Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: DE filter with a sand filter

1. Back To Top    #1

DE filter with a sand filter

Was wondering.....if I currently have a sand filter, would there be a benefit or disadvantage of having a DE filter downstream? Seems that sand filter would catch most, prolonging DE. Thoughts?
    20'x42' inground, Stonescape pebble finish, 41K gal, Jandy Stealth 1.5HP SHPF1.5-2 dual speed pump, Tagelus TA-100D sand filter, CircuPool RJ60 SWGS, Polaris PB4-60Q booster pump, CareTaker in-floor cleaner, Polaris 380 cleaner bot, 2xIntermatic 1353 Timers, Sta Rite 400k Natural Gas SR400NA heater

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: DE filter with a sand filter

The down side would be the added head loss of adding the additional filter. If you're not happy with the filtering that the sand filter is doing you should first try to figure out if something is wrong with the filter. Or if it's something going on with the water. What does the water look like?
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Water is clear, as usual, thanks to TFP. Was just wondering as I saw a great deal on a DE filter and thought about adding it to my system.
    Since pool is enclosed, I rarely have to backwash sand filter but was wondering what's the life expectancy of sand? i understand it can become 'polished' but wasn't sure if I would start seeing particulates in the water or how I would really know it is time to change sand.
    20'x42' inground, Stonescape pebble finish, 41K gal, Jandy Stealth 1.5HP SHPF1.5-2 dual speed pump, Tagelus TA-100D sand filter, CircuPool RJ60 SWGS, Polaris PB4-60Q booster pump, CareTaker in-floor cleaner, Polaris 380 cleaner bot, 2xIntermatic 1353 Timers, Sta Rite 400k Natural Gas SR400NA heater

4. Back To Top    #4

DE filter with a sand filter

I don't have a sand filter but from what I've heard on the forum is the sand doesn't go bad and shouldn't need to be replaced under normal circumstances 😎
    Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

5. Back To Top    #5

Sand existed for millions of years before it went in the filter, so it won't go bad. There are a very few scenarios where sand needs to be replaced, but those are outliers.

You can deep clean the filter once a year by opening it up and gently pushing a running garden hose to the bottom. Move the hose around very carefully (so as to not break a lateral). This will kick up the sand and dislodge the gunk down low, plus allow for a resettling of the sand bed later. Let the water run and overflow from the top until the junk stops flowing out. Reassemble, rinse, and you're good to go.
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry