help me choose a replacement pump

Feb 27, 2014
Austin, TX
My pool pump/motor broke - bearings, rod, and impeller. I have a 1HP century centurion B2841 motor with 1.65SF, however it says 1.5HP challenger on the pump (not an original pair?), 2"pipes in/out. I don't want to just replace the motor, because the whole system seems semi-vintage.

Pool stats: kidney 15K (per pool guy estimate), IG plaster, DE filter Nautilus - ?size - (label is mostly gone' stainless steel housing ~2ftx2ft diameter), built ~1988, supposed to have a waterfall feature, there is an extra pump that I never used for a cleaner (I actually like cleaning my pool) and a heater that has been disabled because it leaked (i'm not looking to replace that). The pool has a skimmer and main drain, 2 outs plus the one for the cleaner and the extra pipe for the waterfall which I don't use because it also leaks (next project, but it's basically a 2" pipe on top of a rock with an on/off valve).

I have been researching pool pumps and can't find a good comparison website. I am leaning toward Pentair Superflow or Whisperflow (is it worth the extra money?)

I have also seen numerous 'off brand' pumps on ebay that are the same size. Are they just as good or do I want to go with a name brand product?

My pump has been running on a timer, 12hrs in summer down to 4hrs in winter time and my water was always great - green now:(. We use the pool daily during swim season. I don't think I want a VS pump because I need something I can actually operate and figure out. Is it worth going DS?

Thanks much

What's your energy cost. If it's less then $0.20 KWH then a 2-speed is the way to go, if its greater than $.0.40 KWH than a variable speed is the way to go, if it's between $.0.20-$0.40 than it depends if a 2-speed or variable speed is the way to go.

Without any high flow water needs, I would suggest the 1HP Superflo 2-speed ... there is no need for the more powerful Whisperflo that will just cost more money to buy and to run.

The Superflo also comes with a manual switch installed on the back to select speeds, so if you can turn on and off a light, you can figure out how to switch speeds ;)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.