First SLAM - finished at last!

Re: First SLAM - growing weary...

Is there any way you could post a set of current test results with your FC, CC, and CYA results?? What were the results of your last OCLT???

Current FC tested just before sunset was 25. Which is a negligible difference from where it was this morning after I added chlorine. :mrgreen:

I can do OCLT starting with that number, right?

I'll have to test CYA in the morning since it's already dark here. It was 80 or so when I started this process. It may change a little now because we just finished backwashing the filter today and are topping up the pool water right now.

I was trying to figure out what FC level to target (assuming a CYA of 80). Does 17 or 18 sound fine? Maybe I shoot for 20 upon addition of chlorine with the hope that it won't drop below 16 before the next addition the following day? Is that reasonable and will it be effective?

LaVidaVi said:
Current FC tested just before sunset was 25. Which is a negligible difference from where it was this morning after I added chlorine. :mrgreen:
I can do OCLT starting with that number, right?
Quickly looking at the sunset time for Visalia it looks like there was very little time passed from your last test and sunset. With a CYA level of 80 you should have lost very little chlorine to the sun anyways, so a FC level of 25 is a good place to start your OCLT. Test tomorrow 1st thing and let's see if there's anything consuming the chlorine in your pool.

LaVidaVi said:
I'll have to test CYA in the morning since it's already dark here. It was 80 or so when I started this process. It may change a little now because we just finished backwashing the filter today and are topping up the pool water right now.
For now a CYA level of 80 is a good number to go with. As long as you've not done any major draining (sounds like you haven't) we'll go with this number. No need to retest tomorrow.

LaVidaVi said:
I was trying to figure out what FC level to target (assuming a CYA of 80). Does 17 or 18 sound fine? Maybe I shoot for 20 upon addition of chlorine with the hope that it won't drop below 16 before the next addition the following day? Is that reasonable and will it be effective?
For now let's hold off on anything until you pass the OCLT. The last test result I saw was from a few day's ago, with your FC dropping by 4PPM overnight. This is a sign that there's still something consuming your chlorine. I fear that if you jump the gun a bit and stop SLAMMING at this point, there maybe something still growing in the water. Before you let the chlorine level drop low, let's make 100% sure you pass all 3 criteria.
  • CC is 0.5 or lower;
    You pass an OCLT (ie overnight FC loss test shows a loss of 1.0 ppm or less);
    And the water is clear.

What does the water look like?? Besides the stains/black algae on the plaster......is the water sparkling and clear, or is it still kinda dull and a bit cloudy?? Are you using the Pool Calculator or Pool Math???

I don't mean to make you a bit nervous or take away your steam you've built.....I'm just wanting to make 100% sure that all the steps are complete before you finish. The last thing I'd want to see is to slow down now and have all your hard work go down the drain in a few weeks. Better safe than sorry........

Morning FC was 22. :(

On the other hand I'm not sure how I got 25 last night when yesterday morning I added 2 gallons of chlorine to the pool after I tested it at 18, which according to the Pool Calculator was supposed to bring it to 22... So maybe my test results are suspect?

I'm pulling water from approximately the same spot each time. I'm perhaps not consistent with the speed at which I add the drops or the amount of time I swirl between drops...

Regardless, the CC was 1, so there is still something going on.

Tested CYA just because and it was still 80 as predicted.

pH was between 7.5 and 7.8.

The pump was off for part of the night last night. Came on at 1am, turned off at 5am, is currently off.

I bought regular chewable Vitamin C tablets from Target, crushed them, put in a skimmer sock and tested the two larger black spots and nothing happened. I'm testing it on some rusty looking spots on the south side of the steps opposite the slide now.

So... is it time to clean behind the light yet?

You're correct, a CC reading of 1 does hint that something is still going on. I'd suggest that you continue SLAMMING for now.

Let's also switch things up a bit......

You've been using the Pool Calculator goals for your shock levels. These levels are fine, but tend to take longer to kill off everything. Let's take a gun to this knife fight and use the FC/CYA chart (or the new pool math site). Using this it shows your new shock level is 32. Let's bump up your FC level to that and let it run for a day or two, and try the OCLT again.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Re: First SLAM

I know it's frustrating, but remember this post from a few days ago...?

Smykowski said:
Good work so far. Since your pool is pretty clear, there is likely very little in the bulk pool water except the visible algae you see. I bring this up now because you are going to see very small FC drops during this process, but do not stop SLAMing until the visible algae is gone and you pass the overnight loss test. I'm trying to plant the seed of perseverance now so that frustration doesn't derail the process later. Keep scrubbing!

Power through!!!

Re: First SLAM - persevering...

My gut says you're coming close. Bump the FC up to 32 and brush the heck out of the pool. Now maybe a good time to pull the light if you wish. Brush inside the niche if you do. After dark is the best time to do all this, to allow the chlorine to be 100% used up by any organics in the water. Just before bed tonight test the FC and get a good accurate reading AFTER your finial dose of chlorine. Test again in the morning.

You're close, finish off the water, then focus on the stains.

OK, adding chlorine now (just got home with more chlorine after being busy/away all day). Tested level again before adding, had only fallen 1ppm). Added 32 oz 12.5% that I had left and 3 gallons of 10% I just bought which Pool Math should bring level up to 35.

Probably won't mess with light at this point.

Seems like I'm running low on the chlorine testing drops, so I reordered.

Got dark while I was out there. Pump running for now. With the pool light on, could see some particles in the water in front of the light, and cloudiness floating up from the bottom and steps when I brushed.

Visalia where I live is a city in the middle of an agricultural area and we do get dust but I'm sure with the falling chlorine levels that it's not just dust I'm seeing.

Wondering though if the high CH levels I have (925 last I checked -- granted I don't know how accurately I performed the test) and white precipitate I'm seeing in the Polaris bag is related the "dust"/cloudiness when brushing?

Also, thinking aloud, any idea why chlorine seem to hold better in the day than at night?

LaVidaVi said:
Also, thinking aloud, any idea why chlorine seem to hold better in the day than at night?

I'd chalk this one up to testing. You added chlorine after your last test last night, and aren't 110% sure of your night time reading. Really don't know how much you lost last night.

Tonight, test about 30 minutes after your finial dose of chlorine. I'm guessing you'll have less of a drop tonight.

Hmm... I don't recall adding (or stating that I added) any chlorine after the test yesterday evening which said 25... but I suppose that test in and of itself may not have been accurate -- user error is certainly not outside the realm of possibility.

I added chlorine at sunset tonight, then left for another family dinner.

So even though it's already 9:00 p.m., is it ok to test now for a baseline for the OCLT?

On the other hand I'm not sure how I got 25 last night when yesterday morning I added 2 gallons of chlorine to the pool after I tested it at 18, which according to the Pool Calculator was supposed to bring it to 22... So maybe my test results are suspect?

This was what made me wonder about your last OCLT. Any time after the sun goes down is just fine to start your OCLT (bit late for me to be adding this in) so your starting number of 9:45 is perfect. Let's see what this morning brings. :D

Good Luck!!!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.