Thread: digital testing

1. Back To Top    #1

In the Industry

digital testing

has anyone had any good or bad experiences with the myron ultrapen series

2. Back To Top    #2
    Tucson, AZ

Re: digital testing

I doubt anyone has. We generally feel that the drop based tests are more reliable than digital tests ... unless you spend a lot of money and have it calibrated often.

There are many posts about digital testers. Here is one that seems to sum it up:
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: digital testing

Quote Originally Posted by holden94
    has anyone had any good or bad experiences with the myron ultrapen series
    I'm sorry I'm late on this, but would like to weigh in. I have wanted to try the ultra pens for pH and conductivity since they came out, but I've used the handhelds shown above those for 10+ years. As for them, they are the best handheld meters that I am aware of. I carry the 6P daily, but it's a $900.00 instrument. I like them well enough that I have no interest in trying another brand, but I suspect the pens are very good. Based on my experience I would certainly try them out, but can't justify the cost of doing so. Keep in mind that if you do, they will still need regular calibration, so you'll have to keep fresh solutions on hand to accomplish that. If you can spend the funds, I would suggest one of the others above, rather than all or some of the pens. Factor in an annual replacement of the pH/ORP sensor at 200.00, and about half of that or so for cal solutions, and you'll have an idea of the real world cost to run one. You'll likely get more than a year out of the pH sensor doing pools if you maintain it well, but you just never know.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    TF-100 Test Kit, ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Flagstone, 36"SF, Pentair VS Pump, EasyTouch W/Remote, Rheem 400KBTU Htr