, FL
I am so glad we found this web site!! We are putting in a pool, and our Dough Boy Dealer will complete the project for 11,700. This will be a 12 x 24 AGP buried. We are in Central Florida, so we'll never have to "close" the pool. We want to have a concrete patio around it and screen it in.

My first question is, what is slurry, and where do we get it? The dealer said they will be putting concrete in the ground to help support the pool. Is that it?

Also, what is the BBB method. I saw the bleach, borax and baking soda, but is this it, and is it better than the chemicals?

We had a 16' Intex for a few years. The pump with those is so small, and it was hard to keep up with. We have found sinking the Dough Boy to be the most economical choice. We don't have 40k to put in a pool.

What kinds of questions do we need to ask? We are very new at this, and we haven't plunked down any money YET. We are going to the home show this weekend to do more research, but any pointers you all can offer will be much appreciated. My husband works 11-12 hour days, so doing this ourselves isn't a realistic option.

Thanks in advance for your help. I will be on here a lot, I believe! :)

Welcome to TFP! :wave:

A slurry is basically a thick fluid. A slurry can consist of several different materials/ingredients. If your contractor mentioned a slurry, it is most likely either a cement-based or soil/cement-based slurry.

BBB stands for Bleach, Baking Soda, and Borax. These are the most common chemicals used by many to maintain a pool. We have changed the name of our process to TFP (Trouble Free Pool) which more accurately describes the process we teach. Under BBB, many had the impression that you had to use all three chemicals or that you could use only these three chemicals. Using me as an example, I predominantly use liquid bleach and muriatic acid. I use baking soda on rare occasions as it is needed and I have not had the need to use Borax. TFP removes this confusion and places emphasis on taking control of managing your pool water, understanding the impact of any chemical that is added to the water, and adding only what is needed to maintain crystal clear water.

As far as questions to ask, you will need a right-sized filter and pump based on the water volume of the pool. A pump/filter that is too small will not keep up (as you have previously experienced), but bigger isn't necessarily better either. I'm sure others will chime in with other questions for you to ask, especially those who have installed a similar pool.

Welcome to TFP !
While your waiting for your pool to be installed do some reading in pool school. It may seem overwhelming at first and probably is but after a couple of read thru's it will start to make sense.
With that new pool your going to need a good test kit to maintain your water chemistry. Small investment for the right tool for the job.
Here are some good places to start reading.
http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/123-abc-of-pool-water-chemistry
http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/142-how-to-chlorinate-your-pool
http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/124-pool-test-kits-comparison
If you have any questions don't hesitate to ask. ?

Pool School!

It's the best place to start while looking for a pool that will fit your needs!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.