low filter pressure

Nov 11, 2013
hi all, this happened a few weeks ago.
My sand filter was unusually loud, so i went to see why. The sand filter pressure was really low, between 0-5 on the gauge.
So, i backwashed it and everything has been working nicely since then.
Just wanted to know, what do you think could be causing this. I don't think there was anything stuck in the piping.
Prior to that backwash, i backwashed when required, this was the first time it was loud noise from filter.
Pool level water, has always been right.
Also, for some reason, there was an oily film circulating on top of the pool, dark in colour, definitely oil. It went away and hasn't returned since.
I must mention, this is only the 10th month i've been a pool owner. The winterising of my swimming pool hasn't been done, not sure if this is affecting it.

thankyou.

nick.

Hi, Nick,

Well, that is puzzling because backwashing your filter should decrease your pressure (or remain the same) but it should not increase it.

Low psi indicates some type of restriction on the suction side of your system.....debris wrapped on the impeller, partial blockage of the pipes, a valve partially closed, etc.

May have been coincidental and I'm glad it's fixed but the symptom and the cure don't match up.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.