Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Tasting Salt?

1. Back To Top    #1

Tasting Salt?

I put the salt in my new pool last night. We have a 35,000gallon pool and I added 800lbs of salt. The kids helped me stir it up and were saying they could taste salt?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Tasting Salt?

Assuming 0 salt before, that puts you about 2700 ppm. Are you running a SWG?

Tasting salt in the water is an individual things. Some are sensitive to it at much lower levels than others. I only have 1200 ppm salt in my pool and my wife swears she can taste it (she doesn't know I added any, just her observation). I can't.

If you aren't running SWG and are just looking for the improved water feel, you don't need to go that high, but it's kinda late now

3. Back To Top    #3

I am running the SWG. I turned it on last night after I put the salt in. Maybe it needs to circulate through?

4. Back To Top    #4

Yeah, a good circulation should help. Even then, some will be sensitive to it, others won't have a clue.

Just tell them to keep their mouths shut

5. Back To Top    #5

The lower threshold for tasting salt is something like 250 ppm (though as Rangeball pointed out, not everyone or even many people can taste it at that level); it's not at all surprising that you can taste it at 2700+ ppm.

6. Back To Top    #6

I'm at 3200 (SWG) and most everyone that has swam can taste the salt.

John

7. Back To Top    #7

Ours is at 3700 and you can definitely taste the salt. It's not a strong or objectionable taste, but you can tell it's there.
    Our pool adventure... click here

8. Back To Top    #8

I tasted it the first couple of months. Then you get used to it and it goes away.

If you were in the pool stirring up the 800lbs, then you would DEFINITELY taste it, it takes a while for the salt to fully diffuse. I can taste the "additional" salt when I add 40lbs to may deep end and jump in to stir it up.
    20 x 40 vinyl IG. SWG. Solar. Ikeric VS pump.

9. Back To Top    #9

I used to have the salt level in our pool at 1,200ppm and I could taste it when swimming. Now the level is up to 3,000ppm and the salt taste is pretty strong, though not offensive.

dan
    33' Aqua-Leader AGP
    Hayward cartridge filter and IntelliFlo VS pump.
    Solar Heat coming ; used to own Aqua-Cal HeatWave 100k (HeatPump)
    Aqua-Rite t-15 SWG

10. Back To Top    #10

My salt is at 3600 ppm and most everyone can taste it a bit. It's not strong, I'd say a little less than tears.
    20,000 plaster in ground (finally blue!), Hayward C-1100 Cartridge Filter and Baracuda G4 Automatic Cleaner

11. Back To Top    #11

Why is everyone stiring up their salt? We just had our pool installed and started up and the pool guy poured the salt in the skimmer with no stiring involved. Is it ok to run 7 bags of salt through the skimmer?
    15,000 gal Freeform Salt Water (SWG), Pebble Sheen with in floor cleaner. Hayward 1.5hp pump and 425sq ft Hayward Cartridge filter. 35sq ft Waterfall with separate 1.5hp Hayward Pump.

12. Back To Top    #12

Yes, you can pour salt into the skimmer. That usually ends up taking just slightly longer than simply dumping it into the pool and then brushing it around a little. Either approach works fine.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

13. Back To Top    #13

I put salt in my pool early in July for the first time. Someone posted that you should do a salt test before you add any. I did and was surprized to have a reading of about 830ppm. It's because I use liquid chlorine. Using the pool calculartor I added just enough to get to 1890ppm. The wife is the only one that can taste the salt. It's not a bad taste and no one finds it objectable. Along with the borates, the water does taste alittle different. The water in general looks better.
    Hotrod30

20 X 40 foot vinyl Borates and Salt Pool
    Rolachem Chlorine Feeder
    Hayward 27 inch sand filter with 80 lbs of pea gravel
    Jacuzzi Splash Pak SP55 DE filter in parallel
    Pentair VF3050 pump