Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: TA levels with SWG

1. Back To Top    #1

TA levels with SWG

Why is TA recommended at 60-80ppm in Salt Water Pool (Vinyl Liner) and not higher? What are the consequences of raising it to say 120ppm

2. Back To Top    #2
    Elverson Pa.

TA levels with SWG

With SWG's the PH level has a tendency to increase. The lower TA level is to help with PH not increasing so quickly. With higher TA levels the PH level tends to increase quicker thus the reason for lower TA levels. TA is a buffer for PH.

When PH levels are pretty stable with a slow increase the TA is in a good spot whatever the TA level is.
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: TA levels with SWG

Yep, quicker pH rise. Even more so with spa or waterfalls running. Also, with higher CH, SW cells tend or can tend to scale more quickly.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    TF-100 Test Kit, ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Flagstone, 36"SF, Pentair VS Pump, EasyTouch W/Remote, Rheem 400KBTU Htr

4. Back To Top    #4
    Twin Cities, MN

Re: TA levels with SWG

You got great answers above...I am just curious what got you thinking about a higher TA level?
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.