Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Just getting started

1. Back To Top    #1

Just getting started

Hi,
    I became a pool owner recently. With rising temperatures i am worried i wont b able to enjoy swimming for long.
    Please suggest to cool my pool.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Just getting started

Welcome to TFP! Curious...where are you located? After this harsh winter in much of North America, most everyone is more concerned about warming their pool water.

To answer your question though, aeration is the best bet to cool your water. This can be done by the use of fountains or a waterfall such as from a spillover spa. Do not bother using ice. You will need prodigious amounts of it (hundreds to thousands of pounds depending on pool water volume) and the effects will be temporary.
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.

3. Back To Top    #3

Welcome to TFP !
    + 1 to what Bo said. What is the temp of your pool ?
    If you could add all your pool and equipment info to your sig that would be great. It'll help us better help you. 😎
    Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

4. Back To Top    #4

My pool is a block of ice right now, so I wish I could swap places!
    11,700 gallon 21' round 54" deep all-resin AGP - June 2012
    Waterway 1HP 2-speed pump / 100 sq ft cartridge filter
    Hayward 150,000btu Natural Gas heater
    I use and recommend the TF-100 for testing

5. Back To Top    #5

Bo knows...
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

6. Back To Top    #6

You could make (or buy) some sort of fountain that connects to a return and sprays into the pool. The evaporation will cool the water, but with a side effect of raising the pH. That is the cheapest and easiest way. Or you could put in solar heating panels and run them at night to cool the water. Or you could put in something like a glacier pool cooler.
    14k gal IG vinyl, Jandy Flopro 1 hp up-rated, 2 spd pump, Hayward 325 sq ft cartridge filter, Circupool Si-40 SWCG

7. Back To Top    #7

Thanks everyone ! Does anyone know hw to make a fountain in pool ? are there any DIY kits ? what is a glacier pool cooler ?

8. Back To Top    #8

The simplest fountain is to take a length of PVC pipe and drill a number of small holes in it (sort of like a shower head) and install it in place of one of your eyeball return fittings. There are a number of examples that have been posted here over the years, the best seem to be using a T layout of PVC pipe and and 45 degree angle fitting to place the T with the drilled holes at the water line.

See http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...untain-project

or

http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...sy-pool-cooler

for a couple of examples

The Glacier pool cooler is like a swamp cooler for pool water, therefore it tends to work best in hot dry climates, there are also heat pump systems which will heat or cool pool water and work like an air conditioner
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

9. Back To Top    #9

Can i get this job professionally done ?

10. Back To Top    #10

If you check on ebay for "pvc pool fountains" you can find some semi professional looking options starting at around $20 that screw into the eyeball fitting sockets. Connecting it should be no harder than connecting a garden hose, assuming your pool has standard style screw in eyeball fittings.

Ike
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

11. Back To Top    #11
    14k gal IG vinyl, Jandy Flopro 1 hp up-rated, 2 spd pump, Hayward 325 sq ft cartridge filter, Circupool Si-40 SWCG

12. Back To Top    #12

Thanks a lot !! m goin to explore this option

13. Back To Top    #13

14. Back To Top    #14

My pool cooler experiment:
    http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...07-Pool-cooler

Considering a glacier sometime soon.
    TFP Moderator Chris V. ~16K Pool & Spa, 48NSF DE, IG Plaster Circa 2000, Intermatic PE653, Challenger pump with a 2 speed B2984, 20gal stenner chlorine injection, Houston, TX
    One cannot follow Islam and Christianity at the same time, nor can one follow pool store methods and TFP at the same time.
    Pool School -- Pool Math -- TF-Test Kit

15. Back To Top    #15

It looks like my Pool wall fittings wouldn't easily come out.
    Is there any Pool Cooler for inground pools which can be mounted on the existing fittings thereby reducing the hassles of removing pool wall (inner) fittings ?

16. Back To Top    #16

If you remove the adjustable "eye" from your wall fitting, are there a pair of grooves in the piece the eye attaches to?

If there is, you can get or make a tool to remove that piece. Then you should be able to screw the appropriate fountain in it's place.
    15'x48" 4500 gallon Intex pool, buried 1.5 ft. Pac-Fab Dynamo 3/4 hp pump. Hayward S180T sand filter, bought used. Taylor K-2006 test kit. Rocket mass heater based wood fired pool heater.