Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: O-ring Lubricant

1. Back To Top    #1

O-ring Lubricant

I have a Hayward cartridge filter that is seeping water at the middle rim. I have read several places that state the o-ring needs to be lubricated with a silicone-based lubricant. The manual that came with the filter says not to lubricate the o-ring. I am confused. Should I lubricate it or not?
    24K gal, QuartzScapes plaster, Hayward EcoStar 2 hp variable speed pump, Hayward 525sqft SWIMCLEAR cartridge filter, Hayward Aqua Rite SWG, Polaris 280 pool cleaner with Hayward booster pump, Hayward 1.5 hp Tristar pump for water features, Aqualogic PS-4 controller with wireless desktop remote.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: O-ring Lubricant

I use the silicone lube.

3. Back To Top    #3

...and I use the teflon "pool lube". Either will work fine...just don't use a petroleum-based lubricant or it will destroy the o-ring.
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

4. Back To Top    #4

I could not find a silicon-based lubricant while I was out today. I have a can of GM Super Lube. Anyone know if this would work? I know it is safe for rubber and plastic.

5. Back To Top    #5
    17K Kidney Shaped Pool Concrete (Diamond Bright) Pool, 3/4 hp 2 speed 115V Sta-rite Duraglas PEA5D-180L/P2R5D-181L (Impeller C105-92PS Diffuser C1-216P), 1.5 piping, Pentair CC100 Filter , Heat Siphon 100K BTU Heat Pump Pool Heater, Flow meter Blue White Flowmeter Model No. F-30150P, Hayward Astrolight SP0581N, SWCG CalimarTitanium Edition TE45 , Dolphin Nautilus Plus with CleverClean, Lakeland Florida

6. Back To Top    #6

Faucet lube from HD or Lowe's would be great - in a pinch some KY Jelly would work, too - preferably not one of the 'enhanced' versions..........
    24 foot AG Vinyl, 10 year old wall, 1 year old liner
    Hayward 240T Sand (free!)
    Hayward 1.5 hp pump (free)
    BBB just ROCKS!

7. Back To Top    #7

TFP Guide

Quote Originally Posted by Melt In The Sun View Post
    ...and I use the teflon "pool lube". Either will work fine...just don't use a petroleum-based lubricant or it will destroy the o-ring.
    I know it has big letters that say petroleum jelly on Vaseline but I've used it on a ton of O rings with no adverse affects , , , but none were for a pool. I'm getting ready to replace the sand and O rings in my filter and would normally just use Vaseline. Does it have an adverse effect on the rubber they use in pool equipment ??
    '70s IG Vinyl 32K gal, Lazy L, Hayward SuperPump 1.5hp 120V, S240 Sand Filter W/DE
    Solar Blanket, Well Water, Borax Added, TF-100 tester. ? too cold
    1979, 275gal Conway Emerald Spa P-100-2, ES-2 Spa Pack, bromine floater, indoor
    TF-100, Best test kit - TFTestkits.net
    Please help keep the lights on, become a TFP Supporter!

8. Back To Top    #8

It depends on the type of o-ring material, but petroleum jelly will cause common rubber o-rings to swell. A sign of its use is when you open a valve up and the o-ring jumps out and will not seem to fit back into the grove where it belongs.

Ike
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

9. Back To Top    #9

Over the very long term (8+ years) petroleum jelly will cause most o-rings to fail sooner than they otherwise would.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

10. Back To Top    #10

TFP Guide

I just hate to buy another chemical but I believe and I'd rather do it right. I was even a little sorry to ask but I'm glad I did as going with silicone is likely better for my automotive applications as well.
    Thanks.
    '70s IG Vinyl 32K gal, Lazy L, Hayward SuperPump 1.5hp 120V, S240 Sand Filter W/DE
    Solar Blanket, Well Water, Borax Added, TF-100 tester. ? too cold
    1979, 275gal Conway Emerald Spa P-100-2, ES-2 Spa Pack, bromine floater, indoor
    TF-100, Best test kit - TFTestkits.net
    Please help keep the lights on, become a TFP Supporter!