New Pool Build - Trouble Struck! Please help 2.1.14

Re: New Pool - Pearland, TX updated 1.12.14 material chosen

For the decking, we are using the silver travertine. I thought sun deck wouldn't look good. I am still debating whether or not I want to extend the travertine to cover the entire back patio...... it sort of is a financial ding that I think shouldn't cost that sort of money. Our back patio is large. What matters and I need to make a decision on is whether or not to just have the travertine decking come up flush with the back patio or whether or not to have it installed meeting the back patio one inch higher. I feel like I could get the travertine added later for 1/4th the cost? Maybe I am unrealistic there.

We also got news that the HOA has fully approved the build. Loan closes tomorrow. Marking of the yard may begin next week.

If you could - I would have the pool builder do the travertine over the decking. It may cost more, but it would be all done at once and will all be level and match (plus you have one company to go back to if you ever have any issues). Are you doing any type of pattern with the travertine? If so, you will need to think of a good way to transition from the patio to the decking if you go back and add it later.

I know that if I did not do the patio right now, I would plan for it to be done later and leave the 1" or whatever was needed to add travertine in the future.

Yakag97 - we are in Missouri City (Sienna Plantation). We had a 400K Btu heater installed. The cost was a bit more than the smaller heaters and it is overkill for just heating the spa, but it gets it done quicker - if we want to use the spa, we don't have to wait a long time before it is ready. We have not heated the entire pool yet, but it would make that process faster as well.

Steve

shuye said:
Yakag97 - we are in Missouri City (Sienna Plantation). We had a 400K Btu heater installed. The cost was a bit more than the smaller heaters and it is overkill for just heating the spa, but it gets it done quicker - if we want to use the spa, we don't have to wait a long time before it is ready. We have not heated the entire pool yet, but it would make that process faster as well.

Steve
To add to this - we also have a 400K BTU heater. If it's only for the spa, you could easily go smaller. For heating an entire pool though, I wouldn't recommend going smaller. Mine took nearly 2 days to heat it from the high 40's into the 90's (I wouldn't normally heat it when it was that cold but I needed to go into the pool to have a look at something so I decided to make the most of it and let the family swim in it too). In October I heated the pool many times (switched it on in the morning and it was lovely by lunchtime/early afternoon) - this was to raise it by 10-15 degrees or so. Again, with a smaller heater that would have taken a lot longer and wouldn't have made it as practical.
When it's cold, it's nice to have the capacity for the spa too. Mine will heat the spa 40 degrees in about 1.5 hours.

Congrats on moving forward Appleguy! I can't comment on the cost of getting travertine afterwards but I think I'd say that having a continuous deck material and not having a step or lip there is important.
You have just a concrete pad there right now, correct? I think I would want to have it all travertine but also to do it now. I think honestly, it would diminish the aesthetic if it went from the travertine to just concrete.

Is there any chance you can contract out all of the decking separately (or even just the covered patio portion) to get it all done at once?

cbink said:
Congrats on moving forward Appleguy! I can't comment on the cost of getting travertine afterwards but I think I'd say that having a continuous deck material and not having a step or lip there is important.
You have just a concrete pad there right now, correct? I think I would want to have it all travertine but also to do it now. I think honestly, it would diminish the aesthetic if it went from the travertine to just concrete.

Is there any chance you can contract out all of the decking separately (or even just the covered patio portion) to get it all done at once?

Thank you! We just have the concrete pad there now. I am going to look into getting a separate contract to finish out the look. I think you are right, it will look better.

shuye said:
I know that if I did not do the patio right now, I would plan for it to be done later and leave the 1" or whatever was needed to add travertine in the future.

Steve

I honestly am a little nervous to ask about a pattern. They probably want more $$$, right? I don't know why.... but decking is just a cost that pains me. We have the money but I guess I think of other things like dropping a large check off at a landscaper vs adding another 1,000 feet of decking. Hopeful I find some good news about getting another contractor to finish the look off affordably.

We are going to get a versailles pattern on the travertine... no extra charge. Phew. Now to try and work out a deal on more decking.

Our yard is covered in orange, yellow and red spray paint. I added silver to mark our sprinkler system heads. Meeting with the contractor Wednesday to spray paint the map on the ground and stake. Progress!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

I am putting 3,000 sq/ft of travertine pavers in all the seating areas and around the pool. The existing patio is stamped concrete and 550 sq/ft. The PB is going to use travertine tile for that. We are paying $10.00 per sq/ft. If you don't mind me asking, what is your cost per sq/ft?

$10? wow...thats about $4 less per sq ft I've been told. You are doing 3000sq/ft tho, $30,000 is a good job for someone.

If you look at "new build in South Texas, you'll get an idea of the project. You'll love the travertine. My project has been going on for 6 months and should last another 3 months. Travertine install may start in about 4 weeks

I have been playing around in photoshop today and finally gave up trying to edit the photo studio picture. LOL

Tonight, I went to Target and have been drawing out the color choices on the sketched design. My only issue is trying to draw in the snow pavers. I should have gotten some of the colored paper with the milk pens!

What I am considering doing.... for the decking as it will be silver, have the coping that is the same level as the decking all stay silver. The raised wall and the spa, have that be the snow coping. In other words, limit the amount of snow. I wish I could demonstrate this more easily.

I hope everyone has had a great weekend.

appleguy711 said:
I have been playing around in photoshop today and finally gave up trying to edit the photo studio picture. LOL

Tonight, I went to Target and have been drawing out the color choices on the sketched design. My only issue is trying to draw in the snow pavers. I should have gotten some of the colored paper with the milk pens!

What I am considering doing.... for the decking as it will be silver, have the coping that is the same level as the decking all stay silver. The raised wall and the spa, have that be the snow coping. In other words, limit the amount of snow. I wish I could demonstrate this more easily.

I hope everyone has had a great weekend.
If they'll give you the pool studio file, you can download a trial for free and open their file and play around with it. The only downside is you can't save.
If you want to try out color choices or play with the landscaping etc, it's very handy.

I need some advice. Presently we have a 12" raised spa going in. The contractor says 18" is the way to go. Thoughts? $450.00 ding. Our dig allegedly begins tomorrow!!

I say yes!!! :). 18"
Easier getting in and out of the spa and sitting on the edge is more comfortable than 12".

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.