Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My Outdoor Fireplace build...

1. Back To Top    #1

My Outdoor Fireplace build...

Well I searched all over the internet looking into options into doing a outdoor Fireplace next to my patio/pool. I couldn't find any real direction to get going on it.

Talked to my landscaper about my vision...$4,800! I just couldn't see spending that (was budgeting half that). So the excessive price talked me into trying to do it myself.

I found a nice site Backyardflare.com, they will sell you plans to build your own fireplace...all for $35. Seemed like a great place to start. I found a plan the wife and I agreed on and ordered them up. I can honestly say, it is pretty easy to build these things once you have a step by step break down. I actually modified the plans a bit on the fly and it turned out pretty good.

If your a handy guy this is something you could tackle easily.

Costs so far:

-Concrete pad with Rebarb $400
    -Supplies from Lowes $500
    -Firebrick from Brickyard $100
    -Travertine for Caps and accents $250
    -Stucco from Contractor ~$300ish
    Total: ~$1,500...saved $3k!!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    IG, 18K gallons, 100' Perimeter, 565 SF surface area, 980sf interior area, Max Length -36', Max Width - 16', Pentair 520 Clean and Clear Cartridge Filter, Stenner Chemical Injection System (Chlorine, Acid Coming Soon) , Pebble Tech - Blue Granite, Pentair variable speed filter pump, Zodiac MX8 Cleaner, Multi-Colored LED Lighting, Travertine coping & Decking, Boulder Water Fall....

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: My Outdoor Fireplace build...

So far this is where I am at...This picture is After the mantel is hung an waiting for the liquid nails to dry on the steel rods supporting it.
    IG, 18K gallons, 100' Perimeter, 565 SF surface area, 980sf interior area, Max Length -36', Max Width - 16', Pentair 520 Clean and Clear Cartridge Filter, Stenner Chemical Injection System (Chlorine, Acid Coming Soon) , Pebble Tech - Blue Granite, Pentair variable speed filter pump, Zodiac MX8 Cleaner, Multi-Colored LED Lighting, Travertine coping & Decking, Boulder Water Fall....

3. Back To Top    #3

Very cool. I assume you're doing the brick work yourself. Do you happen to have a pic of what the final product will look like?

Also, since it's a wood burning fireplace, do you have minimum height requirements for the chimney? I know this has been an issue during our design discussions on our covered patio.

Keep it up..

4. Back To Top    #4

http://www.backyardflare.com/pima%20ii.html This is the plans for the fireplace. As you can see I did modify it. Made it a bit taller to conpensate for the mantel and took out the ledges.

Out here there are no building codes for outdoor fireplaces. Some towns have a minimum clearance from the top of the chimney to the nearest part of the house of 10 feet. Mine easily clears that.

5. Back To Top    #5

That's a nice looking build.
    Thanks for posting the link for the plans as I am wanting to build one myself.
    Sincerely Vic

6. Back To Top    #6

I am really interested in seeing the final product. Please keep posting the pics.
    Approx 11K Gal. 10'X30' Semi free-form IG - 6 ' raised spa w/6 jets - 10' circle sun shelf with 1 bubbler - Waterfall - 3 / 1.5 HP pumps - Polaris 280 Cleaner - 3 Pentair Color LED Intellibrite Lights - Pentair 400K Master Temp - 2 Valve Actuators - 5 Fiberstar Mini Laminars - 1 Fiberstars 2004 Illuminator - 2 Skimmers - 6 Returns - Caribbean Blue Pebble Tech - 600+ sq ft kool decK - Auto Fill - 2 Boston Acoustics VOYA RK5 Outdoor Rock Speakers - 2 TIC Corporation TFS5CN 6.5-Inch 150-Watt Terra-Forms Rock Speakers - Apple Airport Express - 1 Awesome View.

7. Back To Top    #7

Added some travertine to match the decking...

8. Back To Top    #8

Very nice! excellent job. I can relate to the high cost for a pre-cast with a move. I'm impressed and will use this thread for a friends FP build. Thanks for posting.
    Dave My Pool Build, ODK Build
    22X42 Gunite Freeform 23K Gal, 10X12 Spa
    Diamond-Brite midnight blue, 1800sq. ft Kool Deck
    Pentair Easy-Touch 8, 2-2hp Pentair, 500lb Sand Filter, 400K btu Pentair heater

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by NoFear95
    That looks very nice.
    I have ordered a set of plans for the Santa Cruz.
    Once the arctic blast recedes I plan to get started.

A quick question when you installed the firebrick or refractory brick how did you secure it to the CMU.
    Did you in-bed any fasteners or clips in the CMU or just use mortar between the two bricks?

Thanks in advance, Vic

10. Back To Top    #10

looks great, a real inspiration for all of us

Ike
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by cudavic
    Quote Originally Posted by NoFear95
    That looks very nice.
    I have ordered a set of plans for the Santa Cruz.
    Once the arctic blast recedes I plan to get started.

A quick question when you installed the firebrick or refractory brick how did you secure it to the CMU.
    Did you in-bed any fasteners or clips in the CMU or just use mortar between the two bricks?

Thanks in advance, Vic
    I used a high temperature adhesive. You can use refactory Mortar...but its about $50 for a 80 pound bag. Since I don't have exposed mortar joints I went the route of the adhesive. So far I tried it out twice with no issues.

12. Back To Top    #12

Completed the stucco this weekend to match the house...just need to paint it up and I'll post an updated picture. All in with everything I probably have ~$1,600 into the project. This was a project I got qoutes of $4,500-$4,800....wasn't beyond anyone who is handy...an a $3,000 savings made it worth it!

13. Back To Top    #13

Very cool...in for final pics.

14. Back To Top    #14

Great project and nicely documented!

Looks fantastic so far and can't wait to see the final pics
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

15. Back To Top    #15

Stucco Completed today...just need paint!!!

16. Back To Top    #16

This DIYer thanks you for the motivation and information on doing yours. Now at least I can point to this to the wife and go, see.....somebody else wants to do this stuff too!!

Great job.

Bob E.

17. Back To Top    #17

I'd post some updated pictures but the file size limits are soooo small, yikes. Onto the outdoor stereo next!

18. Back To Top    #18

That looks awesome. Nice job !!
    Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

19. Back To Top    #19

Final Update...Painted an used. Quite a project, but will worth it for the savings!

20. Back To Top    #20

Looks great. I think instead of those small lights, I might of used led strip lights under the overhang.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast