Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Need advice on a warranty issue (compupool)

1. Back To Top    #1

Need advice on a warranty issue (compupool)

Hi all,

About a month before my 2 year warranty on my compupool chlorinator expired, the cell caught fire. I contacted compupool, and they said they would replace it.

After several calls ( no parts in stock )I finally received a new cell and power cord. upon opening the power supply I noticed the power supply had burned as well.

I contacted compupool and now they're informing me that the model I had purchased is discontinued, and all they're offering me is a complete replacement unit for $375.

Do I have any other options?

Thanks
    15,000Gal AG , Plaster, DE, 1.5HP, Compupool SWG

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Need advice on a warranty issue (compupool)

If it is still within the warranty period, I would think most businesses should offer replacement with their current comparable model if the same is no longer available.

Now making them think that may be a challenge ... best you can due is escalate to someone higher at the company and not give in ... assuming that everything "should" be covered under warranty.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

I agree. I neglected to inform you that since my initial call, over 3 months have passed, rendering the product out of warranty.

4. Back To Top    #4

Well, that may certainly lower your leverage, but there is a chance that someone could still be reasonable.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

5. Back To Top    #5

Yes, but I did not receive any replacement parts until this Friday. It took them 3 months to send me some replacement parts, and as soon as I opened the unit to replace the power cable I discovered the power supply was burnt and contacted them immediately.

Should I be penalized that it took them 3 months to send me replacement parts after I informed them that the product had failed, and contacted them immediately after I noticed that the damage extended to the power supply?

Am I being obtuse? or am I right?

6. Back To Top    #6

It would seem to me that you have a reasonable case ... but it is not up to me (or this forum) to say who is right/wrong.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

7. Back To Top    #7

Agreed.

I wanted to put everything on the table, and see if anybody else has run into this issue, and if they can advise what they did.

Thanks

8. Back To Top    #8

I can understand you frustrations. I've been through several units different problems, but no fire/burning/melting. I would write on paper why do you feel you're entitled to a replacement unit. Keep it to facts relative. Keep it professional/not personal.
    for example:
    Cell shorted out/called service/service didn't say to inspect power supply/upon receipt of new parts and opening of power supply noticed power supply is burned/damaged.
    Ask why should you pay additional $375 for a covered part?
    When they reply upgraded equipment, counter that a remanufactured power supply will be acceptable with warrantee. By discontinuing the product they've inadvertently acknowledged a fault with the unit.
    They are still listing the CPSC series on their web site.
    Ask them for clarification.
    Sorry about your troubles. Hope you get it resolved in a timely manner.

They are about an hour drive from me. I actually pulled the cell and power supply and brought it in to swap out. I've recalibrated the my unit to draw only 28 amps to the cell at 100%. I get a high salt indication but unit produces chlorine no problem currently set at 80% 10 hours a day.

At this time I'm satisfied with the unit. Not strongly recommending as I did in the past. It still beats having to manually add chlorine.
    17K Kidney Shaped Pool Concrete (Diamond Bright) Pool, 3/4 hp 2 speed 115V Sta-rite Duraglas PEA5D-180L/P2R5D-181L (Impeller C105-92PS Diffuser C1-216P), 1.5 piping, Pentair CC100 Filter , Heat Siphon 100K BTU Heat Pump Pool Heater, Flow meter Blue White Flowmeter Model No. F-30150P, Hayward Astrolight SP0581N, SWCG CalimarTitanium Edition TE45 , Dolphin Nautilus Plus with CleverClean, Lakeland Florida

9. Back To Top    #9

surely if they can't replace the unit they should at least be able to supply the main board? how do they expect to service all the thousands of the units of discontinued model that they have sold?

10. Back To Top    #10

Their statement was the replacement parts are scarce.