Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Self Designed Pool Build - Phoenix, AZ

1. Back To Top    #1

Self Designed Pool Build - Phoenix, AZ

Hey everyone...new member here and we just stared building a pool a couple weeks ago.

We did our own design (hey, they said any shape!) and wanted a sort of Mediterranean/Old World feel to it (I know you're thinking Lions Heads, really? ). Pool is not that big or deep, but it's not like we're going to be doing laps.

Had to sort of get on it pretty quick as the neighbor was cool enough to let us go through his yard since our side access is only 5' wide and his is a lot bigger...but he is starting his backyard landscaping so had to at least do the dig pretty fast.

Some specs and details:

22' x 17'
    336 SQ FT Area
    83' Perimeter
    10,500 Gallon

6' long Baja entry w/ umbrella sleeve
    Two in-pool TrazoCrete 30" round tables w/ umbrella sleeves
    Wrap around bench seating
    36" Sheer decent waterfall & 2 Lions Heads scuppers
    MagnaSweep Select in-floor cleaning system (lifetime warranty)
    PebbleSheen White Diamonds w/ 20% Luminous Blue Blend glass interior finish (lifetime warranty)
    Intellicolor 5G pool light
    Pentair Clean & Clear 420 Foot Cartridge
    Pentair Intellifo VS3050 Variable Speed Pump.
    Travertine 12"x6" coping

This is design we gave them...

And this is what they came up with...

This is the interior finish, we really wanted that sparkling aqua blue color.

Table finish and waterline tile.

Water feature finish.

Travertine coping finish.

And on to the fun stuff...

First the layout, the messed it up the first time (put the pool to far forward) and had to come out and do it again.

Neighbor let us knock down his side wall and go through his yard. He was going to put in an RV gate anyway so it wasn't a huge inconvenience, plus I gave him some money and paid the pool buys to remove all that dirt you see on the side there...but still way cool of him to allow us to do it.

Fence between our yards knocked down and excavator coming through...

Let the digging begin!

Pool all dug out and forms in place. The soil here is pretty crappy, it's amazing anything grows at all.

Plumbing...

Rebar...

Shotcrete...

They placed the pool light too low, it was supposed to be centered in that middle column but they are saying it will be ok, light output won't be affected.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New Pool Build - Phoenix, AZ

Hi, welcome to TFP! Very nice so far!
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

it looks very nice, what pool builder did you go with?
    17k IG pool (34' X 19'), Pebble Plus Interior - Artic, Hayward ECO Star Variable Speed Pump, Hayward ProLogic P-4, Hayward 480 Cartridge Filter,
    (2) Jandy Deck Jet's and (1) bubbler, Wave Force Cleaning System, Trident UV sanitation System, TF-100 test kit with SpeedStir
    My Pool Build

4. Back To Top    #4

Looks like it will be an amazing pool!!
    Tracy

35' X 19' pool (pool depth: 3.5', 5.5', 4'. Perimeter 97) 2 HP Jandy (2 speed)
    Spa 9.6' X 7.4' (10 jets total- 4 on circ, 6 on 2hp booster, 6' cascade spillway to pool). Heater: 400 BTU LXi
    Tanning ledge and benches covered with stone. 2 LED pool lights, 1 LED spa light.
    PebbleSheen finish in Aqua Blue
    30" gas fire pit raised 18".

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks guys! We went with Tribal Waters for the pool build.

6. Back To Top    #6

Update time!

They did the water feature, waterline tile and coping this week, though they are still working on the coping.
    Next up is install of the in-floor cleaning heads, the in-pool tables, yard clean up and then the Pebblesheen finish and done!

I love how the water feature is framed in the window from inside the house, it'll be nice when the water fall is running.

7. Back To Top    #7

looks great. are you going with the same color for the decking as the coping?
    17k IG pool (34' X 19'), Pebble Plus Interior - Artic, Hayward ECO Star Variable Speed Pump, Hayward ProLogic P-4, Hayward 480 Cartridge Filter,
    (2) Jandy Deck Jet's and (1) bubbler, Wave Force Cleaning System, Trident UV sanitation System, TF-100 test kit with SpeedStir
    My Pool Build

8. Back To Top    #8

I had the same shotcrete crew do my pool. I was very pleased with them, they did an awesome job.
    My Pool Build

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by mcanchola2
    looks great. are you going with the same color for the decking as the coping?
    No, the plan is to go with pavers for the decking to match the pavers on the patio.

