Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: How much water on cover

1. Back To Top    #1

How much water on cover

Hey guy's I know you are all sick of answering winter cover questions so here's another one How much water do you try to leave on the cover throughout the winter?

Intex 16X48, Intex sand filter, Game 3/4 HP pump. Springfield Mo

2. Back To Top    #2
    Gurnee, IL (North Suburban Chi-town)

Re: How much water on cover

I personally shoot for between a half inch and an inch. Any less and it blows around too much. Much more and it puts too much stress on the overlap.
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

3. Back To Top    #3

North Shore Massachusetts

I use a fine mesh winter cover, so the answer for me is zero water on the cover.
    2002 24' Aluminium Sharkline Coronado 52" AG Pool, Hayward EC50 DE Filter, Hayward 1HP Power-Flo LX Pump, TF-100 Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

western NY

Mine, 18' above ground, I don't keep any on it...when possible. During the fall months, with all of the trees around my yard, I keep the water pumped off so the leaves can be cleaned out easier. Right now there is water on the cover due to the heavy rain we are getting today. If the wind picks up any it will still billow up on one side with all of the water accumulated on the other side. With no water the wind still billows it up but, it cleans all of the debris off so I don't have a swamp in the spring.
    Unknown make 18' above ground (bought used in 1999) Sparco sand filter. Hayward 100,000 BTu heater. 2 speed pump