West Texas Pool Build

Re: Our West Texas Pool Build

Sorry for the wait on updated pics, and thanks for everyone's interest.

Here we are ready for gunite and they got it done last week.

Rebarrs2_zps52408c29-1.jpg

For those who asked here's Sarge checking it out. He really doesn't know what to make of all this commotion.

Rebarrs3_zps04086356-1.jpg

Here we are shooting the shell. It got done well enough, but the utter destruction of my yard is hard to look at and think about. Thus I haven't taken any pics of the completed shell. I know I'm whining but I don't even wanna see it. It's hard to imagine it ever being nice again. I know it will, but I know what I'll be doing all summer to get it half way back. They came out to prep for tile this week and we finally ordered some yesterday. Not sure when we will proceed with more work, but I'll update when we do.

Rebarrs1_zps5df7d0fd-1.jpg

I feel your pain, Patrick! The yard being torn up really does drag your spirits down - it's something you want to look at ALL THE TIME because it's this huge project and expense and you are so excited about it but the environment really is a bummer. Since our yard was already half-decrepit from neglect and the aging pool when we moved in two years ago, we hadn't spent our normal amount of effort to get it up to our usual "yard pride" standards, but it was still miles ahead of where we are at this moment (dirt, garbage, more dirt). I tried to focus on the front yard while we were working on plans for the remodel, and that cheered me up some!

Brushpup said:
Here we are shooting the shell. It got done well enough, but the utter destruction of my yard is hard to look at and think about. Thus I haven't taken any pics of the completed shell. I know I'm whining but I don't even wanna see it. It's hard to imagine it ever being nice again. I know it will, but I know what I'll be doing all summer to get it half way back. They came out to prep for tile this week and we finally ordered some yesterday. Not sure when we will proceed with more work, but I'll update when we do.
It'll get there!! I remember being at that point thinking, is my yard ever going to recover from this?! It will!
The plumbing being run was the worst bit in terms of yard damage and it looks like they've already done that so hopefully you've turned the corner on yard chaos! Our plumbing was all done after the shell was shot so it looked quite neat with the gunite in and then the trenches all came!

Looking good so far though!

My front yard was destroyed too! They had to run the gas line across the front over to the equipment - it was a 90 ft run! Going the back way would have been over two hundred feet through tree roots and under the driveway. So destruction on all sides! It's going to take a while for things to look normal here.

We were so excited to come home last week and see they had filled in the huge electrical trenches and sort of smoothed all the dirt humps around and pushed it over to the edges of the yard, so there was a flat spot to walk. Our joy was short lived because we came home the next day and found they had dug a big 5' deep x 6' long hole at one corner looking for our French drain to connect to it! It looks to me like they dug the wrong direction from where I showed them the line was run and ended up finding our sewer line instead. Doh! After that, the hole has just sat there, for almost a week. If it's not one thing it's another, isn't it!?

Once they finally (we thought) were done destroying things, they sort of leveled the yard and put down 4 pallets of sod, only two were included and to be honest, we needed at least one more on top of that. They slapped it down and left, previously when we had sod done they rolled over it to make sure it was all down and flat. Then they came to plaster and the guys cleaned out the buckets and tools out in the grass, the electricians came to install the equipment and destroyed the grass there! Geez! I would have rather waited on the sod until everything was done!

Man! You guys Cheered me up already, just listening to your "adventures". :mrgreen:

I guess we can start our own support group...sounds like we whiners could use one. :lol:

Honestly it's hard visualize it completed, but I'm counting my blessings being able to do this. It still seems surreal some days. I walk out and think, wow, we are really doing this!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

Butterfly said:
Hang in there, Patrick. We're all here for you and Sarge appears to be keeping things under some control in the yard :)
Thank you Sweetheart, you're a Doll. :wave: :cheers:

MiaOKC said:
I think when the tile finally got on I could "kinda" see it if I squinted just right. And I already had the dang pool in the backyard!
:lol: :lol: :lol:

That's funny right there..... :mrgreen:

Well, it's not much of an update, but I found the pics of the stone we are using. Took these a while back now at the stone yard. Should have taken more close ups, but I'll do that when the stuff gets here. We are waiting on tile now, so things are not progressing. Weather is holding us up now though as well. I expect we will be doing some tile work later in the week, but who knows....

Deckcoping1rs_zps5399cf48-1.jpg

Thanks Mark, just not much more to show right now. I guess I can load some pics of the shell. Pretty boring at the moment.

Not boring at all! Love seeing the shell - allows you to get a grasp of the whole shape.

If you're still stressing over the state of your yard - it WILL go back to how it was before (well it'll have a beautiful hole with water in it, but other than that...). I remember how stressful it was with a massive great hunk of a gunite hole and devastation in the rest of the yard but it all comes together very quickly at the end. :goodjob:

OK folks here's a little update. Thanks again for your interest. For those wanting more pics...

Here are a couple from either end to show the shape. Pretty ordinary, but I think it will come out nice. So far we are pleased with the outline.

finish4rs_zpsaabc76dc-1.jpg

Ok, now one from the shallow.....

finish5rs_zps69a5667b-1.jpg

Here is the waterline tile we chose. My wife really likes this a lot, and the more I look at it, the more I like it.

finish3rs_zps3d0731bb-1.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.