AA treatment, is it too cold? 48F

Colder temperatures slow down all chemical reactions. The AA treatment will still work as long as you don't add any chlorine. The good news is that the colder water will slow the chlorine demand, all other factors being equal. You can add polyquat 60 to the water before starting the stain treatment as extra insurance against getting algae while the chlorine is low.

That is what I figured. If there is no real downside I think I will wait until next spring when I start to open. I don't really want to do the treatment and then wait to close for a couple of weeks.

Is it okay to just let it go for awhile?

If it were me, I would wait until spring. Come spring, I would suggest opening the pool once water temperatures hit 50-55° F. The water will still be cool enough to diminish the likelihood of algae. For now, I would winterize the pool per our recommendations in Pool School.

When you open in the spring, remove any large debris, if any, and then run a full series of tests and note the results. After that, prep your pool for the AA treatment and begin that. If your test results show that your CYA and/or CH (calcium) levels are high enough to necessitate draining some water, the best time to do that is upon completion of the AA treatment. This will remove some of the metals along with some of the CYA and/or CH.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.