10. Back To Top    #10

Re: Self Designed Pool Build - Phoenix, AZ

Looking good Val!

11. Back To Top    #11

And it's done!!! It's now filling up with water from the hose (should take about 6 hours I guess) and then they will be back in a couple days for the start-up process! It think with the blue beads in the finish, we should get that nice sparking blue water we're looking for.

Since last update, they finished the coping, came out and did the PebbleTec BeatCrete surface, then came back out the next day buffed, power washed and acid washed the pool...here are the pics.

12. Back To Top    #12

Is it full yet? Please post pics as I'd love to see it full of water! I really like the finish you chose!
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

13. Back To Top    #13

Still not full...I must have the slowest hose ever. Has about 1 ft still left till it reaches the middle of the waterline tile. It's also cloudy outside today so not a good day for pictures...I'll put some up though as soon as it looks good!

14. Back To Top    #14

I think many, including myself, don't mind if the pictures are cloudy! Would like to see how your finish looks in the cloudy weather, and then what it looks like under sun. Your pool looks great!!
    Build Complete! : 111ft pool + 8.5x5.5ft spa (12" raised), ~22k gallons, Shotcrete, Stonescapes MiniPebble (Aqua Blue), 3 scuppers, 3 bubblers, Large Tanning Ledge, Long Bench, Pentair: Intelliflow 3050 VS, 1.5HP WhisperFlow (scuppers), Quad 100 DE filter, MasterTemp 400k, IC60 SWG, Intellichem+Acid Tank, 2HP Silencer Blower, travertine decking (~680ft2), dry stack flagstone raised wall / spa spillway

15. Back To Top    #15

Wow! That's awesome!
    Finally Done! - 21x34 IG, SWCG, depth - 3.6 - 4.6 - 6.6, Pentair IntelliFlow 3050 vs+svrs, 60 sq ft Pentair DE Filter, 400k BTU Heater, Polaris 280 w/.75 hp booster pump, Pentair EasyTouch wireless, 38 sq ft raised spa, wet edge Barbados quartz finish - ODK w/36 in Napoleon grill

16. Back To Top    #16

Well the sun ended up coming out and the pool is full of water so here it is. Water color is nice, though a little bluer would be nice...I'm thinking it will change a little after they do the startup and the chlorine does it's thing?

Simulated view while sitting at the table.

17. Back To Top    #17

Looks fantastic, congratulations!
    As for the color - it looks incredibly blue (and clear) to me for just after the fill, it'll almost certainly get bluer when you add chlorine to it.
    38'x24' freeform IG gunite, 26k gallons, 3.5' - 7'
    8t Moss rock waterfall with gunite slide
    SWCG, 2 x 2.7hp Hayward Tristar pumps, booster pump, 425 sqft cartridge, 400,000 BTU heater, Polaris Black Max 280, ProLogic PS8 & Aquapod

18. Back To Top    #18

Spectacular! The only thing missing from your simulated view is a frosty adult beverage!
    Finally Done! - 21x34 IG, SWCG, depth - 3.6 - 4.6 - 6.6, Pentair IntelliFlow 3050 vs+svrs, 60 sq ft Pentair DE Filter, 400k BTU Heater, Polaris 280 w/.75 hp booster pump, Pentair EasyTouch wireless, 38 sq ft raised spa, wet edge Barbados quartz finish - ODK w/36 in Napoleon grill

19. Back To Top    #19

One thing I wish I had was a table to sit at in my pool. Maybe the next house we buy. Looks great.
    Approx 11K Gal. 10'X30' Semi free-form IG - 6 ' raised spa w/6 jets - 10' circle sun shelf with 1 bubbler - Waterfall - 3 / 1.5 HP pumps - Polaris 280 Cleaner - 3 Pentair Color LED Intellibrite Lights - Pentair 400K Master Temp - 2 Valve Actuators - 5 Fiberstar Mini Laminars - 1 Fiberstars 2004 Illuminator - 2 Skimmers - 6 Returns - Caribbean Blue Pebble Tech - 600+ sq ft kool decK - Auto Fill - 2 Boston Acoustics VOYA RK5 Outdoor Rock Speakers - 2 TIC Corporation TFS5CN 6.5-Inch 150-Watt Terra-Forms Rock Speakers - Apple Airport Express - 1 Awesome View.

20. Back To Top    #20

Thanks guys! Looking forward to warmer weather to enjoy that frosty beverage poolside!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast