Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: East Texas pool build in progress

1. Back To Top    #1

East Texas pool build in progress

My pool construction started December 1, 2013 and is ongoing. Yes, I know I have been lazy to not post pics and things so far, but so far we have too many pics to count spread across 3 different cameras. I'm thinking a set of representative photos at the completion of my build will be a good thing once I have a chance to sort through them all. It's a fairly involved build with extensive rock feature, spa, fire pit, outdoor kitchen, and outdoor bathroom. Our rock feature is composed of sprayed gunite over a rebar/mesh form with lots of carving/texturing to look like real rock. Unlike some of the cheezy painted rocks of previous decades it's actually fairly convincing. The outer surface is essentially a mortar/stucco type material with neat little fossil shell/starfish imprints in some spots. The rock feature is approx. 35-40 ft of waterfalls ranging from 3-8 ft above the water surface with a deep grotto/slide combo near the deep end of the pool. My question for the best and brightest of the TFP forum: My PB has given us the option to seal or not to seal the fake rock formation. He thinks that unsealed will better suit the surrounding flagstone used for the beach entry, coping, spa wall, patio. He is worried that a sealant (which will apparently make the rocks look wet all the time even where the waterfalls do not course) will make the rocks look more "fake". He says that there is no difference in terms of durability with or without sealing. Anyone have any opinion or experience with something like this?

[This forum is a fantastic resource for building and maintaining a pool. Thank you all!]
    30X40' free-form gunite/plaster pool, 4-8' deep with flagstone beach entry, gunite "rock" retaining wall with multiple small waterfalls/planters, grotto/slide/waterfall combo, 18" raised spa with waterfall into pool

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: East Texas pool build in progress

Welcome to the forum! With a build like this we are ready to see pictures start to finish!

Is this going to be a Salt Chlorine Pool?
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

3. Back To Top    #3

The rock feature is approx. 35-40 ft of waterfalls ranging from 3-8 ft above the water surface with a deep grotto/slide combo near the deep end of the pool.
    Ok, you have my full attention now. Can't wait to see the build pictures.

4. Back To Top    #4

Without sealer the concrete may be a bit "grittier" letting more sand particles stick to peoples bare feet when they walk across it and therefore track them around. (this of course partly depends on the concrete blend that was used). I had a big problem with this with a concrete patch done with cheap sak crete, it is only a small 4x4 ft corner of pool section, but is bad enough that even with sealer I am thinking about jack hammering it out and repouring.
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

5. Back To Top    #5

I'll see if I can't get some pics coming a little sooner For the most part, the rock feature won't be walked on except for some steps on the far deep side leading up to the top of the slide. You can definitely "scramble" around on the rocks (and this is necessary for accessing some planters), but this will probably be fairly limited especially due to the risk of slipping when the waterfalls are running. We looked at a similar rock feature the PB had done a few years ago with complete sealing, but unfortunately it was raining buckets at the time so it was pretty much impossible to appreciate any difference between wet and dry areas with the sealer... My pool will not be SWG. PB recommended against using this with flagstone which is pretty extensive in our build. We already had a flagstone patio so it was easier to match the pool to it instead of ripping it out. A tablet feeder will be installed which I plan to use for start up/vacation only. May look into other in line chlorinators depending on how worn out I get from adding stuff manually. I'm especially anticipating huge acid requirements with new plaster, tons of aeration, and a TA of 450/pH 8.2 in my fill water. At this point I'm hoping to start filling the pool in a month or so. As expected with a build like this and the horrendous weather we've had in East Texas this winter, it's already past when I initially hoped to fill. No worries, though. PB is good, and work continues.
    30X40' free-form gunite/plaster pool, 4-8' deep with flagstone beach entry, gunite "rock" retaining wall with multiple small waterfalls/planters, grotto/slide/waterfall combo, 18" raised spa with waterfall into pool

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

Welcome to the forum. We can deal with test on new builds but we love pics, too.....especially on a new build. One of the online photo albums seems easier for most of the members

Shoot all your questions our way, too. We'll help if we can
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

7. Back To Top    #7

Ok, I've done it:

Rock feature:

Grotto/slide close up:
    i-zJ9FB74-S.jpg

Texture close up:
    i-wDKx822-S.jpg

Rock build:
    i-gL9Jc8N-S.jpg

The pipes you can see in the structure are for water/conduit for wiring. They are going to install the super new Hayward ColorLogic LED Accent lights in about 10 spots to illuminate the waterfalls, slide, steps, etc. and coordinate with my pool/spa lights. There are 3-4 planters in the structure. The steps to the slide are behind what you see in the front view pics. There is a pic of the roughed-in steps in the gallery linked below. The rocks have been cleaned up a bit since I took those pictures. They still have to do some staining to mimic flagstone and then +/- seal. I'm thinking unsealed will indeed look better, I just hope that it doesn't impact the longevity of the structure. I need to take a few more pics of the pool as it sits currently, I'm a little behind at this point. Check out http://pevey.smugmug.com/Other/Pool-...7698184_nJrgVH to see the others I've done so far.
    Attached Images Attached Images

8. Back To Top    #8

Suhweet!
    Looks great! That's quite a waterfall/slide you're building there!!

Keep the pictures coming!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by mac1775 View Post
    Ok, you have my full attention now. Can't wait to see the build pictures.
    Haha, I read the same part and suddenly, was like, wait... did that say 35 -40ft of waterfall with a slide?!! NICE! I too will be following closely. Love slides!
    38'x24' freeform IG gunite, 26k gallons, 3.5' - 7'
    8t Moss rock waterfall with gunite slide
    SWCG, 2 x 2.7hp Hayward Tristar pumps, booster pump, 425 sqft cartridge, 400,000 BTU heater, Polaris Black Max 280, ProLogic PS8 & Aquapod

9. Back To Top    #9

You will be the vacation destination for years to come. Very nice!!

10. Back To Top    #10

Welcome to TFP from Longview Tx.

Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

11. Back To Top    #11

I'm not worthy.
    Great build, will be watching!

12. Back To Top    #12

!!!!!!!!WOW!!!!!!!!

13. Back To Top    #13

nice
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

14. Back To Top    #14

Man... that's nice!!!
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

15. Back To Top    #15

Can't wait till this one is done. It's going to be awesome ! 😎
    Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

16. Back To Top    #16

Realized that none of my pics actually show the entire project. Hope this shows it a little better. I had to learn how to use the panoramic mode on the camera.

They are about halfway done with outdoor bathroom. What's left after that: build outdoor kitchen, more drainage/French drain stuff, tie in electric/water/gas, install pool equipment, finishing of rock feature, seal deck, install lights, plaster. The warm weather makes me impatient but I'm glad they are doing a good job.

17. Back To Top    #17

Wow, that is cool! Look forward to seeing the final project.
    Swimming!: 19x32 IG rectangular pool, 22,500 gallons; 3' - 6.5'; open spa w/ 6 jets; raised wall w/ 1 sheer descent and 2 minijets, 2 color-changing LED pool lights, 1 spa light; Jandy 2 1/2 HP 2 speed Pump, Jandy cartridge filter (320 SQFT), Diamondbrite Cool Blue

18. Back To Top    #18

Looks awesome!!!!
    Vette, DH, & 2 DDs Our IG AGP Build
    In-ground Radiant 24', 1.5 Pentair IntelliFlo pump, Hayward Sand Filter

19. Back To Top    #19

Holy Cow!

This is going to be a fantastic staycation location! Wait, location - Texas. No surprise there!

Keep the pics coming!
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

20. Back To Top    #20

They are starting to stain the rock formation!!

Since the last update they have finished bricking the outdoor bathroom and added matching brick facing around the plumbing for the outdoor shower. They also added a hose bib under the shower which will be great for washing off feet. A little bit of hand trenching was done for the gas line tie-in along with some fishing wires through conduit, but that doesn't make cool pictures! The rocks are really starting to look more like the native stone around here (or close to here, at least). I will be glad when they finally finish the remaining trenching for water line tie-in and drainage so I can finally start the yard recovery process and stop being so nervous about various other underground utilities being traumatized in the process. Otherwise the last real "building" element of the project will be to construct the outdoor kitchen, which is only represented by a water line/drain, gas, and electric conduit at this point.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast