Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Did I add to much stabilizer to my pool ?!?

1. Back To Top    #1

Exclamation Did I add to much stabilizer to my pool ?!?

I completely emptied my water about 7-8 weeks ago. I bought some stabilizer from Walmart, and followed the directions, used a sock in my skimmer.

I put in about 90% of the 4lb container. As you can see it should have brought up the CYA to under 50ppm.

City tap water was used, I don't think it has any CYA from the tap ? But when I do the test I shows almost 100ppm. I followed the test directions and did it twice. I'm I not doing it right ? I know this is one of the most subjective tests with my test kit .

My back to the sun, holding the plastic tube waist high and filling it up. I even Watched you tube videos on it and read the forum many times on this test.

Please help, this is exactly what I wanted to avoid when doing this.

- - - Updated - - -

Here is the results that should've happened from the directions :

Thank you

- - - Updated - - -

Water temp is about 60-65
    Attached Images Attached Images
    12k gal Gunite/Hayward filter C5520BH with quad 33 inch filters. 2.5 hp motor. Pool is on south side, so full sun light. Spill over spa.
    Laar's heater LT250-Low NOx Gas Fired for pool/spa 250,000 BTU. Roof mount 6 panel solar system installed east/south. TF-100 test kit. May-September 100+ degrees out side.

2. Back To Top    #2

Did I add to much stabilizer to my pool ?!?

Hmm. 4lbs should have put you at 40 ppm CYA. There is no CYA in tap water. What was the water temp when you tested ?
    Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Did I add to much stabilizer to my pool ?!?

Ok saw your water temp after I posted
    Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

4. Back To Top    #4

Are you reading the view tube correctly. If it was 100 then you put very little of the sample in the tube and the dot would have been gone. How long has it been since you added the stabilizer ? What are you using for chlorine ? Did you use any dichlor, pucks ?
    Jeff

5. Back To Top    #5

It's been about 4 weeks since I added stabilizer. I'll recheck tomorrow, maybe I misread it. It's been a long day, I'm just tired. I'll post results when I redo it.
    Thank you for the fast responses.
    12k gal Gunite/Hayward filter C5520BH with quad 33 inch filters. 2.5 hp motor. Pool is on south side, so full sun light. Spill over spa.
    Laar's heater LT250-Low NOx Gas Fired for pool/spa 250,000 BTU. Roof mount 6 panel solar system installed east/south. TF-100 test kit. May-September 100+ degrees out side.

6. Back To Top    #6

This time bring the sample in and let it come to room temp then do the test. Your water is not that cold but won't hurt to try it 😎
    Jeff

7. Back To Top    #7

I follow TFP guidelines from the forum, so only bleach. Aggravated

8. Back To Top    #8

Might have just read it wrong, I hope. Your using the right amount of pool water, bottom of the label and the reagent,R-0013 to the top of the label and mixing. Then letting sit for 30 seconds and then shaking once more.
    Maybe somebody else has some thoughts.
    Jeff

9. Back To Top    #9

Hold the tube at its very top using just your thumb and middle finger. Hold you pinky out like your attending a reception for royalty. That way your not blocking any light from illuminating the tube. Let the surface of the sample get still before you judge whether you can see the black dot. There should be absolutely no visibility to the dot. If your thinking you can faintly see the outline of the dot, then add some more solution until there's no doubt the dot is 100% invisible.
    21K gal 16' x 40' in-ground pool built 1959, old school with Jacuzzi bronze pump, American Products 24" Sand Filter & Americana Multiport valve, Jandy Lite2 millivolt heater, Coverstar cover, and classic Kreepy Krauly.

10. Back To Top    #10

Did you test the CYA level after your drain/refill yet before adding the additional CYA? If so what were you at?

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by Leebo View Post
    Did you test the CYA level after your drain/refill yet before adding the additional CYA? If so what were you at?
    Pretty much no CYA was in the new fill water. I could see the black dot with water when the cylinder was full.

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by pwrstrk View Post
    Might have just read it wrong, I hope. Your using the right amount of pool water, bottom of the label and the reagent,R-0013 to the top of the label and mixing. Then letting sit for 30 seconds and then shaking once more.
    Maybe somebody else has some thoughts.
    This was exactly the method I did. Like I said, I'll recheck a new sample at room temp and post results later today. Actually I'll post a full set if results.
    Thank you and the forum had been a great help so far.
    I'm sure I messed up something, this can't be possible. No pucks since the refill.

Water is crystal clear

About time to crank up the solar system in the next week too. I'm sure that will deplete bleach quickly.

13. Back To Top    #13

The only thing you added since the refill is bleach and the 4lbs of the stabilizer. Nothing else ? 😎
    Jeff

14. Back To Top    #14

How are your other results coming? If you add 2FC's worth of chlorine do you see a 2FC increase? Could your pool be smaller than 12k gallons??

Odds still point to test error at this point, so have little worry until you can retest.

15. Back To Top    #15

The only thing you added since the refill is bleach and the 4lbs of the stabilizer. Nothing else ? 😎
    Trick question ?

About a gallon of Mauriac Acid every 10 days or so 1/4 gallon every 3 days or so

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Leebo View Post
    How are your other results coming? If you add 2FC's worth of chlorine do you see a 2FC increase? Could your pool be smaller than 12k gallons??

Odds still point to test error at this point, so have little worry until you can retest.
    I was thinking the same thing on the size of the pool too, can't be less then 10k gallons though

16. Back To Top    #16

I'll be anxious to see what the next results are. I think Jeff was just trying to see if you had added any other Chlorine sources that might have Cya. I saw where you said you'd been using Bleach, so he was just double checking. I'm with Leebo, test error or smaller volume. The latter seems less likely, but let us know what you find out.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

17. Back To Top    #17

Ok, here it is:
    FC 2.5
    CC 0
    TA 90
    CH 625
    CYA 95

Water temp was about 75

I need more bleach right ? I'll call the pool builder and see if they have a record of how many gallons my pool holds. I thought I figured it out right, maybe I miss calculated. Even if it's 2k gallons less it shouldn't be that high according to the label on the stabilizer container numbers above in the picture.

With this much CYA the FC should be 9 ? I can't get the forum calculator up and running.

Thanks

18. Back To Top    #18

If you use 90 the target FC would be 10. If you round up to 100 target FC would be 12. Your min for both levels is 7. A tick or two higher than the target would be fine. What's your PH ? CH is a bit high. Watch your PH level. 😎
    Jeff

19. Back To Top    #19

PH is 7.6 right now. I add about a gallon of MA every 10 days. Gets above 8 after about 10 days, I add 30oz every 3 days or so.

Patrick this picture is for you !!
    Attached Images Attached Images

20. Back To Top    #20

If you use 90 the target FC would be 10. If you round up to 100 target FC would be 12. Your min for both levels is 7. A tick or two higher than the target would be fine. What's your PH ? CH is a bit high. Watch your PH level. ��
    That CH is pretty normal around here, very hard water. I can't do to much about that I don't think. I already drained it about 2 months ago due to CYA of around 170 and CH of 900. I hope with the summer evaporation I can lower the CH over time with out another drain next year.

Thanks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast