Making the switch

Jun 14, 2008
Hi all. Been reading the forums for about 2 weeks now and have decided to go BBB.

For years I've been using the pool store approach. I would open the pool on Memorial day. Everything would be fine until about the end of July. August was a loosing battle until I would close the pool on labor day. June through Aug. is about the extent of our swimming season.

I have the Taylor complete DPD test kit.

My first set of readings are:

FC - 3
TC - 5
PH - 7.2
TA - 120
CH - 130
CYA - 50

The water looks good. So what do I do now? Should I try to lower the TA and raise the PH? Once I have everything where it should be I want to add Borates to the water.

Also, with this test kit I have a hard time matching the colors for the chlorine. I always do multiple tests and then guess at the reading. Does anyone sell just the FAS-DPD chlorine test? I don't want to have to buy another test kit. All of the other tests are fine.

Thanks
Mike

Hi, Mike,

Welcome to the forum.

Your numbers look pretty good. I notice a 2ppm difference between TC and FC, indicating 2ppm CC's.

If you concur with that you'll need to shock the pool up to about 20ppm and hold it there until your CC's get to .5ppm or lower.

I sell the FAS/DPD test by itself on my website in my sig. I'm pretty sure it's about $23.00. It's all very fresh Taylor Chemistry but I do not put it in a kit container.....just the individual components.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.